News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone running 1.12" torsion bars in their 73/74?

Started by Chargerguy74, April 20, 2014, 08:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerguy74

I ordered a pair, along with a 1 1/8" sway bar, Bilstein shocks, and a complete front suspension rebuild kit, but now I'm second guessing the decision and wondering if I should have went with the 1.06". Any experience out there with the 1.12" bars on the street?
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

myk

So you bought 1.12" bars and are thinking that smaller may have been better?  Unfortunately with suspension alterations it's a matter of preference that's based on your intentions for the car.  You'll have to put everything together and then see how it all works out for you, unless someone here has the exact same setup...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1974dodgecharger

get some shocks that match it.....then you be ok.

Dino

Nothing wrong with 1.12.  Go find some fun corners and find out!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Chargerguy74

Yeah, I'll just plug and play. After doing a search and reading all the threads on torsion bars I was convinced I may have went too big. Pretty exited for UPS to show up. New TTI headers and dual X pipe exhaust enroute too. It can't get here soon enough.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

myk

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on April 21, 2014, 06:04:52 PM
Yeah, I'll just plug and play. After doing a search and reading all the threads on torsion bars I was convinced I may have went too big. Pretty exited for UPS to show up. New TTI headers and dual X pipe exhaust enroute too. It can't get here soon enough.

I know the feeling.  Part of me wants to just whip out the plastic and get everything I need RIGHT NOW...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Chargerguy74

After 10 years of holding off, I felt it was time. The midlife crisis might have had something to do with it.

myk

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on April 22, 2014, 08:22:22 AM
After 10 years of holding off, I felt it was time. The midlife crisis might have had something to do with it.

Heard that one... :yesnod:

randy73

what size engine?

If you have a 318/340/360, bigger is not better in my opinion, I have a 340 and I have to say I like my stock swaybar better than my aftermarket on.

Still have stock torsion bars, so I cannot help there. But I have heard that large torsion bars only really help with BB engines. not sure if that is true or not.

myk

Just like anything performance-related, the car has to be dialed in to the user's goals, grounded in reality.  A sway or torsion bar that's too big or too small is just as bad as a 'carb or 'cam that's too big or too small.  Testing and tuning, trial and error, and spending a good amount of money are the only ways to find that zen-spot...

Nacho-RT74

I went 1.06 from FF and I think could go with 1" and should be happy too... BigBlock... IMHO 1.12" seems to be to much unless an Hemi.

Everything depends also on the ride height you select. MY car got a relativelly low ride ( not LOW but lower than stock ), and adjusting bolt with 1.06" barelly threads in.

would wish a matching AFFORDABLE set of shocks out of the box to 73 and later models... something like the KYB Gas A just
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Back N Black

With the big torsion bars you TTI headers may hit the torsion bars. I have the .96 torsion bars with TTI headers and sometimes when i change to reverse the headers hit the bars.

Chargerguy74

I just asked Matt at firmfeel to add a pair of 1" bars to my order.

The car currently has a 340 4 speed in it, soon to be a 440 4 speed. It was originally a 360 4 speed, so I'm fighting with the idea of a 360 based stroker, either way, the matching numbers engine and transmission will probably never be put back into the car again and just stay in storage. The 340 was pulled from a '70 Challenger, and the exhaust has been rubbing quite the flat spot into the driver's torsion bar already. I hope there's no clearance issues with the TTI headers. I plan on selling the 340/4 speed since I have a rebuilt 440 and 833 OD sitting and waiting to be bolted into something. Just need some conversion mounts as I don't feel like swapping out K frames on this car.

myk

Quote from: Back N Black on April 23, 2014, 08:24:32 PM
With the big torsion bars you TTI headers may hit the torsion bars. I have the .96 torsion bars with TTI headers and sometimes when i change to reverse the headers hit the bars.

What a headache...

Chargerguy74

Well, since my order didn't ship yet, I called and ditched the 1.12" bars for the 1.06" and 1". I'll play around with those two and see which I prefer. Good thing there's a couple more big block cars with their original torsion bars on the compound for the pair I don't end up using.

flyinlow

The FF 1.06  just got installed on my '73 (BB) Have to crank the adjusters most of the way out or the ride is too high. Ran out of time too finish putting back together and test drive. 

thrillbilly

I have the 1.06 bars on my 74.  This was a small block car, used the Schumacher mounts and dropped in a 440.  I'm running Edelbrock heads and Hooker headers.  The headers are touching the bars, but has never really caused any problems.  I'm running 3 in. exhaust dumping at the axle, so I couldn't tell you if it rattles or not, lol.  I really like the way it rides and sits, but I wanted it to sit a little higher.  I have the firm feel stage 3 steering box, drives like a late model, I wouldn't change a thing now.
"She ain't revved till the rods are thrown"  DBT

flyinlow

Got the car out with the 1.06 bars. Happy with them. :2thumbs:  Firm ,but not harsh.

dangina

Nacho-RT74

I can't believe somebody actually needs bigger than 1.12!!! in fact except with an Hemi I don't understand REALLY will need 1.12 LOL... 1.06 bars,  big block here and adjuster bolt barelly threads in ( with a little bit lower ride than stock of course )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

myk

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 20, 2014, 09:09:12 AM
I can't believe somebody actually needs bigger than 1.12!!! in fact except with an Hemi I don't understand REALLY will need 1.12 LOL... 1.06 bars,  big block here and adjuster bolt barelly threads in ( with a little bit lower ride than stock of course )

Does anyone even MAKE bars bigger than 1.12?  There is such a thing as too much; at some point the car may not want to handle at all...

dangina

Quote from: myk on May 20, 2014, 09:12:18 AM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 20, 2014, 09:09:12 AM

Does anyone even MAKE bars bigger than 1.12?  There is such a thing as too much; at some point the car may not want to handle at all...

firm feel will make them as big as you want, I think the biggest is 1.24!

Nacho-RT74

Great LOL, but still, can't get what kind of car or engine would requiere bigger than 1.12, still with a 426 Hemi LOL.

myk

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 22, 2014, 10:45:03 AM
Great LOL, but still, can't get what kind of car or engine would requiere bigger than 1.12, still with a 426 Hemi LOL.

Its more of a handling thing rather than an engine size issue. But again, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing...