News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Demon Carbs?

Started by Charger Aficionado, March 15, 2006, 09:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

I should've came here first, but I picked-up a Demon 850, and was wondering what you guys thought of them?

Silver R/T

what is your engine setup? Ive got speed demon 850 too, with manual secondaries
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

I would say they are generally regarded in a good light.  They are Barry Grant's line of carbs that he had to change the appearance of because they were basically a Holley with more of the features built in that racers wanted.  Holley began to offer many of these things after BG came along.
They're a great carb.  Tuneable like a Holley.

Chryco Psycho

good carbs , which series did you get , there are 4 different versions at least ?

dkn1997

If you got the right demon for your application, then you will be happy with it.
RECHRGED

terrible one

My uncle ran a demon 850 or 950 on his GTO, and said it was the best carb he had ever had on there.

Dennis

Running an 850 DEMON on my warmed up 440.  Went to a 1/2" fuel line to feed the thirst.  Is awesome now. 

General_01

Running an 850 Speed Demon on my 440. I like it.

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

greenrt_se

whitch size jets you using in demon carb,I have a air/fuel ratio meter in my car,and I have to chance primary from 76 to 71  and secondary from 83 to 76 size,in 440 e-head,rpm intake,demon 750 mechanical,msd ignition,223/228 0,050 cam.hp exhaust manifold.

deputycrawford

Green R/T SE, I might have a problem with mine then. I am running a 750 Mighty Demon on mine. I just upped my jets to 83 primary and 91 secondary on my 383. my cam is .545 lift on both and duration is 241 int/ 247 ext @50. My timing is 20 degrees at idle and 38 mechanical maximum. Huh, I keep jetting up and it seems to like it. Im up 7 sizes from when Demon sent it to me. Should I be looking for another problem? Runs awsome all the time. Never a problem.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

greenrt_se

I don`t know du you or I have a problem  :P  but also my frend (he have a 850cfm mechanical demon) in gm 454,and also he have to come down in jets size 5 or 6 size.but I try to find some time in next month to take my car in wheel dyno,so then I can get data from fuel curve

deputycrawford

I do have a wheel dyno down the street. I guess I'll have to spend the money and run the car. New drag radials first. My 60fts are down over a tenth. Very worn out. Then dyno, Then track ;D
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Sledge57

"POS Pedal Car" has an 850 Mighty Demon.
Went 11.93 outta the box. Still haven't taken a screw driver to it....

Doug
POS Pedal Car
Best to Date: 11.93 @ 113.41

POS Pedal Car Vid

deputycrawford

Update on mine. I found my MSD distributor had the wrong size advance bushing in it. I got a new very nice timing light and found I had over 41 degrees total. I put the 18 degree bushing in and it stopped spark knocking. i have jetted back down 5 to 6 sizes and it responds a little better. I will take it to the track soon and see how it does again.

Duey

Quote from: deputycrawford on May 22, 2006, 10:46:20 PM
Update on mine. I found my MSD distributor had the wrong size advance bushing in it. I got a new very nice timing light and found I had over 41 degrees total. I put the 18 degree bushing in and it stopped spark knocking. i have jetted back down 5 to 6 sizes and it responds a little better. I will take it to the track soon and see how it does again.

DC, good to see you found the problem with the MSD box.  How close are you to what BG sent the Demon with from the factory?

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

deputycrawford

Hey Duey, I found the problem was with the distributor itself. I just changed the advance bushing and it cleared up the problem. My Mighty Demon is only 2 sizes larger than the factory settings. Im not sure that I can't take it back to factory specs and start again. I have to repair a crank problem and try again. Barry Grant sems to be right on when they send it to you.

Duey

Roger that, DC.  I mistakenly thought the box was the issue.  I can certainly see how having that much play on the dist shaft would mess up timing.  I figure if you settle out at 36-38* max mechanical from around a 15* initial you should be good to go!  The Mighty Demon is a nice carb, for sure.  At the time, I had some Summit bucks in reserve and Demons weren't available, thus the Pro-Form, Quik-Fuel or Holley HP options.  Hope it hits its tune for you!

Cheers,
Duey

deputycrawford

huh, huh, huh, huh, he said roger..... Anyway Duey, my car likes 18 to 20 degrees timing at idle so I put the 18 degree bushing so I could settle at 36-38 total. So you are correct. I have also just been told by ANOTHER person that my 120GPH mechanical pump is not enough. I have 6 PSI at idle and 3-4 going through the traps. I might be going for a Holley Black pump if I ever get the new crank for the 383 I ruined the thrust on. I can't wait to thrash on the car again soon.

Duey

Hmmm...I might have the same issue if my motor will put out a strong/high-400-ish HP.  ???  I see the Holley black pump is good for 140gpm at 14 psi, not bad...I thought the Carter 120gph should maintain 6-7 psi right up to rated flow?  That's the pump I have.  DC, are you running 3/8 or 1/2 from tank to the pump?  Maybe the pump isn't getting good feed at higher flow...3-4 does sound low and revving up high is not where you want to lean out! :-\

Cheers
Duey

deputycrawford

Duey, I have the 1/2 inch tank pick up and a 1/2 inch line from the tank to the pump. I thought I had plenty of flow. I guess the mechanical pumps don't like to rev or something. oh, I also have an adjustable regulator because my Carter pump was around 8-9 psi without it. It idled too rich when I turned the pump up and seemed a tad bit more lazy through the RPM range. Lean is mean to a certain extent. I just have to find the medium. I figure I would do the Holley Black pump with the regulator and would never have to touch it again. Most of an engine is a package deal that must match everything else. The fuel delivery is something you can over do, as long as you regulate it, and not worry. ;D

dodge freak

True , as long as the pressure is ok you can have all the flow you want, and its ready if you need it one day. Those pumps can make alot of noise and draw some amps and are not cheap so its not for everybody.

deputycrawford

Oh, I know that Dodge Freak. I'm a power freak so I'm ready for the noise. If the pump knocks off a 1/2 a second because my car stops falling flat on its face at half track then I consider it worth it. :yesnod:  Heeeeeee Haaaaww. We got e'm now Flash!!!!