News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

V21 paint, how do you keep it clean

Started by Lord Warlock, March 05, 2014, 02:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

I had painted the hood and cowl area with Organisol textured black paint simulating the 69 v21 appearance, (option wasn't available when my car was built but I prefer the looks of the hood painted that way so doing it anyway even if not coded for it).  Anyway,  the textured black paint collects dust and is difficult to keep clean,  it has a semi rough surface so you can't polish or wax those areas, but when waxing the painted areas the wax leaves a residue if you get any on the black. It would be far easier to maintain if it was clearcoated and smooth,  were the original cars just left with the textured black coating? or did the factory do something to protect it from the elements?  What are other people doing when they paint the v21 hood appearance option?  

When i painted the car, i used single stage polyurethane, so the rest of the car doesn't have a coat of clear, its just been wetsanded to remove the orange peel and polished/buffed back out to get a shine similar to fresh paint.  I do however have a quart of leftover 2K clearcoat as well as some more expensive BASF clear that I used with the challenger hood, but the most obvious solution isn't always the best solution, so figured i'd ask the experts.   After repainting other sections of the car, and it having been a few years since i painted the hood last time,  I plan on repainting the v21 on the hood again, already ordered the paint for it, but wondering if I should clear it or just deal with dust collection from now on.

I know I can always just get a medium stiff brush and scrub the areas clean, but it seems that it would be an ongoing concern or problem to deal with as the garage it sits in seems to attract dust like crazy since the walls are unfinished.  Looking for a more suitable solution.  When i painted the TA hood on my new challenger, i used the same Organisol paint, then wetsanded it smooth and cleared over it, and ended up with a smooth semi gloss finish that looked right with the srt8 spoiler and satin side stripes.  I'd like the hood to match the stripe on the rear fenders.  

Thanks in advance.  
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

tan top

IMO would just paint in satin / semi gloss !! less agro !   :Twocents:  not original  but ...  no trouble keeping clean
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Ruh roh.....the V21 is a go for me this season. :thumbs:

Yes, originally it was just painted Organisol.  No clear coat on it.  

My painter (the infamous Bill440RT) & I are deciding on how I want to have mine painted now.  Original Organisol?---- Hot Rod Black?--- PPG DP90 "dry sprayed"?  :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Daytona R/T SE

Wipe it down with lemon pledge. :Twocents:

The stuff in a spray can for dusting wood furniture.

Seriously. :yesnod:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 05, 2014, 07:34:48 PM

Hmm....interesting :scratchchin:

Does it make the textured surface have any sheen to it?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

You can try using some of this stuff:
http://www.ratwax.net/

Haven't tried it, but it sure looks interesting.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dino

Pledge does indeed work and does not leave a sheen unless you clean it every day and end up polishing it!

Plain water and soap is still the safest way though.

I'll be using hot rod black on mine.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 05, 2014, 08:29:57 PM

Hmm....interesting :scratchchin:

Does it make the textured surface have any sheen to it?

I use to use it on the hood blackout on my Challenger I had years ago.

When I first got the car the hood blackout looked grey.

I'd wipe it down with a rag sprayed with Pledge and it would blacken it right up.

I don't remember it being too shiney. :scratchchin:

But...

It did make it smell lemony fresh !  :2thumbs: ;)

charger Downunder

I just squirt mine with water to clean it.
[/quote]

Lord Warlock

Funny, I have a can of hotrod black that i bought thinking it was something else, think i was planning on painting the stealth roof black and picked up the wrong box and got hotrod black which i assumed was flat black, not satin black, needed gloss black for the roof, trim and headlight doors on that car so never used it (also its lacquer not urethane).  Maybe i should break it out and have a look.  Can't paint anything for a few days, temps here in florida won't be 70 degrees till the weekend, and i prefer not to spray till it hits high 60s at least.  Otherwise takes too long to dry and dust is a problem if wet too long.

Leaves an option open at least.  Nice to know pledge works, the wife has a few cans of that laying around and wouldn't miss a can if i snuck one out to the garage, she'd think the daughter used it and didn't put it back. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I used the HRB kit on my grill frame with great results (well a body shop did anyway ;) )  Nice sheen to it as well....Just right for V21 I think :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

charger Downunder

Have a look at john deere black paint.
[/quote]

maxwellwedge

That is what a lot of A12 guys were doing back in the day. I have done it and it's good. Now I just spray on final detail spray heavy and take a micro-fibre cloth over it. Works good too. Too much texture makes it harder to do....but it still works.

Moparparts

I am with Bill That Rat Wax looks interesting. I have been using 303 protectant on my factory textured fiberglass hood , rear spoiler and vinyl side stripes on my T/A for over 8 years. I apply it with a soft sponge then lightly wipe the stripes with a soft cloth. Does a very nice job. 303 is available at most camping supply stores or camper sales places. It is also great for convertible or vinyl tops which i have been using it on them for well over 10 years it is a very good product 

lukedukem

Quote from: Dino on March 05, 2014, 09:38:34 PM
Pledge does indeed work and does not leave a sheen unless you clean it every day and end up polishing it!

