News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Obama Care

Started by 400/6/PAC, March 17, 2014, 08:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

400/6/PAC

Let's not get political.

Have any of You signed up for Obama care?
I have been putting it off but looked into the ( affordable ) pricing Today.
The best deal I found was 1,059 per month for Myself and 1,012 for My Wife.
2 grand a month is not affordable for Me.
I know some of You will say ( would You rather pay a hundred thousand for a major medicle emergancy )
No I don't have a hundred grand, But I also don't have 2 K a month for insurance.
I was just wondering if any one has found a better deal.

Charger4404spd

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 400/6/PAC on March 17, 2014, 08:40:04 PM
Let's not get political.

I have been putting it off but looked into the ( affordable ) pricing Today.
The best deal I found was 1,059 per month for Myself and 1,012 for My Wife.
2 grand a month is not affordable for Me.
I know some of You will say ( would You rather pay a hundred thousand for a major medicle emergancy )
No I don't have a hundred grand, But I also don't have 2 K a month for insurance.
I was just wondering if any one has found a better deal.

That's worse than Cobra..... Unbelievable........
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

ws23rt

This does not need to be political but the very subject is political because the gov. stepped in to (help?)

Our personal lives --- taking care of our selves is up to us.  The gov is to protect us from invaders from outside and within.

The best we can do as individuals is vote.  If you don't know who to vote for than don't waste your time or the rest of us by voting with blinders on.

I'm in a situation where it would make good financial sense to retire early due to the cost of health care alone. I'm at the top of my game and at 62 not ready to step aside.  

How is it that a healthcare ---(law)-- could be something that makes me decide whether or not to retire?   If the healthcare--law-- pushes me out of the working market before my time is that going to help the market that feeds us?

I make a very good wage and pay the taxes that go with it.---Put me on the side and how many who are still working will be needed to pay for what I would pay for if I was still working?

Squeezing a golden egg from a sick goose just ain't going to happen.

TruckDriver

I have to pay $301.19 a month with a $88 a month break discount, and I get no breaks being a single dad because I don't collect taxes on my 14yo son. My ex does (but trust me, she makes up for it in that sense in the clothes and stuff she buys for him). But as far as the government is concerned, I am a single guy living alone. I will NEVER meet the $6,000 a year deductible because other then a few prescriptions and 3 doctor visits a year for checkups on my meds, I'm healthy. I would like to see prove that these people in these tv commercials for Health Care.gov are really getting coverage for as little as $24 a month. ALL the tv commercials are people getting it for under a $100 a month. Because of the insurance, now I will be living paycheck to paycheck again. I was living comfortably before it. The $300 a month I am going to be paying now, is the monthly food bill for us. I seriously want to move out of the usa now and go to Canada. Oh, and the coverage I picked, I got co-pays for my meds right away. My Blood pressure pills co pay is about $75 a month alone. I got 5 other med I take too with co-pays between $25 and $65 a month...
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bull

There's an easy fix to all of this; just don't sign up for it. When enough people ignore stupid laws the stupid laws go away or they get ignored by those who are supposed to enforce them.

Indygenerallee

I looked mine up there at the end of last year for shit's n giggles, for my family on the cheapest monthly plan it was $895.00....... along with out of this world deductibles. When I had my taxes done this year they showed I would be fined $850.00 next year if I did not have insurance by the deadline, the year after that my fine would be $1700.00  :rotz:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Todd Wilson

You guys are not the only ones finding this stuff out.............I know several people in Kansas here who simply cant afford to pay more money out every month .They are living paycheck to paycheck as it is now. Some are working less then 40 hours and they don't have the $. Even if they got a subsidy from the gubment they still could not afford to buy the insurance. The deductibles are out of site on the amounts. You will be paying for insurance and still have to pay for most of the medical services if you went to the Dr.  The only thing the insurance would help with would be something major bad that would happen. Any of the normal stuff you go see the Dr about you would still have to pay out of your pocket. It will eventually put a hardship on most everyone. If you don't buy the insurance you will be fined. I would expect any tax return you usually have will be gone to cover the fine and it would not surprise me if they just go to your bank account and seize the money.  It will be your problem to figure out how to eat the next 3 weeks because your paychecks have been seized to pay your fine!

Todd

draftingmonkey

Let's keep it non-political and call it what it is not, the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The following comments are not political, just showing the effects to myself and the missus.
Quote from: bull on March 17, 2014, 10:47:53 PM
There's an easy fix to all of this; just don't sign up for it. When enough people ignore stupid laws the stupid laws go away or they get ignored by those who are supposed to enforce them.
Easier said than done. Had foot surgery in December that would have cost me out of pocket $18K instead of the $3K I am now.

