News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Antenna lengths

Started by Ghoste, July 08, 2014, 01:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

How are antenna lengths determined for automotive applications?  We went from the telescoping masts on our cars, to fixed masts shortly after and now they have the stubby little fin type ones, I thought there was a specific length needed?

John_Kunkel

The perfect FM antenna length depends on the actual frequency of the station, I believe they chose 29-30" as a good mid-band length to cover the entire frequency band.

I imagine the current "stubby" antennas incorporate some sort of device to simulate a longer length.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

Are AM stations affected the same way?  And I will guess not here since fixed mast coincides with the rise of FM as the preferred way.

ODZKing

b5blue

AM or amplitude modulated could benefit from a varying mast length as the actual length of the antenna could help receive (or tune out unwanted) reception. FM or frequency modulated is much less sensitive to tweaking mast length. Your tuner in the radio is actually tweaking the mast length in AM. As music is frequency based FM naturally works much better.
  Think of AM as transmitting bigger and smaller waves and FM as transmitting more and less waves. So by farting around with the telescoping mast you can find a length that give you the best reception for your favorite AM station. As FM became 1st choice a solid mast became a cheaper more practical alternative.   
   Stubby antennas have windings that simulate a full length like a pole mast would be.   

Ghoste

Okay, that makes sense, thanks.