News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SuperBird NOS black vinyl top material - WIW ? (pics posted)

Started by odcics2, July 28, 2014, 04:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

On the roll, 52" wide by almost 14' long.
Date coded on the back 3-69. (ok, would fit other B Bodies also!)
Easily enough for one car or maybe two, if cut out carefully(?)

Came from estate of woman that worked at the Detroit Trim plant off of I-75.

Photos later -  Any ideas on value?
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

odcics2

1970 RT/SE

Aero426

Over $1000.   I could see $1200-1500, particularly if you could do two cars.   It's dated, and you can bet it's going to be different than the reproduction material.      Finding this kind of material is very difficult.  Sort of like NOS nose decals. 

Ghoste

For my own understanding, how different and in what ways is it from repro material?  (aside from the date code no one will see of course)

62 Max

Quote from: Ghoste on July 31, 2014, 09:02:58 AM
For my own understanding, how different and in what ways is it from repro material?  (aside from the date code no one will see of course)

This is also N.O.S. material,the grain is much courser than the reproduction.at least it was when it was first reproduced.

odcics2

Quote from: 62 Max on July 31, 2014, 09:49:52 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on July 31, 2014, 09:02:58 AM

This is also N.O.S. material,the grain is much courser than the reproduction.at least it was when it was first reproduced.

What he said & thicker, too.  Also thicker backing material...
A guy with a 318 69 Charger would value it differently than a guy with a Hemi 4 speed Bird, in my opinion.

Ghoste

Along the same note, what are the differences in the nose decals?

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on August 01, 2014, 10:26:22 AM
Along the same note, what are the differences in the nose decals?

Original nose decals have some texture.   I have seen black stripes on an original Challenger T/A with the same material.   It was a 3M material called "Hi-Caf" or something like that.   Either way, it is unobtanium.   John Borzych's orange Superbird used original nose decals.   That will set that car apart.    

If Dave Walden wants a challenge, it should be to come up with the proper textured material for these stripes and decals. 

nascarxx29

Di Noc type decal material hasnt been available for over thirty years         http://www.wwnboa.org/askexpert.htm
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

odcics2

Ghoste

FJ5WING

just to stay off track for another post, I thought Dave Patik offered the correct nose decal material if asked for. he said it was textured and not wax/polish friendly. I opted to not go with it because id rather not have the correct decals that got smudged and don't look so nice. (I am not implying Johns car does look nice! Its beautiful!)
wingless now, but still around.

Aero426

I don't think anyone offers the correct material as delivered from the factory.   

odcics2

Aero426

I know a guy who could check on it.   But the one on the right of that photo isn't close.   That one still looks like woodgrain.

odcics2

NEW DI-NOC Designs for 2014

From industrial concretes to elegantly aged woods; vibrant pops of color to rich marbles, the collection of 200+ new globally inspired designs is sophisticated yet accessible.

Maybe something in row 6 ?     (just showing part if the over 200+ designs)