News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New reproduction radio?????

Started by photon, June 10, 2014, 09:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

photon

Looking to purchase a new reproduction radio from classic industries.  I have a 69 charger and the 69 radios are out of stock.  The 68's are in stock.  They look the same in the photo.  What is the difference?  Would it work in my 69?

Ghoste

I think the biggest difference is that the 69 says Chrysler Solid State on the face and the 68 says Dodge Solid State.  It would work but there have been some questionable reviews about the quality of the resto ones, you might want to look in to that too.

Skull-1

Don't they rebuild the ones we have with modern internals and a CD player in the glovebox, etc.?   I thought there were a few companies doing this...
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)

Ghoste

There are companies doing that as well.

photon

Do the radios they make that fit into your glove box plug directly into the factory harness?  I don't want to cut into my new harness.

PlainfieldCharger

The radio will hook right up to your stock wiring(Power only) You can install the correct connector housing on the radio wires. It also has a speaker switch on the back so you can choose you speaker configuration. but.....

I would have to tell you I was VERY disappointed with the Antique Automobile radio I purchased direct from them. I had it in and out 3 times for repairs. If you really plan on driving your car for any length of time with the radio on(horrible reception) and even with an IPod hooked up if you have a part in a song that has very low Audio sounds it will shut down the IPOD and turn on the radio. Here are the things that stopped working.

Radio installed after received for Christmas present.   AM does not work at all.   Their response...your not close enough to a good signal...I live 30 miles from WGN and WBBM that reach over 125 miles. They repaired it...worked for 2 months.

At my local cruise night(first one) the radio was on when I started my car and the dial pointer stopped working. Take it out again, send it in, 3 weeks later put it back in...pointer worked again but radio was not the same...

The last time I removed it was because after this repair,  the IPOD would constantly stop playing though the system and kick on the radio.. on and off on and off...Crazy... I called the manufacture and told them I am sending back again but I do not want it anymore as I feel the look of the radio is AWESOME but the internals technology was lacking...I had to fight with them for 2 days as they wanted to charge me a 25% restocking fee(600.00 radio). Well after going back and forth they decided to give me a full refund.

I have installed the stock radio(not hooked up)...so hopefully I have taken apart the dash apart  for the last time for a while..(car has A/C)
Installed a Secret Audio System with a very large Amp under the passenger seat...head unit in the glove box...and have not had a problem since. Radio has been on for long periods of time and no cutouts switching back and forth and just plain old jamming....

If you just drive your car a few miles here and there,  the AAR would be fine...it looks great but plays sometimes..radio reception is terrible. I am in Chicago metro with tons of strong stations. I think it picked up 5 that were very local...

I do believe this is the product you would get from Classic Ind.. also..I did do some home work after I returned the AAR product and there are others that do retro-fit the originals ones and they did mention that they do not use the same internals as the AAR radio which is 100% new. So I hope this helps....

photon

Thanks Plainfield charger.  That info helps greatly.  I will most likely put the aftermarket radio in the glovebox.  I have a broken stock radio that I can put in for the stock look.  I may cut the back half of the radio so I can slide it in without taking my dash apart to much.  It is a son of bleep to get that thing in through the glove box opening.