Do to being out of work since August of 2009, my income is down to under $20K (dividend and investment income is all). Therefore I do not qualify for a subsidy, only MediCal (California version of Medicaid). But the only allowable assets are 1 house, 1 car and $2K or less in savings or investments. So I would have to get rid of all my Mopars and my Jag, and get rid of most all of my savings and investments.

The effect of that is I had to buy my coverage on the open market, outside of the exchange.  Insurance is up 250%, pharmacy out of pocket 300%, doctor visits 50%+ and so on. Next year if the rates go up and I can not find work we will have to drop our insurance and hope to stay healthy. Keeping our fingers crossed.

myk

Don't know much about modern politics, economics, or any of that stuff.  All I know is that the insurance that's available to me has sky-high deductibles; even if something as simple as a broken arm were to happen I'd be out thousands before my insurance would even think about kicking in, so my question is what's the point?  $8K with insurance and $18K without insurance to mend that broken arm are equally disastrous numbers for me so I say who needs the "insurance?" 

People will then tell me that by not having insurance to mend that broken arm, I put my medical costs onto other people to take care of; is that true? 

Finally, it's my understanding that whether I want to cooperate with the insurance world or not, I will either have to employ a high-deductible insurance policy that won't help me anyway, OR get fined annually.  I don't see a way out of that mess...

Cooter

It's all about repealing this stupid law. The only reason it got past the judges was it was considered a "tax", which it is.
redistribution of wealth has been the ideal of the 18-28 y/o since the beginning of time. These now have the thinking that they should be making $80k/year right outta high school so they can ride around in that new Viper like a58 y/o that's put in 30 years at a company.

This is how Obamacare works. Take from the "rich"(middle-class) so the poor get covered. What they don't understand is, in order for someone else to get "free" sh*t, someone gets to cover the bill.
voting this Nov. Will be one way to get these idiots outta Congress.
if you stick your head in the sand like many youngins today, you have nobody but yourself to blame when your tax return, and possibly, your CHARGER is taken and given to some pos with 22 kids, and section 8 housing.

The quickest way to crush a people is take away a little of their freedoms a little at a time.
Myk, insurance is not just for broken arms, it's for the catastrophic.  Suppose you get some weird disease by cutting your hand working on your Charger. Turns into a 2year ordeal. You got 2million in the bank? A deductible of $5k don't sound so bad now Does it?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

XH29N0G

I think it must vary state to state  :brickwall:.  My rates actually came down and some other things were added.  We have been having a medical issue so I am grateful, but it also bothers me a lot to hear the problems.  We will see if this holds.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Charger_Fan

No, and I'm not going to. Let them "fine" me, I'm still not going to.
It's asinine that this was even allowed to happen in the first place.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

400/6/PAC

Quote from: Charger_Fan on March 18, 2014, 08:18:58 AM
No, and I'm not going to. Let them "fine" me, I'm still not going to.
It's asinine that this was even allowed to happen in the first place.
:2thumbs:

bull

Quote from: draftingmonkey on March 18, 2014, 02:14:52 AM
Let's keep it non-political and call it what it is not, the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The following comments are not political, just showing the effects to myself and the missus.
Quote from: bull on March 17, 2014, 10:47:53 PM
Easier said than done. Had foot surgery in December that would have cost me out of pocket $18K instead of the $3K I am now.

Do to being out of work since August of 2009, my income is down to under $20K (dividend and investment income is all). Therefore I do not qualify for a subsidy, only MediCal (California version of Medicaid). But the only allowable assets are 1 house, 1 car and $2K or less in savings or investments. So I would have to get rid of all my Mopars and my Jag, and get rid of most all of my savings and investments.

The effect of that is I had to buy my coverage on the open market, outside of the exchange.  Insurance is up 250%, pharmacy out of pocket 300%, doctor visits 50%+ and so on. Next year if the rates go up and I can not find work we will have to drop our insurance and hope to stay healthy. Keeping our fingers crossed.

According to the figures posted earlier the ACA fines or premiums you'll be paying will cost anywhere from $10k-$20k per year whether something happens to you or not. I would say it would be better to buy your own insurance and deal with high deductables. The gubment is incapable of running somehing like this better than private industry. People think insurance companies are evil, and they may well be, but they are still much more capable of insuring people than the emtity running the USPS, IRS, etc.

oldgold69

well be broke all at the same time :Twocents:

Cooter

Quote from: oldgold69 on March 18, 2014, 11:22:26 AM

And that is bo's plan. No more inequality. Everybody gets a trophy. Nobody loses.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bull

Quote from: Cooter on March 18, 2014, 11:53:47 AM
Quote from: oldgold69 on March 18, 2014, 11:22:26 AM

And that is bo's plan. No more inequality. Everybody gets a trophy. Nobody loses.

