News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71/72 charger parts on 73 charger SE

Started by Pat1973charger, July 07, 2014, 08:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat1973charger

Hi, I have a few questions for the third gen guys. I have a 73 charger SE. It needs a lot of work, I'm wondering if anyone has ever put goodmark rear frame rails for 71-74 b body? Also I am looking at AMD trunk floor, outer wheel houses, and trunk drop offs. I have a lead on a 71 superbee hood, a mint set of 72 fenders and a 72 4 speed console (my car is a 727). So basically I'm wondering how this stuff fits if anyone knows?

Thanks,
Pat

ACUDANUT

The body lines will not line up. If your heart is set at restoring a 73/74 Charger, then find a donor.  If not, invest in a 71/72 Charger. It's better money, better spent.  :Twocents:

Pat1973charger

My heart is set on restoring a 69 charger, but until the day I find a decent shell for a decent price I'm going to continue on my 73. I don't want to make my 73 into a 71/72 bit I can get these parts and charger parts aren't easy to find aroud here. That's why I asked about the hood fenders and console. I read that the hoods and fenders fit and body lines line up just the wheel arch is different height, was wondering if anyone ever did it as how it faired out. Consoles I know are the same I just wasn't sure if a auto and manual were the same. The new parts all list as 71-74 B body I was just curious if anyone has ever used that stuff on their car and how it went.

Pat

ODZKing

Not just the wheel openings. Doors are different 71-2 to 73-4. So as said earlier the lines will not match up.
Interior stuff is mostly the same and you can probably make trunk pieces and under stuff work with some massaging.
There is a fellow here who is selling very nice quarters and I saw someone just yesterday sellin fenders on FBBO.
Hood is the same, I have a 71 SuperBee hood on my 73.
Contact VegasCharger, see if he has any sheet metal left.

E5 Charger

Pat, the console opening for the 4 speed and automatic are different. The 4 speed opening is much larger and has part of the console side cut out.

Pat1973charger

In thought they probabaly were, I guess I'll hVe to swap in a 4 speed  ;D

Pat1973charger

ACUDANUT

Do it then. Don't say we told you so.

Nacho-RT74

specifically the parts you are wondering.

-Fenders will match exteriorly and you can bolt in, but won't match on some interior areas, specifically those around radiator support.
-Floor related parts... don't worry, they are the same
-Rear frame sections... same as above.
-Console... not a prob.
-Outer wheel housing... per AMD website, works with little mods... now, what are those mods? dunno
-Hoods? will interchange, not prob

On the link posted to the 3rd gen website... needs some editing job about stuff I have learnt allong the years
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ACUDANUT

E5 Charger

Sorry Nacho, the console will fit but there is a difference. It's not a great photo, but it does show the cut out on the side of the console. The top opening is also larger on the 4 speed.

Nacho-RT74

of course is the same ALLONG the years with a small diff on earlier 71s productions on rear, where lates got an ashtray, but earliers a large cutout to seatbelts buckles storaging, but allways considering the tranny. Sorry didn't read the tranny difference on OP.

Console gots small changes on how they are assemblied too on earlier 71s, but as full assembly, will fit exactly the same to all years

Top Plate changes too.

if you got a 4 speed console, you are set to get it to a future manual tranny upgrade ( plus the tranny hump floor needed )... or sell it good to get an auto one.

HOWEVER, need to note you can still use the 4 speeds console on an auto car and just change the top plate ( top area of console admits both tranny setups, just finish plate changes to fill the cut out on top )... and consider the bottom part of console will show the cut out for the hump used on manual tranny cars. Not easy to see once mounted though

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Pat1973charger

Thanks nacho, that's kind of what I was thinking just wanted to confirm with the charger guru's.  I don't mind doing a little mod here and there to fenders and wheel houses, as long as bumpers and doors and cost lines will match properly. Now to find the rear section parts somewhere in Canada so I don't get raped on duties.

Thanks, Pat

E5 Charger

Pat1973charger

E5 Charger

I'm in Manitoba. I sometimes have parts shipped to a service at the US border to pick up myself and save on shipping. The service is only $5 per box and the border hasn't charged anything on the used parts yet. Haven't bought anything new from the US yet, but anything US made should be duty free. I got stung once with brokerage fees on a UPS shipment, so now always try to have the sender use the US Post to avoid that.

Pat1973charger

Thanks for the info I was thinking of trying to find a reputable cdn dealer for the new parts.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Pat1973charger on July 09, 2014, 12:07:27 PM
  I don't mind doing a little mod here and there to fenders and wheel houses, as long as bumpers and doors and cost lines will match 

actually is not that easy!!! and installing just as is, won't be able to match the radiator core support areas and bolting places. Can't talk if you could maybe remove those diff parts from your old 73 fender and weld them into the 72 fender.

Front valance to fender shield is diff too. Will just partially match

and wheel opening curve is not the same. Lower cut in 71/72 You won't be able to fit 73/74 wheel opening molding

Pat1973charger

I don't have any of the wheel well
Trim anyway so I could get the 72 ones for the front I suppose.

Nacho-RT74

wheel opening trim is diff profile between 71/72 and 73/74. "flat" on 71/72 and "stepped" on 73/74, so won't match... I can't recall if rears interchanges though, being able to use a full 71/72 set on a 73/74 with 71/72 fenders. I think is posible.

Pat1973charger

Thanks for all the input, I will figure out the wheel well moldings when time comes, maybe delete them who knows. Has anyone here ever used the replacement rear frame rails, wheel houses or trunk floor ?

ACUDANUT

Why would you want to mess with that. Find a better 73/74 Charger to throw money at. Or my favorite, 71/72 Chargers.  :2thumbs:

AKcharger

Nope...no way in heck would 71/72 fenders ever fit on a '73/74 or vise versa... the body lines would be off and look completely different  :whistling:

Pat1973charger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 18, 2014, 01:41:44 PM
Why would you want to mess with that. Find a better 73/74 Charger to throw money at. Or my favorite, 71/72 Chargers.  :2thumbs:

There just aren't that many chargers around here I had to drive over 6 hours one way to get this wreck.

Quote from: AKcharger on July 19, 2014, 08:01:05 AM
Nope...no way in heck would 71/72 fenders ever fit on a '73/74 or vise versa... the body lines would be off and look completely different  :whistling:

I thought I had saw something before about your car having 73/74 fender on your 71/72 (not sure what yours is, sorry)

AKcharger

It's mine. '72 with a '73/74 front right pax fender. really puzzled me when I 1st got car. I'd park it one way (drivers side) and it would look fine. Then on other occasions I'd park it the other way (pax side) and the front end looked too high?? wasn't till I got to doing body work I discovered the difference of the fender openings...difference is minimal