News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Color change dilemma on my matching #s 69' R/T

Started by indreams84, June 27, 2014, 12:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

I think it comes down to what are you going to do with the car

Keep it forever and be burried in it

OR

Sell it in a couple of years and find something else interesting

You say the car has been repainted to the original colour so it does not have the original paint still on the car

If you are only going to keep it a short time and move on I think I would leave the colour factory
If you are going to enjoy it for many years paint it the colour you like and let the next guy paint it back if they want
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

don duick

Have you owned a black car before ? I used to like black until I painted my 68 coronet black after 6 months I could not stand the sight of it. Will never have a black car again. It is one of those colors that looks great upon initial sighting really does suit the charger but living with it is another story.

ws23rt

My opinion is on the side of leaving the car as is and look for what you want some more. You bought this car for what reason?
There are many non matching/ clone/ whatever cars out there that can be an open canvas for what you want until you finally find the original car of your dreams.

Let's say you came across two cars the color you want. How much extra would you be willing to pay for an original?

This is a question that helps define where we are in the hobby as well as how much money we are willing to spend.

You could pay to get the color you want and diminish the future value of the car some but that is part of the cost of the color change.

Changing the color would however increase the value of the remaining original cars by reducing their number.

I suppose the car could be returned to original color in the future but at a cost. In the end do what moves you with all the information and opinions you can gather. :cheers:

Ghoste

Finding that out now.  Black is the bitchin'-est badass color of all time, when it's clean.  Thing is, it's almost never clean. :brickwall:

crj1968

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 27, 2014, 07:36:02 PM
I think it comes down to what are you going to do with the car

Keep it forever and be burried in it

OR

Sell it in a couple of years and find something else interesting

You say the car has been repainted to the original colour so it does not have the original paint still on the car

If you are only going to keep it a short time and move on I think I would leave the colour factory
If you are going to enjoy it for many years paint it the colour you like and let the next guy paint it back if they want

I agree. If this is always going to be YOUR car, then you should do what makes you enjoy it most.  Apocalypse coming soon and all.... 

Personally, I don't think a nice car missing it's original color is going to hurt it's value at all. But the cost of changing the color will likely put you in the red. (not black)   ;)   :Twocents:

indreams84

Quote from: JB400 on June 27, 2014, 05:31:33 PM
Since this is a car that is perfect for either a collector or a upper end enthusiast (according to your description), I think you have 2 options: settle with what you have, or sell it and get a car that more suits your wants.

I'd at least look around for a few months and see if you could find one in your choice of color that still meets your other requirements before I'd undo someone else's hard work.  Give yourself a deadline to find another car.  If, in that time you don't find another car that meets your requirements and you don't fall in love with its current color, then go ahead and paint yours.  It's nothing that couldn't be put back if the next owner wanted it that color.

Just give yourself plenty of time to make that choice.

For those curious, this is my Charger in question....in Q5 or Black it would be a knock out
1969 Dodge Charger R/T #s Matching

Baldwinvette77

That dont look so bad  :yesnod: , mean yeah would look better in blue or black, but atleast it aint hot pink  :shruggy:

indreams84

Someone asked why I got into this hobby.....well it was more of a childhood dream to own a 69' R/T...to have the "real-deal" or a matching #s car that was extremely well-cared for and restored to a high #2, within my budget. This car met all those criteria. I am 29 years old, I could not wait until I was 40 to see if I could afford a "true" black/red/blue R/T that was matching #s as who knows what they will be worth by then.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: indreams84 on June 27, 2014, 08:46:00 PM
Someone asked why I got into this hobby.....well it was more of a childhood dream to own a 69' R/T...to have the "real-deal" or a matching #s car that was extremely well-cared for and restored to a high #2, within my budget. This car met all those criteria. I am 29 years old, I could not wait until I was 40 to see if I could afford a "true" black/red/blue R/T that was matching #s as who knows what they will be worth by then.

Cool, theres another 29 Y/o here with a 68 project, and im 20 with a charger that makes Cash's psycho-billy caddy look like a production model  :cheers:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: indreams84 on June 27, 2014, 12:44:49 PM
So I have a problem. I bought my dream 69 Charger R/T It is everything I wanted, except the color. My problem is I find TX9 black to be what I have always truly wanted. What do I do?

Isn't it obvious?...

Aero426

Nice lookin' car.     You know, there were some famous Chargers painted that color.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Ghoste on June 27, 2014, 07:43:16 PM
Finding that out now.  Black is the bitchin'-est badass color of all time, when it's clean.  Thing is, it's almost never clean. :brickwall:

Yep!  My 68 looks great, but it's a pain in the ass.... :
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

bill440rt

Quote from: indreams84 on June 27, 2014, 08:39:45 PM

For those curious, this is my Charger in question....in Q5 or Black it would be a knock out

It's already a knock-out.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

archie360

Looks great as is.  I would save my money and enjoy it or sell for a black one.  This is coming for a guy who is returning a 71 SE gunmetal metallic car back to original after three complete repaints (blue, yellow, green).  Striping all that paint is a pain in the arse!  :icon_smile_angry:
1971 SE 383HP     1972 Rallye 340

jaak

My opinion is painting it black won't hurt the value. Look at want ads for a 69 Charger R/T. Count how many want a black car....then count how many want Y3. I personally dig Y3.

Not many here buy a car for investment/profit. If it makes you happier to repaint it, repaint it.