And when nobody loses on paper, everybody loses.in reality. It's communism, plain and simple. Too many leaders in this country seem to think that the only reason communism hasn't worked yet is because we haven't tried it.

Mytur Binsdirti

Living in MA, we have had the highest heath costs in the nation for years. In my business, we have 2 family plans & two single plans. A family plan was $1,400.00 & change per month & 2 single plans @ $525.00 per month. Two weeks ago,  I received the latest bill (for myself and my employees) and I was shocked to find that the bill has risen 40 f***ing%.

Mike DC

I've always kept a very high deductible for years.  Not sure how things will change now.    

I tossed out any hope of ObamaCare being decent when it reached acceptable compromises with the big industries involved.  If they didn't end up completely furious then the public was not getting anything any cheaper.  

Having said all that . . . I don't know anyone whose rates have not been going up (beyond inflation) every year for decades.  Part of the idea of this govt program, at least in theory, was to stabilize the long term climb in prices.  It might not ultimately be as hard on the public in the long term as it appears right now.  

69_500

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 18, 2014, 02:49:08 PM
I've always kept a very high deductible for years.  Not sure how things will change now.    

I tossed out any hope of ObamaCare being decent when it reached acceptable compromises with the big industries involved.  If they didn't end up completely furious then the public was not getting anything any cheaper.  

Having said all that . . . I don't know anyone whose rates have not been going up (beyond inflation) every year for decades.  Part of the idea of this govt program, at least in theory, was to stabilize the long term climb in prices.  It might not ultimately be as hard on the public in the long term as it appears right now.  

Except the largest increases have been since the law passed. National average increase of 51% since 2013. National average for previous 15 years came out to 31%. Still high but not 51% high

Mike DC

But that's pretty close to my point - if the increases with the new program are going to level off in the future (or at least slow down closer to inflation) then there would be nothing too strange about the new policy starting out even higher than the previous ones.  

The question is, does the net total in future years to come end up at a more manageable average than it would have been without the program?  

I'm not calling the program healthy (that's a laugh!).  I'm just saying its far too early to evaluate the long term on it.  And we can only ever guess at what the future of private industry might have been if the program had never existed.

400/6/PAC

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 18, 2014, 03:59:01 PM

But that's pretty close to my point - if the increases with the new program are going to level off in the future (or at least slow down closer to inflation) then there would be nothing too strange about the new policy starting out even higher than the previous ones.  

The question is, does the net total in future years to come end up at a more manageable average than it would have been without the program?  

I'm not calling the program healthy (that's a laugh!). I'm just saying its far too early to evaluate the long term on it.  And we can only ever guess at what the future of private industry might have been if the program had never existed.

Looking to the future is fine and it May help Our kids one day to afford health ins, But it doesn't help us Today that hardly make it as it is.
I would love to have the piece of mind knowing that My wife and I have insurance but the money just isn't there right now.
And what happens when I can't pay the fine either?
Do I go to jail? Do they take My house?

ITSA426

My previous insurance is fine so I kept it.  If you can buy insurance cheaper, buy it.  The heart of the law is to make sure everyone has a minimal level of health care.  I'm sick of uninsured people using emergency rooms for primary health care.  I'm surprised by how many people think that their health care cost never went up before the ACA became law.  Rising costs is what caused the health care crisis in the first place. 

Most Americans would be surprised to find we don't have the best health care in the world, just the most expensive.  We need to view health care as part of our constitutional right to life. It should not be tied to our employment or our spouse's employment.  It should be available to every citizen. 

I think the real answer is in a single payer system but the insurance industry is it's own economy.  Insurance is one industry that makes more profit simply by not providing the services a customer pays for.  If you don't believe that, then you've never pursued a claim that's been denied or lost in the abyss.  I'm pretty sure this thread was never meant to be non-political.

400/6/PAC

Quote from: ITSA426 on March 18, 2014, 04:40:50 PM
My previous insurance is fine so I kept it.  If you can buy insurance cheaper, buy it.  The heart of the law is to make sure everyone has a minimal level of health care.  I'm sick of uninsured people using emergency rooms for primary health care.  I'm surprised by how many people think that their health care cost never went up before the ACA became law.  Rising costs is what caused the health care crisis in the first place. 

Most Americans would be surprised to find we don't have the best health care in the world, just the most expensive.  We need to view health care as part of our constitutional right to life. It should not be tied to our employment or our spouse's employment.  It should be available to every citizen. 

I think the real answer is in a single payer system but the insurance industry is it's own economy.  Insurance is one industry that makes more profit simply by not providing the services a customer pays for.  If you don't believe that, then you've never pursued a claim that's been denied or lost in the abyss.  I'm pretty sure this thread was never meant to be non-political.
This thread was ment to be Non political.
Thats why My first line said ( Lets not get Political)
The thread is about insurance cost and has Anyone found a better deal then I did.