News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project underway

Started by DW, March 16, 2006, 07:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DW

I recently started my first full blown resoration and thought you might like to see a couple pics.  My 13 year old son and I are doing it.  We've pulled the engine, rear end and most of the interior so far.  I've taken about 2000 pics and bagged/tagged everything so far cause I'm paranoid about not remembering how to get it back together.  We're doing this in my 20' x 20' garage.  There's very little room for anything, had to rent a self storage spot to hold the parts we pull off or I wouldn't be able to walk around in the garage.  I still gotta get a compressor but I think I'm going to have to pour a little pad for it on outside the garage and run the pipe through the wall.  Then I'll have to build a little shed around it to protect it.  There's just no room in the garage.

The car is proving to be pretty solid.  Both floorpans have a little rust through in the front.  I think they'll just need patching.  Also both lower qtrs and around the wheel well and a little on the rockers.  I've been looking into welders, can't decide between MIG and TIG so I'm reading all the posts on that subject.  Also still trying to decide whether to sand it down by hand or have it soda blasted.  If I sand I might be able to get a TIG, or if I do this I can afford that... You know what I mean.  We should all be rich.

Anyway, here it is.  I'm sure you'll be hearing from me (especially when I start putting it back together).
1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.  Original 440/727.  B5 Blue with White Interior.  1964 Plymouth Belvedere 383/4-speed.  65 Coronet 4-Dr with poly stroker.

Iceyone

Looks like a better start than most "projects" I've seen lately. Good luck with it.
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal

Tom_440

That's really nice to start with...
Keeping the color?

MGBRingo

Looks like a good solid car to start with.

Make sure the storage place is secure.  Wouldn't want to get those expensive parts stolen.  It happens.

MOPARHOUND!

I'm guessing DD-1 Pale Blue?  Don't see many that shade.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

dodgecharger-fan

Man! That's a nice car to start with.

Self-Storage.... DOH! I shoulda thought of that....

Good plan. My car's taken over a full two bays, a shed, and a few nooks and crannies in the house..

tipopiola

Awesome color.  Looks nicer than any project I ever started with.  Good luck and keep us posted!  Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:

bull

I hope my finished project looks at least as good as your starter project when I'm done. I have to ask, why are you restoring it now? It looks fine.

Troy

Sweet! :thumbs:

After I finish my fleet of Chargers I'm going to have to get me one of those. Maybe I'll just trade a Charger... :scratchchin:

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

rare69

very nice platform to start with, should be awesome when finished.

jaak

I like coronet rt's... good looking project  :icon_smile_big:

Jason

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChargerHound69

That is a great color combo.  I just picked up a 1968 Superbee that I will be starting to restore pretty soon.  Do you have any interior pictures and engine compartment pictures??

blackcharger

very nice indeed. Keep the pics comming.
Dave

tan top

looks to be a good solid  car to start with :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

HDCharger

Oh man.........I really, really, Like.  Wish mine were like that to start.
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

4402tuff4u

Very nice Coronet and welcome aboard! Take plenty of pictures as you dismantle, it will make life easier when re-assembling. :yesnod:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

doctorpimp

NICE CAR!
Welcome to the site ;D
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

hemi68charger

Nice looking R/T...... You're going about it the right way. Tons of pictures, baggies and this board....

Good luck and look forwaard in seeing more of the progress........ Are you going to put her back pretty much OEM or some mod's?

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

DW

Thanks for the comments guys.  I'm not sure what the color is, I don't think it was the original color.  Unfortunately the fender tag was missing, but the color you see is a repaint.  And not a good one.  It looks better in the pics than it is.  There are lots of runs and the tail stripe is painted on rather than a decal.  Looks like they didn't use the right masking tape either, there's a lot of bleeding.  I think the original was a darker blue as I've found a number of places where the top coat is flaking off and that's what I see.  I have an original 68 color chart with the chips and if the light blue is really a 68 Mopar color, I thinks it's Pale Blue Metallic(D) or Light Blue Metallic(U).  I'll probably go back with that color since there's no fender tag or build sheet to verify the original color.

The engine is original, all the codes match and it was complete except the carb.  Don't know about the tranny, but frankly it doesn't look like the drivetrain was ever touched.

Really, the car not near as good as it looks.  One of the lower quarters was replaced already.  But it looks like it was done a long time ago.  I think it was because they ran over something and kicked it up into the lower qtr and fender well.  Look at the pics of the inside of the qtr.  You can see where there are some sort of pins that they used to pull it out or attach it, I don't know which.  Also theres a big blob of bondo patching the wheel well.  It doesn't look like it was damaged anywhere around it.  I'll have to remove the bondo and make a patch for it.  I forgot to mention the trunk floor needs replacing and theres some rust around the rear window and along the sail panel where the vinyl top trim is.

Seems like a good first time project.  It's not too far gone but it does need some rust repair, repaint and drivetrain rebuild. 
1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.  Original 440/727.  B5 Blue with White Interior.  1964 Plymouth Belvedere 383/4-speed.  65 Coronet 4-Dr with poly stroker.

DW

More pics.  The interior is before we tore it down.  It looked pretty good, but still needs some help.

DW

Engine before teardown:

Brock Samson

Nice DW! That's a Keeper.. That rust is typical in those spots,.. had pretty much the same locations but abit worse..  :icon_smile_dissapprove: to put it mildy..

Seems like your Coronet is pretty highly optioned and your trim looks great.. we have a wealth of experts to help ya with your B-bod...  :yesnod:

Nice R/T! funny when folks say R/T they generaly mean a Coronet.. perhaps because there was an r/t coronet ('67) before there was a Charger R/T ('68).

anyhow, this site is extreamly friendly to Coronets...   :icon_smile_wink:
Great Pics.  Thanks..

BigBlockSam

nice car and air conditioning too. looks like its in good shape . you'll know a little more after you sand blast some of those funky areas. i dig those r/t's and superbees. my fav is b5 blue with white interior. so your car is rite up my alley. good luck with her and keep posting pics. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

PocketThunder

So coronet package trays are differnent from charger?  the speaker hole is front to back instead of side to side?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."