News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Color change dilemma on my matching #s 69' R/T

Started by indreams84, June 27, 2014, 12:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Only wimps wear Bowties !

indreams84

Challenger340, I definitely know what a B$%^# it is to keep a black car clean...my primary driver is a BMW Dinan 3 coupe in Jet Black and it's a constant battle....but when they are clean they look second to none. Have you had your Charger for a while, I swear I saw one like that for sale recently advertised as all-original (beautiful, btw)?

I do think alot of the fellas on here are possibly in my dad's age bracket (45-55 years old) and he tells me the same as what I have been reading: Sell it, buy another one. But when is the last time you guys saw a very nice 69' documented, matching R/T that is fully restored for under $40k?.....my dad has this early-mid 90s mindset when these cars were more plentiful AND original.

I feel like I will give it a few years before I make any rash changes such as a paint change, especially since this car has never been painted another color besides the one when it rolled off the plant floor.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T #s Matching

TUFCAT

If you sell it...someone else may repaint it!!! ~~ Just sayin"!

Ghoste

Don't you love the "revisiting" with black too.  You can detail it to death and make it glistening perfection and then as you're putting all the cleaning products away accidently touch the top of the fender with you sweaty forearm and boom, you're right back in.  haha
And of course when you hit the sweaty spot with detail spray it just spreads it around and makes the love bigger.  :lol:

Challenger340

Quote from: indreams84 on June 29, 2014, 11:01:24 AM
Challenger340,  Have you had your Charger for a while, I swear I saw one like that for sale recently advertised as all-original (beautiful, btw)?

Nope, I've only had mine about a year.... and yes I did investigate re-selling it right after I purchased it to ascertain "actual" value.
At my age... because I never planned on acquiring another classic car... it literally just "dropped in my Lap out of the blue one day".... it is part of succession planning to ensure value of anything I may leave behind... and "assets" are only "worth", what someone is willing to actually PAY in a given market.
I am satisfied now, that I paid far less than market value, a good asset, and more importantly so is the wife !

Yes, it is all original, with the exception of an exterior re-paint in 1984, with very minimal bodywork required at that time. No rust... never was, trunk and all panels are original as well, and I can't believe how well the original 440 Magnum runs for having never been rebuilt, or out of the Car since new.

It's good that you own a BLACK Car already, and understand the maintenance with cleaning ? just thought I would mention it. 
Only wimps wear Bowties !

tan top

awesome looking charger  in Y3 & black :drool5: :2thumbs:

think you would be Crazy to do a color change  :yesnod:,
to  change the color & do it properly , its not a 5 minute job even if the existing body & paint are arrow straight , its a complete strip down & every thing taken off or out  :Twocents: .

think Y3 with black top & interior , is a really striking color combo ,
 but so is black  :drool5: :yesnod:  actually all the color combos on a 69 are awesome in their own way, I know  what you mean having your heart set on a black charger , when I was looking for mine , it had to be a R/T in Y2 yellow & black top /interior  :drool5: , nothing else would do  :lol: but that was 25 plus years ago ! things are some what different now !  to find the exact charger in the color combo you want with in budget .
 10 years ago I would always say , paint it what ever the fender tag says  :yesnod:  ! but  lifes too short ,  if its black you want ! paint it black ,  do what ever makes you happy  :cheers: , still don't think its a good idea on your particular charger though , if it was a rotted out wreck needing a resto & had every thing missing etc  maybe do a color change, !!  :-\  :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

HeavyFuel

Quote from: indreams84 on June 27, 2014, 08:46:00 PM
Someone asked why I got into this hobby.....well it was more of a childhood dream to own a 69' R/T...to have the "real-deal" or a matching #s car that was extremely well-cared for and restored to a high #2, within my budget. This car met all those criteria. I am 29 years old, I could not wait until I was 40 to see if I could afford a "true" black/red/blue R/T that was matching #s as who knows what they will be worth by then.

Quote from: indreams84 on June 28, 2014, 03:08:04 PM
I waited 20 years for a real R/T restored correctly.....she ain't going anywhere for a long, long time.

Damn, do I feel like an underachiever.   

At nine years old, I was still waiting for my first pube to show up, not jonesing for a numbers musclecar....