News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fineline products

Started by hemi68charger, June 23, 2014, 09:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang.
Well, this is a first. It has been years since I bought complete brake line kits ( in OEM metal, not stainless ) for a vehicle of mine. I just finished up installing all new lines, hoses, rebuilt calipers and master cylinder and I had numerous leaks. This isn't my first rodeo with this sort of stuff, done numerous cars. But, man.. A lot of the fittings had to be REALLY tightened before they would stop leaking. I gravity bleed the lines and just finished pump bleeding them with my sons help. Man, I probably need to tighten a couple up some more ( hopefully not ) tomorrow and then rebleed. Has anyone had these problems with FineLine products before and if so, increasing tightening solve it? I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what sort of response I get. Luckily, the ones that shows signs are accessible and not up in the middle between the frame rail and engine.

Cheers,
T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bill440rt

Are they stainless lines?
If so, yes they need to be tightened tighter than steel lines often to get them to seat. Stainless is harder than regular steel so sometimes you need to go a little tighter. I've had to go over them several times before to get them to finally seat.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemi68charger

Nope, not stainless. At least, I ordered OEM steel. Now, if they put stainless in my box I wouldn't know the unless the two versions were side by side.
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

will

Try a magnet, stainless isn't magnetic.

hemi68charger

Quote from: will on June 24, 2014, 09:26:49 AM

ah... good idea Obi-won.....  :2thumbs:
Troy

John L

Quote from: will on June 24, 2014, 09:26:49 AM
Some stainless in not magnetic some types of stainless are, so a magnet is not a guarantee.

I ordered a full set of brake lines and prop valves from Inline tube. Made the 3 hour round trip so that the long line going to the diff would not be folded like they do when shipping it.Not sure if they could have possibly F,ed up the order any more than they did I will never deal with that company again. I called Fine Lines and ordered the whole set from them and asked them to make the front flex lines 3" longer (70 Charger with front discs). Everything fit great and only a few leaky fittings that I simply broke loose and then retightened. Oh and these were stainless lines.

John

hemi68charger

I was contacted by FineLines last night. The suggested Permetix 14 with Teflon. They do this on all their installations at their shop. I wish I would have known this. I will loosen and apply a drop or two then retighten like you did John. It is only a couple now, not the 5 I had before.
Troy