News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

45 yo torsion bars

Started by twodko, May 05, 2014, 07:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

Is it possible 45yo torsion can be too weak to adjust?

I had mine cranked up today hoping for a little more front end height.
The passenger side gained 1"+ but zip on the drivers side.
After the bars were cranked up I drove the car to "settle" the front end
and returned to the shop.
What we found was that the camber was kicked way out......normal
after adjusting the torsion bars right?, but no noticeable increase in height.
Clearly the car needed alignment so I had that done. The tech adjusted
everything back to specs but still no noticeable increase in front end height.
It sounds impossible to me so what's happening here?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Sublime/Sixpack

That seems odd.    Is your crossmember solid where the rear of the bars mount?  Maybe it's time for a new set of bars?  :shruggy:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

twodko

Something's twilight zone up in here. Going back to the shop mañana with my FSM to connect the dots accordingly........like we didn't do that already today.

Unless the front of my car jumps up like a lowrider during the dark of night it may turnout out I've got
Blair Witch bars.  :shruggy:

I have a Summit Racing MOPAR performance part number locked and loaded...........

Spooky's in the house.

Back N Black

Maybe the adjustment bolts are stripped?

twodko

Mechanic was seeing normal bolt/thread function.......i asked about that.

Probably time for new bars. No worries just more money.  :-\

HPP

I agree with sublime and do a very critical inspection of the rear anchors. If these are cracking, no amount of adjustment you crank into the bars will stick.

Also, despite being identical threads, the same adjustment on one side does not always equal the same adjustment on the other side. It may require 2x more turn to get things to pre-loaded and turn up. This is due to manufacturing and assembly tolerances that create a difference from side to side.

Now if you crank them up and they slowly sink, then you t-bars are likely shot. Althought at 45 years, they are springs and they are old, so I'd replacement just as a matter of updates anyway.

twodko

Copy all......

Taking the Q5 back tomorrow for a double look see.

nascarxx29

:Twocents:If someone rebuilt front end and didnt return torsion bars back in correctly.You will bottom out bolt before car will rise correctly
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

green69rt

It's easy to make a quick check of the adjusters.  Just get under the car and look at them while you turn the bolt heads.  You should be able to see the TB "blades" move, or put you finger on the blade so you can feel it move (be careful of pinch points!!)  If no movement then the bolts or the threaded blocks are stripped or cracked.  If they move then some other problem.  Be sure to count the number of turns on the bolt so you can put it back when the test is done.

green69rt

I looked at my old adjuster bolts and they where rusted/stripped only on the part that was inside the adjuster block so they looked fine from a casual inspection but you couldn't get them to adjust squat.

twodko

Is it common, possible or recommended to replace the adjuster blocks
at the same time as the TB's? Seems like a no-brainer.

green69rt

Quote from: twodko on May 07, 2014, 07:10:14 PM
Is it common, possible or recommended to replace the adjuster blocks
at the same time as the TB's? Seems like a no-brainer.

I would, cheap insurance: and makes for an easier life later.  No hassling with the old rusted parts.  Firm Feel has them.

twodko

Done deal, thanks.

I'm getting sick of top ramen and Mac & Cheese.

MOPARS.......it's an addiction. There is NO 12 step program.

We're f****d. Just sayin'

Paul G

Might want to mic the bars and make sure they are the same. Never know what might have been done over the years.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

twodko

Hey Paul,

If I wasn't positive everything is original that would be a good idea. Thanks though.  :2thumbs: