News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6 way seat- how does this thing work

Started by Lord Warlock, March 09, 2014, 12:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

My car has the 6 way seat track on the drivers side.  Before i had the seat recovered, I cleaned the rust off the seat tracks, wire brushed it all clean, and painted it to protect it from rusting again, I believe I may have used Por15 paint when i did it, which may have been a mistake.  I was sitting in the car today, and the seat slides back and forth ok, but I can't seem to get it to go up and down.  I remember the best position for me in the past was higher in the front, but lower in the rear, but with it in the raised position my head is almost bumping the roof and my legs can barely get under the steering wheel.  Something isn't right.  I may have to take it out and take it apart to make sure it works, but I have no clue which knob does what and allows the adjustment of the position of the seat other than forward and aft. 

Feeling my age today. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

HANDM

If I recall, I have to tilt the lever back (or forward, been a while) while pushing up on the top of the steering wheel while kinda flopping down and back.....  :smilielol:
Tilting one way moves the front up and down, the other way does the back
It took a while for it to start working smoothly

moparjohn

Yes, the flat lever contols tilt and height, you need to use your body mass to "move" the position while holding the lever.John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Lord Warlock

The lever doesn't seem to be working right anymore, the fore aft adjustment lets me slide back and forth, but it isn't locking into position like it should and the up down adjustment doesn't seem to disengage at all, I do remember that the seat was never easy to adjust before, but now it doesn't want to work at all.  If i have to, I'll take the seat out, remove the seat tracks and clean off the levers and springs etc to try and loosen things up.  The option appears to be fairly rare so they aren't easily found for a reasonable price online, so only option to me is to try and fix it, I need to adjust the back of the seat lower to give me head room. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

6pkrtse

I had to put newer higher tension springs I bought from the local auto parts store on my 6 way seat. The old spring didn't have enough tension to hold the mechanism into their retainer grooves any more.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

lloyd3

Where might one find a 6-way seat frame that would work in a '68 car? Would that be a bolt-in modification where you simply put your original bucket seat on a different (better?) frame for us larger folks?

6pkrtse

I am sure if you can find a 69' or 70' you can make it work in a 68'

lloyd3

Interesting! Did other B-bodies have this option?

6pkrtse

Yes, 71 & up but they are the same as E bodies then.

Lord Warlock

finding one is the fun part, but it would work on a 68 seat as well as a 69, my seats were lowback 68 style without headrests but with 69 pattern.  I thought the other B bodies had the option available but not sure on that.  There is one on ebay now, but they're asking 600 for it.

Mytur Binsdirti

It works like a rocking chair, except with notches.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 6pkrtse on March 14, 2014, 11:50:37 AM

The six way I have is out of a '70.

To make it work with my '69 seat, I had to alter the mounting holes where the seat bolts to the top. :Twocents:

It cost me $85 at the local swap meet... :2thumbs:

20 years ago... :slap: :smilielol:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 14, 2014, 05:41:46 PM

To make it work with my '69 seat, I had to alter the mounting holes where the seat bolts to the top. :Twocents:

I got you beat by $10 bux and 10 years!

$75 for my '69 version 10 years ago on ebay complete with the knobs & no broken studs ;)

My tracks are a bit worn out though....the seat is kinda loose side to side

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

FYI...PG Cassics is reproducing the 70 B body style and they have them on sale now.....  Only $463.50  ::)

Heading says its for 68-70 but inside the link it states 70 only....

http://www.pgclassic.com/product_info.php?products_id=586&osCsid=977a70a20ad02fb03b07f5f01eb2347b

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Lord Warlock

I can see the unit selling for 200 bucks, but 450 is a bit steep and 600 for the one online is outrageous to me at least, even if they say it came from a hemi car or not.  It isn't that complicated looking and really doesn't do that much as far as adjustments,  I do remember i used to like to have the seat lower in the back and higher in front.  Hate to have to take the seat out again,  just bolted that mother in place two weeks ago, was just sitting in the holes before that for years.  Pulled the rear seat out this week to do some stereo wiring work.  

Need to get new knobs for mine, have one of them somewhere, but will likely order the two knobs online somewhere once i get the seat mechanism to work right again.  

So which spring does what? I'm sure i can figure it out once i take it out and look at it again close up, doesn't look like rocket science.  But will have to get the forward and aft adjuster to lock into the teeth again, its moving forward and back but not locking in place, and get the up down mechanism to free up movement.  My guess is that it didn't like getting painted with Por15 too much, didn't want it to rust and it probably won't now, but it should still work with a little elbow grease.  (and new springs if i can find em)

Mine has a wire going across and no large spring, i imagine the wire isn't providing enough tension.

Lord Warlock

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Lord Warlock on March 14, 2014, 06:23:53 PM

Mine has a wire going across and no large spring, i imagine the wire isn't providing enough tension.

As does my original I posted above
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 14, 2014, 06:02:13 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 14, 2014, 05:41:46 PM

I got you beat by $10 bux and 10 years!

$75 for my '69 version 10 years ago on ebay complete with the knobs & no broken studs ;)

My tracks are a bit worn out though....the seat is kinda loose side to side

Well... :scratchchin:

The guy wanted $100...

I offered $75.

But the bastard held his ground and got the extra $10 out of me. :brickwall: :icon_smile_big:

I guess he knew a sucker when he saw one. ::) :smilielol:

VegasCharger

Quote from: Lord Warlock on March 14, 2014, 06:44:32 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-Charger-Hemi-six-way-seat-Track-6-way-original-/171266611286?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e0491856&vxp=mtr

Mine looks like the one in this picture, but mine is a 69 not a 70, 

As you said $600.00 on this ebay listing WOW!
And let's throw in another $125.00 for shipping while we're at it.
Probably cost him $40.00 at the most to ship in the continental US.  :smilielol:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 14, 2014, 10:35:55 PM

Well... :scratchchin:

The guy wanted $100...

I offered $75.

But the bastard held his ground and got the extra $10 out of me. :brickwall: :icon_smile_big:

I guess he knew a sucker when he saw one. ::) :smilielol:

:haha:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

lloyd3

This is something I would consider if it gets me the level off adjustment needed. It doesn't sound like it was available in 1968, so I'm making a change that I normally wouldn't, but....comfort is very much a consideration these days (it seems).  From what I've gathered from previous posts here, the 6-way was available from 1969 on, and in various models besides the Charger?  It also sounds like wear and tear is a factor to consider when shopping for one.  Another question: are the b-body versions different from the e-bodies?

Ghoste

I think the E-body one is different but I'm not certain.

lloyd3

moparfan53

Quote from: Ghoste on March 16, 2014, 09:15:09 AM
I think the E-body one is different but I'm not certain.

Here is info with pics explaining the different 6 way seats.

http://www.nicksgarage.com/6way.htm

:cheers:

six-tee-nine

I got mine for free guys.....
My shell came with a set of seats from another car and it had a 6 way on the driver seat altough my car came origianlly without a 6 way.
Problem was It was seized from alot of rust. I took it apart, grinded all of the heads of the rivets to be able to reuse them (by tapping threads in them and putting a bolt where the head was I ground away).
Life got in the way and all of it ended in a box, so I'm gonna do some puzzling when I get to that again :eyes:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...