News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Because I'm just that stupid

Started by billschroeder5842, May 30, 2014, 09:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

Yes, my wife is correct; I'm just that stupid.

I'm keeping my 75 roadrunner stock. Not that stock makes it worth more because it is not worth much to begin with. I'm keeping it stock because I could spend a gazillion on headers, intakes, heads, pistons...blah, blah blah and it would still be a slow, off beat 75 road runner. Pigs with lipstick are still...pigs.

"Stock" means I'm a rebel in a "boogie nights" way as I embrace the inner "first gen emissions" urge in us all. I loved the simplicity and power of my former, old 69 Charger but evaporation canisters, OSAC sensors and TIC valves feel better (greener?) than a 383HP with a push you in your seat capability. I feel "Prius, Tony Manero style"

So, as I put my emissions system back together, I have a few things I simply am lost on....

Did all '75 400 4bbl engines come with an EGR valve? I have some hoses that are for the ERG, but no plate on the intake manifold to accept a valve. Plus, there seems no room for this valve.
The shop manual shows that a "temperature operated by-pass valve" has three hoses, but mine has two. One goes to a vacuum amplifier and one is capped. looks like it is a ERG fitting.
The TIC valve on the radiator is missing and it shows as "optional" in the manuals, but again, I have vacuum hoses that are present.

My Carter TQ has four vacuum ports on the front but the shop manual calls for 5. Hmmmm ..... wrong carb or factory anomaly?  

These questions do prove my attention to nonsense.

Texas Proud!

Baldwinvette77

Its ok man, I know a good doctor, Ill take you too him, and within weeks, We'll Have a Wicked fire breathing 440 in that thing, Hell, it'll be running open headers  :cheers:
I've felt that sickness before, i know how it feels, But theres help out there. WE here at DC.com can help you  :pity:

Although in all seriousness Goodluck with that, in my hunt for a charger, i had a chance to buy a 75 runner, i loved its uniqueness, i think it was a 400 or something? idunno, cant remember if it had egr though, sorry

billschroeder5842

The beast runs great, so I'm tempted to leave it alone. I'll mess witht he emissions stuff as it is new and different from my 69. The car has "ok" accereation from 0-60 but does real well 70-100. This model is definitely a road trip car.

Oh, I get a smooth 12 mpg and about 100 bucks for a fill up on a 24 gal tank.

Disco lives.
Texas Proud!

Cooter

Sad part is, even when operating correctly, that emissions system is junk. What was that about a pig is a pig?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

billschroeder5842

Well, I just discovered an unintended consequence of my emissions "Refresh"... harder starting.

I found that my vapor canister was pretty clogged up and no air/vapor was moving in or around. In fact, the hose from the carburetor float bowl collected raw gas in the base of the hose as it did not flow into the charcoal canister.

Now that I refreshed the system, cleaned it and put in new filters, it seems the system operates TOO well. Apparently after I turn the engine off, the float "cooks off" lots of the gas from the carb sending it to the canister for recycling. And, with the new free flow, the lack of back pressure seems to empty the carb making it hard to start. It requiring lots of cranking until the bowls fill up again.

I'm experimenting with "pumping" the gas pedal prior to start. Currently it seems that 3 pumps, then holding it half down, allows it to catch pretty quick. Hot or cold, 3 pumps and a push.

Yes, TMI..... but you did read to this point.
Texas Proud!

Cooter

Quote from: Cooter on May 31, 2014, 09:08:30 AM
Sad part is, even when operating correctly, that emissions system is junk. What was that about a pig is a pig?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

b5blue

Are you using a fuel with ethanol mix? Is the heat blocked off to the intake? Accelerator pump working good?  :scratchchin:

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on June 01, 2014, 02:22:01 PM
Well, I just discovered an unintended consequence of my emissions "Refresh"... harder starting.

I found that my vapor canister was pretty clogged up and no air/vapor was moving in or around. In fact, the hose from the carburetor float bowl collected raw gas in the base of the hose as it did not flow into the charcoal canister.

Now that I refreshed the system, cleaned it and put in new filters, it seems the system operates TOO well. Apparently after I turn the engine off, the float "cooks off" lots of the gas from the carb sending it to the canister for recycling. And, with the new free flow, the lack of back pressure seems to empty the carb making it hard to start. It requiring lots of cranking until the bowls fill up again.

I'm experimenting with "pumping" the gas pedal prior to start. Currently it seems that 3 pumps, then holding it half down, allows it to catch pretty quick. Hot or cold, 3 pumps and a push.

Yes, TMI..... but you did read to this point.

Had a similar issue when I took all the emissions crap off my Jeep.   A check valve to keep the fuel from draining back to the tank might work for you.   Took me 20 freaking seconds to start before I added one.  Had to keep it on a battery tender.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70