News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stock Car Rims

Started by comet_666, February 20, 2014, 04:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

In the ever changing world of me trying to pick rims for my car...these popped into my brain for some reason..

15x12 rear
15x8 front

thoughts?

Mike DC

Some roundy-round wheels are not DOT approved for the street.  Supposedly not strong enough, although they would seem to be okay. 

JB400

Make sure you get the ones that are DOT approved and the correct lug nuts to mount them.

Ghoste

Can't help but wonder what quality, or more accurately what lack of, makes a stock car rim not meet DOT approval?

RallyeMike

All that, plus I don't think they make those in 12" wide, and certainly not the backspace you'd need unless you plan to go old school and jackup the rear to the moon.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on February 20, 2014, 05:56:46 PM
Can't help but wonder what quality, or more accurately what lack of, makes a stock car rim not meet DOT approval?

Most times, like with the 3 1/2" X 15 aluminum ones that say "for off Road use only", the wheels are so light, they will bend at the slightest dip in the road.
the 10-12" wheels may very well fiit if you narrow the rear for the right offset.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

You would think a stock car rim would be robust enough.  Certainly more so than a 3 1/2 wide aluminum pizza cutter.

Indygenerallee

Nope, Stock car rims are thin as possible to reduce weight, the centers can flex and break out around the lug holes, also if you were to get in a accident with non DOT approved rims your gonna be facing a major lawsuit if you happen to do major damage to persons or property... :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

Really?  That surprises me too because I would have thought they needed extra beef around the mounting to withstand side loads.
These aren't statements of doubt by the way, just saying it surprised me to learn it.

HPP

There area varying levels of lightness to race specific wheels.  A 15x7 race wheel can weigh anywhere from 15-25 pounds depending on style and application. Compared to 25-35# for a street wheel, that's quite an improvement. Certainly they are pretty strong, but they do tend to make the hoops thinner and d.o.t. compliance entails a pretty fair amount of testing that race wheel manufacturers don't necessarily want to foot the bill to perform since it is not their primary application.

They also use a 45* taper on the lug seats as opposed to a street wheels 60* taper, so they require race specific lug nuts.

comet_666

These ones are DOT approved, not a fan of the 15x8 size however...

comet_666

Not sure how these would look on my car though...

Dino

D window wheels look pretty on any muscle car.  It gives It that 'don't mess with me' look and lends itself to adding RWL or yellow if you can!

The right guy could take a D wheel and build it into any size you want.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

comet_666

Geez, I like these too.

Ghoste

Those I like much better than the first pic.

Mike DC

The typical dirt track racecar is much lighter weight than a street car, which puts less stress on the rims. 

But even with that difference, I've always had a feeling the lack of DOT approval for most (steel) racecar wheels has more to do with the price of certification than the weakness of the wheels.

The off-road truck & jeep world is another place to look for wheels.  They're cheap, durable, and they come in musclecar sizes & bolt patterns.

The Ford/Mustang crowd is a place to look too.   They deal in 5x4.5" bolt circles and their hobby is huge.

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Highbanked Hauler

I have had 10X15 stock car wheels on mine since 1998 with no problems and my wheels have a 1/4 in. thick center and yes there are lightweight out there. The difference that I can see between DOT rims and stocker wheels is the lug nut seat.  Street rims have a 60 degree seat and a stocker wheel has a 45 degree seat and if you use a 60 degree nut in a 45 degree wheel you'd chew the holes out in short order.  I use 45 degree lug nuts on my wheels and have never had a wheel get loose in 18,000 mi. :Twocents:

I am still waiting for somebody to prove to me I'm wrong, seriously I'll be corrected. :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

comet_666

Just found out they make these in 17x9...
Wish that vexer fitment guide still worked so I could see what tires to put on them..