News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Dukes Movie??

Started by jaak, February 18, 2014, 10:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

That Bullet movie won't be like the Bullitt that we know and love.  It'll be more like Machete.  That's the only type of movies that guy does.

Dino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 19, 2014, 03:10:45 PM
QuoteThey came up with a sling of sorts suspended from the cage to control lower back problems.

Now that's interesting.  Thanks Cooter!

Cooter is right.  They invented a corset/vest thing which was strapped to the ceiling of the car. When combined with the regular 5pt harness it helped to hold their back vertebrae stretched out.  It doesn't make those jumps painless but it helps.  

In the TV show pretty much everything was live-driven.  The turnovers were always pipe ramped rather than cannon rolled.

These days cable-launching (unmanned) cars is becoming more common.  For the really big jumps (150+ feet) it's a practicality issue as much as anything.  Live driven cars need to be safer vehicles, they can't do several takes, they need more straight run space before & after the jumps, etc.  But IMO the live-driven jumps do look better.  

Thank you much, that is very informative.   :2thumbs:

I apologize if this is common knowledge but how do you know so much about all this?

And I agree it would be a bit hard to improve on an actual jump...but the consequences.   :eek2:

Did that guy that landed on the front bumper get out okay a few years back?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

sanders7981

Quote from: Brock Samson on February 19, 2014, 02:16:35 PM
And in related news...  :scratchchin: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2544734/

GTFO!!!!  Don't think this will be that great of a flick... Sorry, but I just can't see Trejo as Frank Bullet.

Cooter

Quote from: bill440rt on February 19, 2014, 01:34:21 PM
Quote from: Cooter on February 19, 2014, 06:22:02 AM
Quote from: bill440rt on February 18, 2014, 08:00:40 PM
Here's another absurd scenario from the opposite end of the spectrum.  :scratchchin:
A seller sells a pile-o-turd Charger to a buyer. That new owner fixes it up to the Charger he's always dreamed of. He even paints it orange.
Should the seller take credit?  :scratchchin:  :shruggy:
And what would Rosco say? Coo-coo-coo...   :icon_smile_wink:

As absurd as it may seem, I have seen this scenario happen actually.
a buddy sold a GL to a buddy. He fixes it up as the right rear quarter was tore up bad. After it was repaired, seller tells EVERYBODY who will listen, that it's his old GL, when it never looked that nice when HE owned it.

Another along those lines would be like when another buddy sold his car. It was never really the new owners car, as it will always be "James' old car". Of course, there has actually been times when other people at shows have in order to get their point across that they can do bodywork/paint, have taken credit for others work.

Then, there's the what refer to as the 'did you a favor and will collect on it forever' people.
these types sell you a car you have been after for a while at a deal. They NEVER let you forget it everytime they want something.

So you see, just because one doesn't see the forest for the trees, or even agree the trees are there, i won't call em 'absurd'....

Cooter, you do realize though that in each example the credit given is based on a presumptuous lie on the seller's part?
Not saying you are wrong, but while it may not be totally absurd their thought process is quite silly.  :lol:

Look at it this way. I give the seller credit for selling to you your Charger.
Otherwise, it would probably still be sitting there rotting into the earth. However, the honor is only yours for fixing it up & giving it a new life. No one else takes credit for that.  :cheers:
Just like you would not be responsible for whatever the new owner does to your GL. Who knows, maybe he'll put 22" wheels on it.  :scared:  :lol:

Ahh, but there's the point. I wouldn't be bitching about it in threads.. Thing is, if the new owner puts 40" rims and donks it out, if i didn't want that to ever happen, its simple....never sell it. Otherwise, General Lees will continue to fly through the air, be destroyed in movies, and cause everybody else's 2nd gen to go up in value. To whine, bitch, and moan about destroyed 2nd gens painted orange is absurd. Someone figured the money was better than the car's fate. Afterall, I see bitching about the GL's, but yet NOBODY complained when TWO rare Chargers were destroyed and never stand a chance of being rebuilt by even the best of bodymen?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cdr

NOBODY complained when TWO rare Chargers were destroyed and never stand a chance of being rebuilt by even the best of bodymen?

