News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Windows XP what to do....

Started by squeakfinder, April 05, 2014, 09:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squeakfinder

Just wondering what your plans are if you still have it. Support from Microsoft is ending. So there won't be anymore automatic updates.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

resq302

Just because they are no longer making updates for it doesn't mean that you won't be able to use your computer. 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

squeakfinder

Wright, but at some point without the spyware/ malware updates is it going to be safe for internet use?

A383Wing

it will work as god as any other system....I would get a couple add-on protection programs

Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes are what I use here

I liked XP...was a great system

Mopar Nut

Quote from: squeakfinder on April 05, 2014, 09:39:16 PM
    Just wondering what your plans are if you still have it. Support from Microsoft is ending. So there won't be anymore automatic updates.
Don't get windows 8 or 8.1, I've had nothing but problems, if anything which to windows 7.

Quote from: A383Wing on April 05, 2014, 10:07:10 PM
I liked XP...was a great system
The best so far.   :yesnod:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

Upgrade to Windows 7; it's smooth, has a great interface and has given me no trouble at all.  Then again, I never had any problems with 'XP either...

Dino

Same here, XP worked fine and 7 has been working just fine from day one as well. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

If the idea of discontinued support troubles the 'OP, I wonder how the Apple guys deal with operating system succession? 

squeakfinder

It's just frustrating when something still works. And the people who build it are saying "it's time to upgrade to the next best thing so pay up sucker." Maybe Kim Komanda gets a kickback from Microsoft.

myk

Quote from: squeakfinder on April 06, 2014, 09:35:25 AM

It's just frustrating when something still works. And the people who build it are saying "it's time to upgrade to the next best thing so pay up sucker." Maybe Kim Komanda gets a kickback from Microsoft.

Being owners of older cars we've faced that sort of scorn and prejudice for a good portion of our lives.  I'm used to people telling me I need to "upgrade" my "old junk."  But you know what, my 1997 Motorola Star-Tac 'cell phone, Windows 7 equipped 2010 laptop, and my '69 Charger serve me just fine...

A383Wing

one concern is that some programs that work on XP will no longer work on Windows 7.....I went from a Win98se to Vista...lost a lot of programs that I used on a regular basis.....

Windows 7 is not all that great either....if you like XP, stick with it...it will always work....

squeakfinder

My internet provider has on line security. So, I guess I'm a little confused as to how well my computer will be  protected.

A383Wing

it will be protected as well as if you had any other operating system....to get to your computer, the hackers have to get past your security. Honestly, I doubt anyone would even bother with trying to get into a system running XP anyway...all the new stuff is designed to go to the newer operating systems....they use a different code

Lord Warlock

Windows 7 has an XP compatibility mode you can run older programs in, so you should be ok there with windows 7.  If the computer is a stand alone machine and doesn't access the internet, I wouldn't care at all if it didn't have support anymore and would keep using XP until the drives die, I used windows 98 long after XP came out, still would except nothing new runs on it anymore.

My mom still uses XP on her computer and is getting warnings about the demise of XP, and called me this weekend to ask about it, I told her don't worry about it, I'll be home to visit in May and I'll install Windows 7 home, or professional on her machine from one of my upgrade discs from my kids old computers they don't use anymore.  I personally do not care for Windows 8 or 8.1, its fine for tablets, but confusing for older folks to grasp, windows 7 is almost exactly like xp to use, so feel she'll be able to use it without too much adaptive learning.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Mopar Nut

Windows 7 is much better for us older folks.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

Troy

Quote from: Lord Warlock on April 06, 2014, 09:55:51 PM
My mom still uses XP on her computer and is getting warnings about the demise of XP, and called me this weekend to ask about it, I told her don't worry about it, I'll be home to visit in May and I'll install Windows 7 home, or professional on her machine from one of my upgrade discs from my kids old computers they don't use anymore.
When my mom first told me about these warnings I thought for sure it was a virus. Turns out, Microsoft included it in one of the updates. There's a check box in the warning to never see it again. My mom thought her computer was just going to quit working!

I stayed with XP for a very long time. It worked great and was light and fast. I do like Windows 7 though. Everything I need to run works just fine. The only thing I don't particularly care for is that it's a resource hog. You need lots of RAM and hard drive space to make the most of it. I will NOT use Windows 8 on anything. The company I work for is also refusing to install it anywhere so I don't have to worry about getting stuck with it there either. I had Vista Business installed at home for a few years because, at the time, it was the only 64 bit operating system that I could get (I needed lots of RAM). Despite all the problems other people had with that OS, I never had a single hiccup. I was running 10k rpm drives and lost two within a year. I had already been on Windows 7 at work for a while so made the switch to an SSD with it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ponch ®

Quote from: squeakfinder on April 05, 2014, 09:50:06 PM

Wright, but at some point without the spyware/ malware updates is it going to be safe for internet use?

well, just stop going to those fetish sites...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

JB400

Windows 8.1 gets it's update the same day XP gets the ax.  It's supposed to bring back some more features of the older systems.  Just have to wait and see. :popcrn:

Mopar Nut

Quote from: JB400 on April 09, 2014, 11:59:38 PM
Windows 8.1 gets it's update the same day XP gets the ax.  It's supposed to bring back some more features of the older systems.  Just have to wait and see. :popcrn:
Finger's crossed. 

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

John_Kunkel

I've stayed with "outdated" versions of Windows several times in the past, just because MS stops supporting it doesn't mean others do....if you have good anti-virus and malware programs you'll be OK.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Tilar

I bought a new system a couple months ago that has windows 7 and it's "ok", but it has issues... I still have 2 XP machines here that run great and I have no plans on changing anything on them.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Silver R/T

I'll keep running Xp on my desktop. Keep upgrading your spybot/malwarebytes program and running it once in a while and you should be good.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RusTy/SE

I purchased a new system through Newegg the latter half of February and have had zero issues since upgrading from XP to 8.1. Visits to forums would lock while the memory caught up. Visits to link-heavy sites would lock as I was logging in :brickwall: :RantExplode: :flame: :nana: :eek2:

What it was:

Since August 2004; IBM 8187/Windows XP 32 bit pre-installed/40GB hdd/2GB RAM/16" NEC monitor

http://www.amazon.com/IBM-ThinkCentre-8187-Desktop-Off-Lease/dp/B003DSXLAC

What it is:

Since February 2014; Dell XPS8700/Windows 8.1 64 bit pre installed/1TB/12GB RAM/HP ZR2440w 24" monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176221

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1740713 (currently out of stock plus my pre fee, taxes, shipping price was $769 :shruggy:)

My only add thus far has been Norton Security. This workstation runs extremely quiet and without hiccups.

I leave it powered up except when severe weather is imminent and 'lock' it during the day while I'm at work (Windows key + 'L'). This requires entering the password when ready to get back on but as I work in the field for the State of Alabama it's a habit I've had for many years regarding my work devices.

One other thing specifically related to my job responsibilities is that the Department I work for, Labor, has decreed that as of 1 January 2014 all workstations supported, including mobile devices i.e. tablets, laptops, be Windows 8 compatible so W8 is less a hassle to me than most; at work pre-existing installs of Windows 7 are ok and for the most part left alone but all new desktop and mobile computers we receive are imaged with W8 32 bit before being rolled out to the respective client. I agree with other's thoughts and comments regarding W7 for the casual(?) client.  :2thumbs: