News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car Craft says the new Challenger a Long Shot.

Started by dkn1997, March 16, 2006, 09:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

They had a blurb on it this month.  they say "so will it go into production? At this moment, unlikely"

What the F?
RECHRGED

bull

I'll tell you WTF. DCX would rather crank out four door cars that look like catfish. It's the German way. :yesnod:

tipopiola

I just took about 50 high school juniors and seniors to the Minneapolis Auto Show yesterday.  They had they new Challenger there and it looked awesome.  When I asked em' all what their favorite cars were about half of them said the Challlenger.  The others picked the 2.5 million dollar Mazeratti.  Just goes to show you that Chrysler doesn't care what people want.  Even if it goes over well with the public it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't see production  :rotz: .  Tipopiola

RD

Quote from: bull on March 16, 2006, 09:29:40 PM
I'll tell you WTF. DCX would rather crank out four door cars that look like catfish. It's the German way. :yesnod:

bull! LOL, i forgot all about that pic that I made of trevor creed!!!!  bwhahahahaha  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

bull

Quote from: RD on March 16, 2006, 10:08:00 PM

bull! LOL, i forgot all about that pic that I made of trevor creed!!!!  bwhahahahaha  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Not me. I saved it and use it once in a while when circumstances dictate. Too bad you didn't copywrite it, think of all the royalties.

TheGhost

I find that hard to believe.  With every car magazine raving about the Challenger, and it being the favorite car from, the Detroit auto show, I think, then it would be an incredibly stupid move to not make the car.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Silver R/T

with DCX bringing out 4 dr 'beastiality' I can see them shut down new Challenger
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Crazy Larry

I'll tell you WTF. DCX would rather crank out four door cars that look like catfish.

:smilielol: :haha: :smilielol: :haha:

Catfish! I'm just getting the visual now!

Brilliant!

HDCharger

I'd put my bucks on it being produced and being very much like the one in detroit.
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

41husk

It may get built, but how long will they wait?  The original challenger was doomed from the start because it showed up to late to the dance.  It was built to compete with the Mustang and Cammaro.  What is the new Challenger supposed to compete with?  The new Mustang!!  The car that dealers can't keep on the lot.  Can you say history repeats it's self?  :'(
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

1970440RT

18 months kids.  Be patient.  It will come.  The decision is not whether to produce it, but how to market it.  As of now, the thinking is to make it high end & available only with the Hemi.  Translation:  no 6 cyl or 4.7L.

Despite what "official" company statements say, the Charger is not selling as well as insiders expected.  According to two sources, a decision is forthcoming on how to proceed.  The platform will remain, so I imagine they are talking about a redesign.  

greenpigs

Did you see Car Crafts project car?

A nasty butt ugly Rambler with a SS\HEMI scoop that is as near wide as the hood.

The AMC project is a nice change but that scoop is OVERKILL and makes the car look like an even bigger joke than it is.

The stuff they print is a few months old at best, I wouldn't worry about what you read unless it is a direct statement from Mopar.

BTW THAT RAMBLER IS UGLY!!!
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Mike DC

QuoteAs of now, the thinking is to make it high end & available only with the Hemi.  Translation:  no 6 cyl or 4.7L.

For this, they're absolute morons.  
The whole point of the great musclecar styling is so that you can leave the Hemi out and people will still actually want the car. 

Look at how GM made an imitation Hummer on the Tahoe chassis.  It's blatantly nowhere close to a real Hummer.  But now they sell a lot more of those imitations to the public than real Hummers (and at $50K apiece).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they make this "Challenger" a Hemi-only car that sells in the $32-38K bracket, it will quickly become a Mopar Corvette.  Then the higher & higher limited-production performance versions will start coming out for $53K.  Eventually it will probably spell the end of the Viper within a decade.  

And then a few more years after that, the rest of the automotive world will be sitting around saying: "Why doesn't DCX shove that Hemi engine into a cool entry-level 2-door RWD model and eat the Mustang for lunch?"

Mark my words.