:icon_smile_question:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Cooter

Quote from: cdr on February 19, 2014, 06:35:12 PM
NOBODY complained when TWO rare Chargers were destroyed and never stand a chance of being rebuilt by even the best of bodymen?

:icon_smile_question:

They were sad of course, but nothing like these threads. One was that white car that got majority totalled, and the other was the red R/T SE IIRC. Rather than repair the red one, just sold it I think.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

sanders7981

Honestly, I don't get what the bitching is all about.  It's JUST a paint job... Which can be changed at some point.  Wg, in the hobby, sold be happy knowing that others take interest in preserving the history of our II Gens by resto-modding them. 

Just my  :Twocents:

Mike DC

QuoteThank you much, that is very informative.   2thumbs

I apologize if this is common knowledge but how do you know so much about all this?

And I agree it would be a bit hard to improve on an actual jump...but the consequences.   eek

You mean that live event in 2003 where the GL nosed down & bounced end-over end?  Yeah he was fine.  The whole thing happened because the car's trunk wasn't weighted enough and the run-up to the ramp wasn't really smooth enough either.  The trunk lacked ballast because the crew was concerned about the weights coming flying out of the car in a wreck.  They weren't used to doing those stunts with spectators at close range.  They've since improved the retaining method but it's still an issue.  (A couple years later the ballast ripped itself out of the car in mid-air because the car was so rusty!)

The jumps actually hurt worst when the car "pancakes" on all four wheels.  Hitting front or rearend first spreads it out into two smaller impacts.  Going nose-down makes it easier for the driver to see where/how the car will land.  It also turns it into more of a horizontal collision for their bodies and less of a vertical one.

It makes more sense when you realize that the car's suspension does practically nothing to cushion it.  Just the impact of hitting the takeoff ramps at full speed is hard enough to bottom-out all four wheels and sometimes bend the unibody.  The landings . . . the wheels get slammed up into the chassis so hard the springs/shocks might as well not even be there.  

I learned this stuff just from hanging around talking to stunt guys & mechanics at "Dukes" live events a few years back.  Some of those guys are Hollywood veterans with decades of experience in TV & movies.  

bill440rt

Quote from: Cooter on February 19, 2014, 06:28:49 PM

Ahh, but there's the point. I wouldn't be bitching about it in threads..

C'mon now, don't sell yourself short.  :icon_smile_wink:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Cooter

Quote from: bill440rt on February 20, 2014, 08:15:46 AM
Quote from: Cooter on February 19, 2014, 06:28:49 PM

Ahh, but there's the point. I wouldn't be bitching about it in threads..

C'mon now, don't sell yourself short.  :icon_smile_wink:

You will never see me whining about destroyed Chargers due to DOH. that would be absurd.

Ghoste

Dino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 19, 2014, 08:57:33 PM

And I agree it would be a bit hard to improve on an actual jump...but the consequences.   eek

You mean that live event in 2003 where the GL nosed down & bounced end-over end?  Yeah he was fine.  The whole thing happened because the car's trunk wasn't weighted enough and the run-up to the ramp wasn't really smooth enough either.  The trunk lacked ballast because the crew was concerned about the weights coming flying out of the car in a wreck.  They weren't used to doing those stunts with spectators at close range.  They've since improved the retaining method but it's still an issue.  (A couple years later the ballast ripped itself out of the car in mid-air because the car was so rusty!)

The jumps actually hurt worst when the car "pancakes" on all four wheels.  Hitting front or rearend first spreads it out into two smaller impacts.  Going nose-down makes it easier for the driver to see where/how the car will land.  It also turns it into more of a horizontal collision for their bodies and less of a vertical one.

It makes more sense when you realize that the car's suspension does practically nothing to cushion it.  Just the impact of hitting the takeoff ramps at full speed is hard enough to bottom-out all four wheels and sometimes bend the unibody.  The landings . . . the wheels get slammed up into the chassis so hard the springs/shocks might as well not even be there.  

I learned this stuff just from hanging around talking to stunt guys & mechanics at "Dukes" live events a few years back.  Some of those guys are Hollywood veterans with decades of experience in TV & movies.  

Holy cow that was 11 years ago?  That was the one alright. I'm glad he made it out okay.

