News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gonna buy a comet

Started by 73-charger-383, March 10, 2006, 09:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-charger-383

does that make me a bad person?  I found a 66 comet caliente with a running 302 and a c4 transmission.  There a little rust above the rear wheelwells, and some sloppy patch panels on the inside drivers side of the trunk, but other than that, it's in great shape. --i'm not a fomoco guy at all, but it is kinda a cool body style, and for 500 bucks i figure it worth the barn space.---i'll post up pics as soon as i get it home.

Charger_Fan

If it's the original engine, it's probably a 289 engine...and possibly a FMX tranny. Still good though, can't beat the price tag. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bull

Yes, you are a bad person. :yesnod: :icon_smile_evil:

twilt

At least it isnt the later Maverick twin. I had two later Mavericks, 72 and 75. What garbage scows they were. The 72 was given to me free and 15 years later, i still feel like i got the short end of that deal. It wouldn`t start one day at my job, so i sold it to one of the maintenence guys for
$10 . I didnt know or care what was wrong with it. I still feel a little guilty for stealing the guys $10. 

dpm68

What garbage scows they were. - oh my god...that's funny as s**t! Please don't mind if I adopt that one...

ipstrategies

I had a Maverick Grabber years ago when I need a car for a few months before I went into the Airforce. 302 4 Barrel 4 speed, actually pretty fun not like my Mopars but hey it was  a Ford. I sold it when I went to basic training made money off it and that was in 85. The buyer drove it until 95. It of course rotted and fell apart.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Mike DC

A Comet?
Some poop smells better than others, but it's still poop.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But there is some desirability in a clean Comet, at least among Ford guys.  So you may be able to turn a nice profit from the Comet and devote the money to a worthy Mopar project at some point.  And Phord or not, there's nothing wrong with saving another muscle-era car with RWD V8 pontential. 

I say go for it.

Crazy440

Some of those Ol' Cans of Cleanser, are cool.  There's a 65 around here, that the guy shoehorned a 460 into.  Pretty nasty little ride.

Crazy
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

Paladin

Nope, not in my book anyway.  I always really liked the '65s through '67s, and also the '69-'72 Cyclones.  The earlier ones, like you have, shared just about everything beneath the sheet metal with a Mustang, so there are a pletoria of updates out there.  Body parts though, can be a different story. 

If it has the C4, that could be the original transmission.  As best as memory serves, the FMX did not come out until a couple of years later, when Ford Motor Company started making the 351 Windsors and Clevelands.  C4s are much easier to find parts for than the FMX.  The only V8s available that year were the 289 or the 390.  Both came in several different varieties. 

I say good for you, and if I lived any closer, I would drive by and take a look at it.  They were very good cars in their day and had a lot of success on the dragstrips, road rallys and the SCCA events.  Mercury campaigned them extensively until the Cougar came out. 

May God bless America,
Paladin
1966 Ford Thunderbird Town Landau
1971 Dodge Charger R/T
1977 Chrysler Cordoba A35
1979 Dodge Lil' Red Express
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
1985 Dodge Ramcharger
1986 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster
1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Dodge Sport 2500 V10   
2001 Dodge Durango SLT