News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Train Bridge on Fire In Kansas

Started by PocketThunder, March 09, 2006, 12:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

Got this in a e-mail forward... :o

The Good news:

It was a normal day in Sharon Springs, KS when a Union Pacific crew boarded a loaded coal train to head on the long trek back to Salina.

The Bad news:

Just a few miles into the trip a wheel bearing became overheated and melted off letting the truck support drop down and grind on top of the rail creating white hot molten metal droppings to spew downward on the rail.

The Good news:

A very alert crew noticed a small amount of smoke about halfway back in the train and immediately stopped the train in compliance with the rules.

The Bad news:

The train just happened to stop with the hot wheel on top of a wooden bridge built with creosote ties and trusses...

RULES ARE RULES! Don't let common sense get in the way of a good disaster!
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

:o
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Blown70

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

HAZZARDJOHN

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."

4402tuff4u

:o :o :o Wow is right! dayum, bridge fire disaster and today tornadoes!! I'm not surprise how that timber bridge burned so quickly. That bridge was probably built with heavily treated creosoted timbers. Creosote is very flammable.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Telvis

I wonder what the dollar figure is on all that? The bridge, train, cleanup and lost use of the bridge. I bet somebody's underwear was in a bunch over that.

Todd Wilson

Those pictures are from a long time ago. That happened 4-5 years ago.  Hot wheel journals happen fast and theres usually not much time to do anything but stop. Most likely the fire burned the air hose in 2 and the train went into emergency braking and thats were she sat when it got stopped. No way to move it because the air wouldnt pump back up. Just happened to be a bridge there.

Todd

derailed

I thought I had remembered hearing an incident like that awhile back, thought maybe it happened again. Heres a few pics of the bridge incident that happened on the CP line a few weeks back. The bridge is about a mile long and goes over The St. Lawrence seaway near Lasalle Que. They have to replace about 1300 feet of ties and possible structure damage. The winds were real bad that day and it blew over some doube stacks and started a chain reaction. They ended up going in between the 2 bridge spans.

Johnny SixPack

Holey CR@P!  :o :o :o

That's gotta really f things up with having to reroute around that now.  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Charger_Fan

I'm glad Todd explained the emergency brake thing...because my first thought was "move the train, idiots"!

So when train cars get derailed for whatever reason, are there big cranes that roll on the tracks to pick them back up again?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bad1032

search revealed it happened in 2002, cool pictures.

BB1

It's old, hell I've done worse stuff than that.  :icon_smile_approve:

They call me the train wrecker, or crash for short.  ;D

1. Side swipe two locos
2. Derailed 14 cars
3. Derailed and hit a concrete overpass.

All in one year!  :spank:
Delete my profile

Todd Wilson

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on March 10, 2006, 09:55:05 AM
I'm glad Todd explained the emergency brake thing...because my first thought was "move the train, idiots"!

So when train cars get derailed for whatever reason, are there big cranes that roll on the tracks to pick them back up again?

You dont understand the railroad. Rules are golden. You dont ever break the rules. Our managers are out there 24/7 in the weeds watching you.  Its worse then cops and robbers.  If they had pulled off that bridge they would be violating many safety rules and then you can get fired. The train had to be brought to a smooth stop and inspection of a hotbox before the train can move again.

I have seen in the past railroad cars get derailed and the crew gets into trouble because they DID not set the hand brake on the derailed car to secure it from movement. It can be buried 3 feet in the dirt but it better have a handbrake on it.

As far as rerailing cars it depends. Cranes come in or they have modifiied pile drivers which are bull dozers with a short side boom kinda like a fork lift and use 2 of them to lift cars back up and on the track. When its not bad we use frogs to get them back on the rail.

Todd

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Todd Wilson on March 10, 2006, 12:49:57 PM

You don't understand the railroad. Rules are golden. You don't ever break the rules. Our managers are out there 24/7 in the weeds watching you.  Its worse then cops and robbers.  If they had pulled off that bridge they would be violating many safety rules and then you can get fired. The train had to be brought to a smooth stop and inspection of a hotbox before the train can move again.

I have seen in the past railroad cars get derailed and the crew gets into trouble because they DID not set the hand brake on the derailed car to secure it from movement. It can be buried 3 feet in the dirt but it better have a handbrake on it.

As far as rerailing cars it depends. Cranes come in or they have modifiied pile drivers which are bull dozers with a short side boom kinda like a fork lift and use 2 of them to lift cars back up and on the track. When its not bad we use frogs to get them back on the rail.

Todd

I know exactly what Todd means about Railroad Transit rules and regulations. Here in New York I was running a pile driving job for a new railroad bridge over a busy rail artery in Queens (Glendale), New York and we couldn't do anything during certain times of the day because the transit agency did not want us to disturb the train scheduled. The pile driver was right next to the rails. We had approximately 6 transit workers just watching us work all the, every day, to make sure we didn't do anything that they felt would jeopardize the trains. I believe all rails fall under strict Federal laws and regulations for what I was told. Anyway, one day one of the crawler's chains on the pile driver broke and the pile rig was right next to a rail that was scheduled to become active in several hours. I had mechanics coming to fix it and I was then approached a federal agent (big guy!) for the rail commission and he told me "if the pile driver is not remove from the rail area in 1 hour, I'll have my crew that I have on standby cut it up and remove it off the rail! You decide what you want to do" and walked away. I was able to get the general contractor to help me out with a D9 dozer (big ass dozer) and he pulled on the bad crawler while we walked the pile rig. Those railroad guys meant business!!
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Shakey

I put some coins on the track when I was a kid.  Hope I didn't f**k anything up.   :D

BB1

Quote from: Todd Wilson on March 10, 2006, 12:49:57 PM

You dont understand the railroad. Rules are golden. You dont ever break the rules. Our managers are out there 24/7 in the weeds watching you. Its worse then cops and robbers. If they had pulled off that bridge they would be violating many safety rules and then you can get fired. The train had to be brought to a smooth stop and inspection of a hotbox before the train can move again.

Dam, I knew I forgot to remember that.  :smilielol:

I own the managers, they answer to me.  ^-^
Delete my profile

derailed

Quote from: Shakey on March 10, 2006, 02:53:41 PM
I put some coins on the track when I was a kid.  Hope I didn't f**k anything up.   :D
:haha:  maybe just in the soda machine afterwards