Plain water and soap is still the safest way though.
I'll be using hot rod black on mine.   :yesnod:

this is what i use, but then again mine is just hot rod black and not V21.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

AKcharger

Good question really comes up about originality vs. ease of maintenance/cleaning. My car is an original V21 car (only one of 121!!!) and I was going to use rustolum semi-gloss black because I can still wash/wax without any consequences. On the '70 I installed my stripe and clear coated over it, now I just wax over the whole thing as opposed to the '72 hood blackout decal that is vinyl..what a pain!!!!

Lord Warlock

I got the cans of organisol yesterday and resprayed the v21 treatment (took one can) on one side in a small area, I tried out some clear coat over the organisol to see if it reacted badly or not.  Gratefully it only did what it was supposed to, but I've found I don't like how organisol looks with clear coat over it, the textured surface just didn't look right so I plan on recoating the small area and just keeping a can of pledge handy. 

AKcharger

Quote from: Lord Warlock on March 12, 2014, 01:18:15 PM
I got the cans of organisol yesterday and resprayed the v21 treatment (took one can) on one side in a small area, I tried out some clear coat over the organisol to see if it reacted badly or not.  Gratefully it only did what it was supposed to, but I've found I don't like how organisol looks with clear coat over it, the textured surface just didn't look right so I plan on recoating the small area and just keeping a can of pledge handy. 
Keep us posted!

Lord Warlock

I went back out and looked at the surface, ready to recoat with organisol but the clear had dried and it looked satin afterwards, and with the garage door open the organisol areas were covered with dust and pollen that was in the air, the cleared area wiped off easily the non cleared gripped the dust strongly,  so decided to contradict myself and try a larger area, was using a can of dupont spray can clear normally used for jambs and blending edges, got most of the cowl area covered and one side of the hood, and sure enough, ran out of clear...jeez can't win.  Have to go out tomorrow and get another can to finish the attempt.  I don't want to use clear from a spray gun because it will get all over the rest of the paint job and the windshield which was only partially masked (tape gets expensive when getting a couple rolls at a time) It still has a textured appearance, but is slightly darker than the flat look from before.  May decide to go back to organisol or even hot rod black if i have to, mainly due to the surface which looks kind of like it was dusty and was painted over the dust (wasn't) or I may just live with it for a while once I finish the clear job. 

Normally I don't like letting paint completely dry before pulling the masking off, it comes off cleaner and doesn't tear along the edge if the paint isn't completely dry yet, so I'm a little concerned what will happen when I pull the masking on the hood and windshield area off, really hope it doesn't pull a chunk off the edge, that will piss me off big time.  I know I'll have to hand wetsand the edges and tops of the fenders that have some overspray from the organisol off the surface, its mostly like black dust  but I know when the tape comes off there will be edges to deal with. 

maxwellwedge

At the factory - All areas that were to have Organosol...the Organosol was sprayed and then masked off prior to body color paint. Just a little fun fact. :)  I don't think I would ever clear coat organosol....it kind of defeats the purpose. Sprayed properly - it looks great by itself. Real organosol was lacquer.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 13, 2014, 08:40:05 AM
At the factory - All areas that were to have Organosol...the Organosol was sprayed and then masked off prior to body color paint. Just a little fun fact. :)  I don't think I would ever clear coat organosol....it kind of defeats the purpose. Sprayed properly - it looks great by itself. Real organosol was lacquer.
I agree....thats why you see original paint V21 cars with no body color under the V21 (which seemed to wear off fairly easilly...)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

maxwellwedge

Lord Warlock

Yep wish i'd gotten to look at them before i sprayed the organisol, got the cowl area pretty close to stock, but the hood painted area in the middle i should have masked it so it had some organisol on the back edge, I painted mine where the corners flow to the back edge of the hood, so its not exactly correct but its close. 

contemplated the clearcoat, cleared half of it before running out of clear, would have had to go to the store to get more and the next day I looked hard at it again, and had to make a hard decision,  with clearcoat on it, the texture underneath looked wrong, the bumps showed up more distinctly than i wanted, even though you could wipe it off alot easier,  finally made the decision and broke out the second can of organisol and resprayed both sections and cowl area again with a final coat, and blended it so you couldn't see the strokes in the paint.  Came out looking very nice again, think it will have to look like it does now until i change my mind again, and still have enough organisol to go over the trunk light panel one more time if i have to.  I'll take some pics of it tomorrow and post them up...cuz everyone knows if there are no pics it didn't happen.  As i suspected after removing the masking, there was some paint that got on the tops of the fenders that i didn't mask off,  a little reducer and a soft cloth and it all came off clean.  Today I spend an hour removing the side rocker chrome and removing some overspray from the top edge of that, then tried to bleed the brakes only to find a leak in the distribution block that i need to fix before i can bleed the rest. 

Just 6T9 CHGR

I actually have a template made from the F6 green R/T pictured above.....its member LeesRT car from CA....I will be using that when I do my V21.  We also used it on Bill440RT's car as well :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T