Jason

familymopar

I am glad you posted the photo.  It is a gorgeous car now.  But to each his own.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

indreams84

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 27, 2014, 09:39:20 PM
So I have a problem. I bought my dream 69 Charger R/T It is everything I wanted, except the color. My problem is I find TX9 black to be what I have always truly wanted. What do I do?

Isn't it obvious?...

That sir, is why I am torn... I am not lost on the fact the current Y3 cream paint is easily a 9/10...professional job. It is cool to have the Charger as it came from the factory. According to the buildsheet/previous owner, this California Charger was built as a possible fleet vehicle. That would explain the 3 on the tree, A/C, and possibly the Y3 cream haha.

Troy

Quote from: indreams84 on June 27, 2014, 04:07:48 PM
This would not have been an issue if there were more original color R/Ts out there....but there are not. And not in this condition. This is all conjecture at this point, as I could not afford a $10k paint job currently. But still I can hardly see why anyone would question a more high-impact color on an original "vanilla" color R/T, esp if it is not the original paint job itself.
To be completely honest, I doubt you will get a "high #2" black (or any color for that matter) paint job for $10k. The car will need to be completely disassembled/reassembled to do it correctly and, if you're paying someone, that's anywhere from a few weeks to a couple hundred hours depending on how meticulous they are about labeling parts. Depending on your local labor rate, that just ate up your budget and you haven't purchased materials or sprayed anything yet.

I just don't see the point in bragging about originality after deviating from stock in such an obvious way. I do agree that the color change probably won't hurt the selling value of the car too much but I doubt you'll be able to sell it for more than what you just paid so the entire color change process will likely be a net loss. In that vein, would you have bought it with a color change based on your previous criteria? You could very well run off buyers who want original and be overpriced for people who want modified. If you never sell those points are invalid.

What do I know, I couldn't make up my mind about color/options and ended up with 5 Chargers... ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

1972DodgeChargerSE

Quote from: indreams84 on June 28, 2014, 11:50:23 AM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 27, 2014, 09:39:20 PM

Isn't it obvious?...

That sir, is why I am torn... I am not lost on the fact the current Y3 cream paint is easily a 9/10...professional job. It is cool to have the Charger as it came from the factory. According to the buildsheet/previous owner, this California Charger was built as a possible fleet vehicle. That would explain the 3 on the tree, A/C, and possibly the Y3 cream haha.
I personally don't see how anyone can justify repainting a car with a 9/10 paint job to me that seems like such a waste. It sounds like you plan to keep the charger for a long time I would wait and when it comes time that it needs new paint consider it then. By the way your car is very nice. :2thumbs:

myk

Sell it and buy a car that is already black or one that needs a new paint job anyway.  But like Troy said, a paint job will cost you, especially if you want it done in black, and done right...

indreams84

I waited 20 years for a real R/T restored correctly.....she ain't going anywhere for a long, long time. And in the grand scheme of things, what I paid for it is absolutely a bargain considering what some online (and on here) seem to go for. But I gave the previous owner my word I would treat this car as an ongoing legacy. He himself did not appear disappointed if the color were to be changed. Then again I do respect a purist's view on keeping it "banana pudding". Hey, at least it will NEVER become a DOH clone!

TUFCAT

What I'm about to say might sound harsh.

Keep in mind that I've seen this car many, many times at Carlisle before "indreams84" purchased it, and I can say without a doubt its a beautifully restored Charger.  I've always respected the owner for keeping the original color because its different.....BUT....its the worst of the 18 original colors. Period. :eek2:

That's a shame because its such an honest, well detailed, professionally restored vehicle.  
Here's my answer to your question: Paint it.  Paint the hell out of it!  :paintingpink:  I believe this color hurts the value far beyond what a "color change" would.

Repainting this car would increase its desireability (and probably your enjoyment since you don't like it) ten fold!!!  Yes folks, even on a numbers matching car.

There, I said it.  :sorry:

You also may want to rethink black.  Not everybody wants/likes black muscle cars for the high maintenance involved....and your going to pay big, big, bucks for a perfect black paint job.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

Dreamcar

Keep it or sell it. The the amount of $$$ you'll get will buy you another. Its summer, they are out and about, so you'll find one. A documented RT that is already restored to that quality...I wouldn't touch it with a paint gun.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

ACUDANUT

Quote from: TUFCAT on June 28, 2014, 03:20:33 PM
What I'm about to say might sound harsh.

Keep in mind that I've seen this car many, many times at Carlisle before "indreams84" purchased it, and I can say without a doubt its a beautifully restored Charger.  I've always respected the owner for keeping the original color because its different.....BUT....Its the worst of the 18 original colors. Period. :eek2:

That's a shame because its such an honest, well detailed, professionally restored vehicle.  
Here's my answer to your question: Paint it.  Paint the hell out of it!  :paintingpink:  I believe this color hurts the value far beyond what a "color change" would.

Repainting this car would increase its desireability (and probably your enjoyment since you don't like it) ten fold!!!  Yes folks, even on a numbers matching car.

There, I said it.  :sorry:

You also may want to rethink black.  Not everybody wants/likes black muscle cars for the high maintenance involved....and your going to pay bigger big-bucks for a perfect black paint job.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

Diaareia  green and turd brown are the worst colors ever made.

triple_green

I agree with Troy.

I love the car and love the color.

You did very well either way!
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)