News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

We're looking for a wireless camera security system. Need opinions, help please

Started by 472 R/T SE, May 12, 2014, 12:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

Here's a few I'm looking at.  Junk?  Easy to set up?  Good quality picture?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360395886066?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D360395886066%26_rdc%3D1&tfrom=181300831373&tpos=unknow&ttype=price&talgo=origal

I really like this one.  Problem is it's not wireless.  I'm gonna have to pay someone or be super extra nice to a few buddys so I don't want it to be too labor intensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELEC-4-CH-Channel-CCTV-960H-HDMI-DVR-600tvl-Outdoor-Home-Security-Camera-System-/121332137496?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Again, I like this one but it's not wireless.  It's 700 TV lines so the picture quality should be high.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181300831373&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I'm asking about wireless but yet I post all non wireless cameras.  I'm hoping someone here has installed a system like this and can throw out some pointers.   :scratchchin:

Will the wireless one's have issues when the weather's bad like the satellite dishes used to be?

thanks in advance

RECHRGD

The term "wireless" is somewhat misleading.  I have been looking at them as well.  You still have to have power to the cameras.
13.53 @ 105.32

472 R/T SE

Yeah some of them still have the wire coming out the back of the camera but it's got a connection for a 9 volt battery.

What I'd really like to do is hard wire the couple of cameras' that are up super high in the air so there's never an issue of trying to find someone to replace the battery for us.

A383Wing

I tried a wireless system off ebay...came from my area....got only 2 of the cameras installed and found out it interfered with my laptop signals to my wireless connection...turned off the cameras and then my laptops would communicate with my modem again...at least they gave me my money back

twodko

Look at what Amazon.com has. I'm looking for a system there myself but only need 2 cameras. Seems all the
affordable high quality wireless systems have 4 cameras.
Many systems have a central battery backup that powers all the cameras. Some
offer a solar panel trickle charger as a option.
The higher frequency a wireless system operates on the less chance of outside interference......gigahertz carrier freq.
Buy color cameras with IR illumination and a system that has its own DVR. If you're a smartphone user
many systems can be accessed with your phone. A good system can be had for $3-400.00.
This is most definitely a get what you pay for proposition.
Finally, a hard wired system is going to be the most fail safe.

BTW 700 lines is very poor resolution.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

JamieZ

I have a Swann 4 camera system, wired.  I'm very happy with it...but I should have bought an 8 camera one...or at least an 8 camera unit so I could expand it.  I have an unfinished attic so running the wires wasn't bad....although I had to buy some longer cables for one of the runs.

It has nice features like a cell phone app, email alerts on motion detection, etc.

twodko

Sounds like a very good setup. I'm really leaning towards a hardwired/gel cell backup DVR system with
user controlled smartphone aimable 12 gauge proximity enhancement.  :D

The servo managed pan and tilt gun platforms are pricy though. It's the weight/balance paradigm. :shruggy:

A383Wing

don't get the guns....those are too heavy...use the lasers....also more quiet at night

twodko

472 R/T SE

Not surprising, but that went over my head.

The 700 lines is actually one of the better resolutions.

I know you get what you pay for but this one is half off.  Before anyone badmouths it take a look at the description area.  You have to sift through other camera system specials but the description is there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121236854663&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Troy

We have used "POE" (Power Over Ethernet) cameras in the past. Yes, you've got a wire but it handles communication and power all at once. That way you only have to run one cable. We were in a situation where we had to wait on union electricians to run power but not ethernet so it saved us weeks. I prefer the ethernet (usually called "IP") cameras any way because they seem easier to configure and you have a bit more control. I don't have any specific recommendations though. I need to start researching for my own setup.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

472 R/T SE

Thanks everyone.

Troy, I wondered what IP meant?  When you email the seller, 9 times out of 10 they type broken English & don't even answer the question.  There were a couple auctions by the same seller & I asked them different questions for both auctions & I got the same standard answer.

Yeah, I change my mind alot which is better than jumping in with both feet like I normally do & regretting a purchase later.
But this is my new favorite.  The feature I wanted more than anything was to be able to check the camera/s from anywhere.  That's what these IP cameras are all about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IR-Cut-Pan-Tilt-Wireless-Wifi-Outdoor-Waterproof-Dome-Security-Network-IP-Camera/181363865723?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D333002%26algo%3DRIC.CAT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131227121020%26meid%3D6880842633684098422%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3D20131227121020%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D261409536603

I'm gonna wait a bit before buying.  None of the single IP cameras' are on sale right now so I'm not under the gun like I was with a few of those others'.

Seeings how these pan & swivel I can get by with just one for now since I can mount in an area that was gonna require 2.