Ghoste

Let's see, they aren't sure how to market it, they didn't want a two door Charger or any retro hints in the styling of that car because NOOOOOOOOBODY buys two doors or retro cars, the Rustnag is selling like hotcakes, the Charger is selling like wet turds, most Rustnags are sold as six cylinders, so DCX wants to make the Challenger a high end, unaffordable, uninsurable dream car?  Do I about have that right?
Is someone spiking all the water coolers with acid in Auburn Hills?   WTF is the matter with these marketing whiz kids?

41husk

We just aint as smart as them fellas up at DMX.  Us dum car buyers won't never no the difference twix a four door rolin turd and a real muscle car noway :P
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

69charger2002

yah wut he sed. hukd on phonix workd for me!!! build the challenger and they will come.... lots of us...
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

ChargerRob

"ZEZ ZAT 2 DAZ ZUCK!"

That pic is just super funny. :haha: :haha: :lol: :lol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

Headrope

I don't like the Challenger concept. The tail light assembly is clearly inspired by the first gen Chargers. Challengers are not Chargers.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

andy74

i had a long talk with my dcx rep over lunch yesterday,and of course the challenger came up-i have 15 people with cash in hand ready to order if they build it,and thats just me!if every one asks for it,and there will be more surveys/questionares soon-they will build it-ill keep everyone posted

gothemipower

i would buy one !!!! im 15 , hopfully they will make them, so i can put the rustang to shame on the street in a couple of years  :devil:

bull

Quote from: andy74 on March 17, 2006, 09:49:08 PM
i had a long talk with my dcx rep over lunch yesterday,and of course the challenger came up-i have 15 people with cash in hand ready to order if they build it,and thats just me!if every one asks for it,and there will be more surveys/questionares soon-they will build it-ill keep everyone posted

It's odd that they're so worried about the Challenger tanking. I don't get it. They wring their hands and wipe away sweat and do a bunch of surveys and polls. Where was all this concern when they pooped out the '0666?

greenpigs

What Andy said was sorta my point in my first post, listen to someone in the "loop" or a person that is informed. Andy and some others have an inside track that may not be as good as we like but it is still better than a article made 3 months ago. I thought they are not allowed to say things like it will be built unless the automaker says so...lawsuits. In other words even IF they know it is going to be built they still may not be able to say.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

73-charger-383

huh, i called my local dodge dealer yesterday, and asked when it was coming out..........the salesguy said 08, like i was stupid for not knowing.

hemihead

First mistake is taking anything Car Craft prints seriously.As bad as the GM rag Hot Rod.Secondly,the Creeder was built because Herr Creed designed the car and wanted the glory of bringing back the Charger name.And third,the Challenger will be a limited run( I heard 15000),numbered,rich preppy toy.Something for the CEO types to buy.You've seen the type.They have on their racing gloves and their goofy jackets because they think they're cool but they are afraid to go over 50.Same as the Viperturned out to be.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Ghoste

I'm not sure but I think Creed just took the bullet for the team.  He was the head of styling so he was the one who went to the press and made all the stupid statements defending the car but I think he was more of a team lead in this case than the guy who sat down and actually penned it.  As for gaining glory of bringing back the Charger name, they had the car first and then marketing chose the name.  DCX has admitted as much.  They needed a four door intermediate family car to replace the Intrepid so Creed's team provided that and then marketing went around doing research on retro names that were familiar to the general public as being Dodge products.  The "That Thing Got A Hemi" campaign was a monster success for them and they had no idea it would turn out like that so they were desparate to make the lightning strike twice with all the fool boomers who would buy anything with a retro name.
Big surprise when that line of thinking let them down though.  Turns out ugly is ugly and even if every soccer mom in the country who answers your poll at the local Wal-Mart has heard of a Charger because her brothers watched that goofy show with an orange Charger in the 70's, it doesn't mean she'll buy an ugly car just because it has the same name.
Not defending the car or Creed, I just don't recall ever seeing that he personally sat down to try and create a new Charger.