News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tire pressure

Started by twodko, May 09, 2014, 03:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

How much? I roll on 245 60 15 F & 275 60 15 R, weekend drives, cruises et. No track.

Currently have 38 psi.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Ghoste

That works.  There is likely a recommended pressure on the sidewall but that is probably about right.

Sublime/Sixpack

I run 32 lbs. (Cold) in my cars. The tires wear nice and even at that pressure. :Twocents:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

terrible one

I run 33 psi in my BFG Radial T/A's, just a good easy number for me and in my case the max press written on the sidewall is 35 psi

68X426

Just drop them to 15 psi when your four wheelin' it.  :D

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

A383Wing

runnin 35 in mine here

twodko

My buddy Dan. He's not called "His Eminence" for nothing!  :lol:

My tires are a Firestone Indy 500's. The side wall max pressure is 44psi.  :shruggy:

Dino

32 cold on those tires Tom, can't go wrong.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ottawamerc

Do you not go by the door sticker? I thought you did the tire pressure to match the car not the max tire pressure :scratchchin: I have my BFG T/A's at "I think" 32psi.

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Ghoste

Good question.  I thought the door sticker was based on eom tires and that switching to anything else necessitated a change to the tire makers recommendation.  :shruggy:

HPP

Run a chalk line across the tread face, roll the car down the drive way or drive it around the block, adjust pressure up/down to maximize the contact of the line with the ground.

charge69

The manufacturers do not put a recommended tire pressure on their tires!  The pressure on the sidewall is the MAX pressure the tire is capable of handling!

Staying around the CAR's recommended pressure is a good idea but it is usually a little soft for a better ride.

Just make sure the contact patch is covering the tread all the way across the tire with it inflated with barely as much air as you can put in it, also usually around 30psi give or take a few lbs. If You overinflate the tires, you will not get a full contact patch and they will wear in the center before the edges!

My original bias-ply tires were recommended on the sticker to have 26psi. front-and-rear for normal driving! It recommends 28psi all-around for heavy loads.  This is original to my hemicar!

My installed larger radials run about 30psi. front and 26-28psi rear and the Charger and I seem happy with it!

Ghoste

I'm probably guilty of overinflating my tires then.

JB400

I was told to always go with between 32-34 unless your hauling heavy loads (raise to around 38-40) or the roads are slick( lower to around 28)

twodko

I think 32psi is a good start......I also like the chalk thingy.
I'll do that today before it gets a bath in prep for its annual wax
and trim polish.
With my damned back I can only do this over the course of a week.

Paul G

I have been running 32 psi. 255/60-15 front, 275/60-15 rear. I like the chalk mark idea, and will try that.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

twodko

Paul, the chalk thing was a fair indicator of tread width contact. I drew a heavy and wide yellow chalk
line and drove down my driveway. There was enough transfer to verify reasonably full
contact @ 32 psi.

Thanks HELO PAPA PAPA!

HPP

You bet. The chalk method is a quick and easy way to verify tread contact via pressure. Tire temps are a more accurate way to dial in pressures and alignment, but not everyone has an infrared thermometer lying around.