News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Glass installed by pro, is the gasket junk?

Started by timmycharger, May 06, 2014, 06:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

I don't remember being able to see any of the dash bolts when the windshield was in my car last, but that was over 10 years ago since one was in it.  I had safelite come out and do the glass. Great guy and service, I asked him to put sealer on, but he only did the top and sides, and Im thinking now I should have had him do the corners and bottom too. Im calling him back out to do just that, as Im not feeling too good about the fact that I can push the bottom of the glass/gasket and it moves slightly. I know that the trim will hold it in, but its not making me feel good.  Im hoping once he puts a bead of urethane like he did on the top/sides, it will be locked in more, especially if he can get it under the rubber gasket where it meets the channel, hopefully its not too late. the stuff he put looks like part of the gasket now, super solid.  Something tells me that the gasket they brought was crap and it should lay flatter on the dash, thus covering the bolts. I can only see one on each corner but not sure I like how it looks. Maybe over time it will settle down, dunno. Im more curious than anything

tan top

there are three small metal tabs in the windshield channel  , & a slot in the gasket that these tabs fit into , that's the best I can explain  !!   to  hold the gasket   in correct location  &  stop it sliding down or back when the glass is being fitted ,  by the looks of it , whats happened to yours  :scratchchin:

see picture  &  green arrows below , 3 metal tabs
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

timmycharger

yikes, I certainly didn't have anything that looked like that. I think the prior owner smoothed everything over except for the tirm clip holes. Was just messing with it now and if I push lightly it will move down closer and I think if I use a temporary spacer between the clip and gasket it will hold it in place until the bead of urethane dries? I should have done more homework!

Charger-Bodie

That is a common problem with the repop gasket. It will need to be pulled back out,then the seal will need to be urethaned down tightly in the corners and the reinstalled. It sucks ,but unfortunatly one of those deals...
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Lord Warlock

Nope, you shouldn't see the dash bolts, the new gasket should cover those.  Safelight came out and did mine a few months back, did a great job, but he called the day of the job and said their gasket wasn't the right one, luckily I had already bought my own and had one waiting to be used, turned out to work out great. 

Those tabs...they were the only reason why I took the glass out to begin with, I thought it was a rust hole when i was poking around the original glass, found out later they were supposed to be there. 

Only problem I had with mine was the corners of the lower trim that fit over the little metal tab finger on the ends, it doesn't sit as flush as it used to, it sits straight now, where mine used to conform more to the curve originally, I ended up running a bead of sealer up under the trim to hide it, it kind of blends into the v21 treatment now.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

timmycharger

:flame: Oh man, so even if he pulls it out, Ill still have the same issue wtih the bolts not being covered by the gasket? I was thinking he could squirt it between the rubber/cowl channel area and make a nice bead all the way from bottom corner to bottom corner. Hopefully the only water this car will see is when I wash it, its garaged year round. Im not looking forward to spending an additional 80 bucks or so for a new gasket after what I just spent to have them come out. Ugh.. this sucks.  Thanks for the info guys

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: timmycharger on May 07, 2014, 08:30:40 AM
:flame: Oh man, so even if he pulls it out, Ill still have the same issue wtih the bolts not being covered by the gasket? I was thinking he could squirt it between the rubber/cowl channel area and make a nice bead all the way from bottom corner to bottom corner. Hopefully the only water this car will see is when I wash it, its garaged year round. Im not looking forward to spending an additional 80 bucks or so for a new gasket after what I just spent to have them come out. Ugh.. this sucks.  Thanks for the info guys

What I responded to you a couple posts up actually works. Ive done this to like a dozen b body cars.....
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............