Thanks for the info Mike!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

CornDogsCharger

I was on the set yesterday and was able to watch almost a full days worth of behind the scenes action. I saw everything from the cars just sitting around waiting to be used, vehicles being loaded and unloaded, watching the vehicles prepped for filming. I watched Tom and John go over their scripts, going through a few dry-runs, watched some makeup (ha!)... Just a little bit of everything really. The only thing I didn't get to watch was the filming take place. The location we were at was a long 2 mile stretch of narrow dirt/gravel road and it was very wooded. You honestly couldn't go down there. All of the crew stayed behind too. There just wasn't enough room for anyone other that the cars involved in the scene, and the camera truck. I took MANY pictures while I was there but I had to sign a form stating that I would not publish any photos until after the commercial was released. I also can not discuss what the script was about either.

There are six GLs total. Two tv series cars which served as close up hero cars. There were two hard driven stunt cars, and there were two jump cars. There were 4 total Charger police cars. The GLs were done up in true tv series fashion, and yes, the flag is there!

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

jaak

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on February 24, 2014, 07:14:10 PM
I was on the set yesterday and was able to watch almost a full days worth of behind the scenes action. I saw everything from the cars just sitting around waiting to be used, vehicles being loaded and unloaded, watching the vehicles prepped for filming. I watched Tom and John go over their scripts, going through a few dry-runs, watched some makeup (ha!)... Just a little bit of everything really. The only thing I didn't get to watch was the filming take place. The location we were at was a long 2 mile stretch of narrow dirt/gravel road and it was very wooded. You honestly couldn't go down there. All of the crew stayed behind too. There just wasn't enough room for anyone other that the cars involved in the scene, and the camera truck. I took MANY pictures while I was there but I had to sign a form stating that I would not publish any photos until after the commercial was released. I also can not discuss what the script was about either.

There are six GLs total. Two tv series cars which served as close up hero cars. There were two hard driven stunt cars, and there were two jump cars. There were 4 total Charger police cars. The GLs were done up in true tv series fashion, and yes, the flag is there!

Justin
"CornDog"

Just curious, can you tell where the filming took place (city and state, not the specific location)?

Jason

JB400

Any idea when the commercial will come out? :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

marshallfry01

And do any of the chargers get jumped/totaled?... :rotz:  I know there are two jump cars, but I wasn't sure if it was just a ramp to ramp or if they get smashed.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: jaak on February 24, 2014, 09:36:55 PM

Just curious, can you tell where the filming took place (city and state, not the specific location)?

Jason

Jason, when I was there on Sunday, we were at two different locations north of Covington, LA, in the outskirts of a small rural town Folson, LA. I know they had a few different locations. I heard that New Orleans May be a location too.
Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on February 24, 2014, 11:20:46 PM
Any idea when the commercial will come out? :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

I never actually heard when the commercial is scheduled to air. Filming may be postponed due to crappy rainy weather. Time is money and there is more rain in the forecast.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: marshallfry01 on February 24, 2014, 11:23:28 PM
And do any of the chargers get jumped/totaled?... :rotz:  I know there are two jump cars, but I wasn't sure if it was just a ramp to ramp or if they get smashed.

They have two jump cars built. When I got there, one car had already been jumped 5 times and only suffered very minor damage. These are very soft jumped and being as muddy as it was , the car received more mud than damage from the landing. The second jump car was a bondo'd up, rough built car and it was never unloaded from the trailer... And not been used yet. I don't see any massive jumps in the plan, so all cars should survive just fine. If they planned a big jump, the cars would have a lot more roll cage than they do.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Chargen69

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 19, 2014, 08:57:33 PM

was that what happened?  I had heard that the car was such a piece of crap that the ballast went through the trunk floor when it hit the ramp

Mike DC

Quotewas that what happened?  I had heard that the car was such a piece of crap that the ballast went through the trunk floor when it hit the ramp  

That was a couple years later.  The GL was jumping over a delivery truck and the weights ended up smashing through the truck.  The car nosed over from the sudden loss of body weight over the rear springs.

The average observer tends to cringe & moan a lot more when they see a GL do a front-flip like that, but I don't.  On a jump that big the car really is dead no matter how it hits the ground.

GL#10

From Johns FB

That is tv series WGL76 , looks like they removed the series roll bar for the shoot .

Chargen69

seat belts?  never seen those before in a dukes show