News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

speed pro engine rebuild kit

Started by Ryan.C, April 08, 2014, 05:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan.C

has anyone used the speed pro engine rebuild kits from summit? or any opinions of the quality of parts by speed pro?

any help is greatly appreciated
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Ryan.C

thanks for the link, it looks like the mancini kits use the same speed pro forged pistons as the kits offered by summit.

BSB67

Quote from: Ryan.C on April 08, 2014, 05:46:37 PM
has anyone used the speed pro engine rebuild kits from summit? or any opinions of the quality of parts by speed pro?

Generally their parts are fine.  It is your machine shop that really matters for parts checking, measuring and machining.

What is your goal?

Now is the time to get clear on the head/piston/compression ratio/quench.  Not getting this right now will either cause you $ correcting it later, or living with compromise.   Probably your best performance value will be a kit with the 2355 pistons with Stealth or Eddy heads :Twocents:

However, that is me making a lot of assumptions about your budget and goals.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ryan.C

Quote from: BSB67 on April 09, 2014, 07:29:39 PM
Quote from: Ryan.C on April 08, 2014, 05:46:37 PM

Generally their parts are fine.  It is your machine shop that really matters for parts checking, measuring and machining.

What is your goal?

Now is the time to get clear on the head/piston/compression ratio/quench.  Not getting this right now will either cause you $ correcting it later, or living with compromise.   Probably your best performance value will be a kit with the 2355 pistons with Stealth or Eddy heads :Twocents:

However, that is me making a lot of assumptions about your budget and goals.

the car will be street driven almost exculively.
I do have a set of stealth heads and plan to use the stock crank and rods(refurbished). I also have on the shelf a used TM7 intake and HP manifolds.  It will be a four speed with 3:55 gears oh and power brakes.
I think 450 -500HP should suit me  :icon_smile_big:  any suggestions on how to get there from here. I dont have any other parts except for what I have already mentioned and those being used are not set in stone(except the heads)

THANKS!

cudaken

Ryan, I still trust the Speed Pro name, they can have there problem!  :brickwall: Blame the lazy Machine Shop more than Speed Pro, they did not mic the piston's!  :brickwall: Bought a set of new Speed Pro L2266F 30 over off E Bay still in factory boxes. After a few 100 miles I had problems with number 2.

Pulled the motor and number 2 was had a 15 over piston, and Speed Pro does not even make a 15 over piston :shruggy: Federal Mogul bought Speed Pro and was disclaim all the warranties! Left me standing with my crank in my hand so to speak!

What yanks my crank is I did not like the looks of the first machine shops work! So I had two other shops pull it apart (So I paid for they say) and none caught the defect before I started the $6,000 engine!  :brickwall:

Make any shop give you a print out of speck's!

Would I use speed pro again, yes. Now ask me about the shops I had used!  :RantExplode: :2guns: :2guns: :2guns: :2guns: :hack: :pullinghair: :spank: :2guns: :2guns: :2guns:
I am back

BSB67

Get 2.06" compression height piston.
Zero deck
Stealth heads (porting will add power)
With manifolds - Fast rate solid lifter cam 230° to 236° wide LSA overlap no more than 50°-ish overlap.  straight up or retarded.
1.6 adjustable rockers
6 pack, or Performer RPM, or CH4B
No less than 800 cfm
TTI mandrel bent 2 1/2" exhaust

Your compression will be about 10:3:1  You might mill the heads to increase it a bit as you are probably close to 3000 ft.

This will easily put you at the 450 to 470 mark .  The car will appear stock-ish in about every measure.  Car will run in the mid-12s at about 112 mph in decent air.  Mid summer at your elevation probably .4 or .5 slower.  It will idle smooth - similar to factory.  You'll be able to drive around at less than 1800 rpm in 4th gear and it will drive very nicely, no bucking and jerking

Or

Put headers on it
keep the intake
Get a larger, conventional hydraulic cam

Probably 475 ish, it will have that bigger performance sound and feel.  Maybe run a little better numbers.  Throttle response will be a little better, and it will be a better tire shredder.  Although they should both shred the tires pretty well.

:Twocents:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

9.5 Speed Pro Hypers in my 440. (.060 over.) No problems at all but I had an outstanding shop do machining and block assembly. You need to find a Mopar machinist, I'll 2nd that. I got rid of my TM7 high rise, that's not a "well suited for street intake". (Kind of a WFO drag race part that sits so high you'll possibly need to cut a hole in the hood.) Also consider that forged pistons sit looser in the bore as they expand more than other pistons. If your going to do a lot stop and go kinds of driving your pistons will spend much of their time not fully warmed up.   :scratchchin:
It all depends on how you'll use the car and what fuel you plan on using.  :2thumbs:

BSB67

Quote from: b5blue on April 10, 2014, 07:15:47 PM
Also consider that forged pistons sit looser in the bore as they expand more than other pistons

Depends on which alloy,  2618 or 4032

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

fy469rtse

if you use forged ones , suposedly matched set, i would mic up and weigh, take a good look at pistons, had a couple of bad sets, just because the box says matched set, not correct, examin the skirts to pistons very closely, seen some bad ones