News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

...my 1st 1970 Superbird the "Geriatric Bird"

Started by 69 DAYTONA, June 09, 2014, 10:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 DAYTONA

...one evening in 1986-87 I got a late phone call, a friend had spotted a one owner Superbird for sale at a dealership in Ohio...I got the details and the next morning I called the owner of Dukes Auto Sales in North Baltimore Ohio, took the day off work, jumped in my car and I was on my way

...what I found was an amazingly original 10K mile Superbird sitting in the service bay...since the car couldn't be divided among the grandchildren, the 93 year old owner decided it was to be sold and the money divided among the kids...this car still had the cardboard bank supplied floormats protecting the carpets, every piece of paperwork ever made was in the glove box etc etc...amazing car

...I bought the car on the spot after looking it over for at least 60 seconds, LOL...I had never seen anything like it before...the owner had purchased the car new for his 66 year old wife who had a bad back and thought the 'Bird had the most comfortable seats among the cars on the dealerships lot

...my first look at the Superbird

69 DAYTONA

...pulled it outside for a pix...I wasn't exactly a gifted photographer in those days LOL

69 DAYTONA

...the original 93 year old owner was there to see the car off to it's new owner, he looked sad when it was loaded up on the trailer

69 DAYTONA

...I kept the car for the summer, put 3K miles on the big blue 'Bird, it drove like a new car...the next owner did a complete resto and it soon became known as the "Geriatric 'Bird"

69 DAYTONA

...a few years ago I found the "Geriatric Bird" at the Auburn Auction...it had been thru several owners, but still had just a few miles more on the odometer than when I sold the car 20 years earlier

...1970 Superbird
...440, 4BBL, AT (column/bench)
...approx 14K miles today
...restored approx 1989

hemi68charger

Dang Larry,, you have had a nice history of pedigree cars.....  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection