News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What are chargers going for now? all years

Started by mustanghater, March 13, 2006, 05:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustanghater

Just wondering cause I'm geting ready to buy a car finaly. My rover is up for sale so i can by a car. I got a 20x20 slab of concrete at my parents busisness that I can keep a car on. I'm mainly looking at 1st and 3rd gens.
Is it worth getting a 1st gen?
Would insurence be cheap since the real muscle car ended in '72?
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

RD

know matter how one answers this question, it will be totally different based on the car that you find.

Here is some good advice... find a car, take pics of it, submit a post on here, and we will tell you how much it is most likely worth.

1)  TAKE GOOD PICS OF CAR TO INCLUDE UNDERNEATH THE VEHICLE
2)  GET ALL THE #'S OF THE VEHICLE
3)  MAKE SURE IT HAS A CLEAR TITLE
4)  POST A THREAD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

terrible one

What do you mean "is it worth getting a 1st gen?" Just get what you've want if you have the money.

Shakey

Look for a car that YOU like, as terrible one stated.  Find something affordable and follow the steps in RD's post.  We can help you if you are serious about this.

NHCharger

If your pockets aren't deep 3rd Gens. would get you your best bang for the buck, mainly the 73\74's. The price some of the members here buy them for in the midwest and south makes me very jealous.
As far as insurance it depends on how you insure it. Mine are both insured through Hagerty for an agreed value and the insurance policy states anyone driving them must have a minimum five years of driving experience. If you buy a 318 car and just insure it under your parents policy (if possible), that would be the cheapest route. Just remember if you have an accident the insurance company will look at it as a 30+year old car, not a classic.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

69charger2002

insurance won't apply to the year if you get classic car insurance.. only the amount you specify for value. 66-74 won't cost a dime difference.. i don't even see through allstate etc how it would make a difference. back when i had mine under regular insurance all they wanted to know is if it was a V8.. didn't ask.. 318, hemi etc. buy the car you want and can afford.. don't get too antsy and buy the first car you see, but yet on the same token, if it's a deal. you can't wait too long. they just don't last these days
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Ghoste

1st gens are very cool cars but know this, though they are usually the cheapest to buy, they can be the most expensive to restore.  They are the lowest production numbered Chargers and they use a lot of specialty parts with very little interchange with anything else in the Dodge line.  You will find the fastback fraternity extremely good about helping you out but they are not a car for the casually interested.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

41husk

I have said this before, but get the car you want are you won't want the car you get.  I bought a 3rd Gen because I wanted a charger but I wanted a second gen.  It bothered me for a long time so I sold the 3rd gen and bought a second gen.  Now I want my 3rd gen back as well but don't want to get rid of my 68 :'( :rotz: its a sickness :yesnod:  I would advise you to get the car as finished as you can aford.  Good luck!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

OldGuy

Availability is another issue.  You will probably be able to find more 3rd generation Chargers than 1st generation.  I know of a 1972, 318ci automatic that the guy wants $1,500 for.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

andy74

3rd gens are the best bang for the buck,as stated above-not to mention the best looking!

hemi68charger

Quote from: terrible one on March 13, 2006, 06:26:58 PM
What do you mean "is it worth getting a 1st gen?" Just get what you've want if you have the money.

:iagree:

it's one thing to make a good investment into something in the event that you have to sell one day. But at the end of the day, which year are you going to enjoy driving and gazing upon in your garage....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bull

I know where you can get a '66 for $5k. It's not perfect but it runs and it's nice. And it's black. :icon_smile_evil:

cudacharger

mustanghater

There are two for sale on ebay in ohio right now and they aren't going for tht much cause they are projects. My dad remembers the black car from somewhere.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-Dodge-Charger_W0QQitemZ4621788096QQcategoryZ6199QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

greenpigs

Quote from: OldGuy on March 14, 2006, 10:58:00 AM
Availability is another issue.  You will probably be able to find more 3rd generation Chargers than 1st generation.  I know of a 1972, 318ci automatic that the guy wants $1,500 for.

I would get a third gen for what was stated about parts on the 1st gen Chargers. Buying a as complete car will save you in the long run, just don't settle for a car thinking you will not find another.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Ghoste

Just to spin a little positive on the first gens, they do have a lot of unique features.  The first time you see that dash light up it'll bring a smile to your face.  You can also be assured that at almost any car show you attend, you will have the only one there.  Some see that as a negative but I kind of like it personally.  You'll also find the fastback fanatics are just that... fanatics.  There are a LOT of really cool and helpful folks in the 1st gen cult.

71440bee

$ to work with is a very important factor. You get a whole lot more in a 3rd gen that a 2nd price wise. There are allot of other factors also. The 3rd gens seem to have better electrical systems, ride a bit better and don't seem to rust quite as bad either. A larger % seem to come with disc brakes also. 71's and 2's are allot more car for the $ compared to the 68-70's. At least if you get a 3rd people won't ask you why it isn't orange with a flag on the roof all the time!  :P Sorry couldn't resist!  :icon_smile_big: I love the 71's but get what you like and can afford with the least amount of rust. They are all expensive to restore!!

NHCharger

Quote from: andy74 on March 14, 2006, 11:01:41 AM
3rd gens are the best looking!

:D :D :D
I thought that was a givin'.
Sorry bout the editing Andy.

Uh 71440bee, you've never seen a 3rd gen that has spent all it's life in New England. Some day i'll buy a scanner and show what was left of my 72.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Silver R/T

2nd gens are most expensive, you can find 1st and 3rd gens inexpensively
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

tipopiola

I think its safe to say that IN GENERAL 2nd gens are more expensive, but there are thousands of exceptions to that rule.  If you look in the right places you can still find a 2nd gen fairly inexpensively.  Good luck and buy what you like and what you want.  Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:

Nacho-RT74

I like all 66 untill 74 for many different reason:

1st gen, special and unique features, like the folding rear buckets backs, buckets instead bench on rear, dash ilumination, real fastback desing, complete hidden lightning front end...

2nd gen, legend, best agresive look, powerfull options

3rd gen, best aerodinamic design, more comfortably and best handling ( Richard petty said that ) as far I know. Best looking and sporty interior, lower riding.

Every gen has its own charm. I only mentioned examples.

But I'm agree what ppl as stated... If you go for a 1st gen, try to get it COMPLETE, without ANY KIND OF TRIM, GLASS OR STUFF MISSED OR DAMAGED... IMHO no matter if it does have some rust or buckets cover damaged. Body can be patched and seats recovered, but pieces missed will be a real headache and pocket hurts.

3rd gens are easier to restore. Maybe interior stuff are the more expensive to restore since panels are two pieces on each part and that can get double money to restore but you have options on aftermarket and used area. Will be only a pocket hurt, but not really a BIG headache.

Mechanical stuff is not a big deal on any gen unless you want to get the right year stuff... and including in that way is not a real headache, just some patiente need.

Good look on your search.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

rich4406bbl

Whatever you buy, try and get as complete a car as possible. Preferably in running condition. Parts chasing is fun but it can become quite tedious and expensive.  Especially if you are looking for certain hard to find parts like 1st gen grills and interior parts or 3rd gen bulge or ramcharger hood parts. The quickest way to lose intesest in a car is for it to be all work and play. I'm in NJ and alot of the boneyards up north have closed down or have mainly late model stuff, no classics. Only plus is (3) Englishtown swap meets and 3hr drive to Carlisle for the (3) big meets there so parts chasing is done at those places.

dodgeboy67

i know of a running 68 with a 383 for sale near indianapolis for 1000

Bevs 68

I have been looking for a car for a friend who lives in another state. Since this one was real close to where I live I checked it out. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4620517961&fromMakeTrack=true
My 2 cents... This car will need mostly cosmetics to make it a great daily driver and with a little more it can be restored to it's original state/color. Body is straight and he has most of the stuff he's removed or changed. Sounded nice! If I was in the market, I'd have offered 14K. 
Bev

Proud to be a Mopar Momma!