News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Vipers

Started by JMF, February 13, 2014, 10:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Anyone ever owned a Dodge Viper ? Was just wondering on what people thought of them, the only modern cars i've really been used to is a Mustang GT, thanks

myk

Are you looking to buy one?  There are a few generations to speak of; which one are you looking at?

JMF

Yeah possibly, just doing a bit of research on the differences between the early ones and the later ones etc

472 R/T SE

Imo, the best model was the '96 GTS.  They're a whole different animal that's for sure.  The brake/clutch are super close together.  I'm sure other supercars are similar due to limited space.
But that was the only thing that bugged me.  I went to downshift & tapped the brakes on accident...more than once.   :-\

I always wanted one & as time went on the only way I could get into one that I could drive had to be the 4 door auto pick up SRT10.  2 more years & it's paid for & 3-5 months it goes in the garage next to my Charger & my wife's gonna buy whatever she wants.

When we bought it gas prices were high so they were happy to move it with us getting a fair deal.   :2thumbs:

Indygenerallee

I have had the chance to drive them but can't (not at 6'8!!) never could fit!!  :'( My favorite was the 97 GTS blue with white stripes.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

myk

Quote from: Indygenerallee on February 13, 2014, 11:55:07 AM
I have had the chance to drive them but can't (not at 6'8!!) never could fit!!  :'( My favorite was the 97 GTS blue with white stripes.

I think that's my favorite Viper of all time, as well.  I knew an affluent gentleman that had that car as his daily driver back in the day.  I'm told that the earlier Vipers, including that one, were very crude and prone to heat soak in the cabin because of the side pipes and the V10 sitting just inches in front of you.  I guess the Viper can be considered a "super" muscle car because of its supercar performance AND muscle car-like crudeness.  I hear that the newer ones have brought the Viper a long way and are considerably more refined...

Mytur Binsdirti

I bought a blue white GTS new in 1997. Whaddaya wanna know.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Indygenerallee on February 13, 2014, 11:55:07 AM
I have had the chance to drive them but can't (not at 6'8!!) never could fit!!  :'( My favorite was the 97 GTS blue with white stripes.

The blue with white stripes GTS coupe is my favorite too.

But...

I'd have to throw the seats away and sit on the floor.

I'm  6'4"...

John_Kunkel

I owned a red '97 GTS, kinda regret selling it.

There are seat lowering kits for the tall drivers, the lowest seat eliminates the ability to adjust the seat for/aft.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

myk

Miata, Mustang, Charger, Viper; honestly I don't see how anyone bigger than 5'7" is supposed to be comfortable in those cars.  I sit in them with a height of 5'4" and these cars feel "just right" for me...

surmanajaja

Quote from: myk on February 14, 2014, 08:52:59 AM
Miata, Mustang, Charger, Viper; honestly I don't see how anyone bigger than 5'7" is supposed to be comfortable in those cars.  I sit in them with a height of 5'4" and these cars feel "just right" for me...

I am 6´ and a 1965 mustang fits just right. a miata, no.. charger I would fit even if I was a lot more than  the 250 pounds that I am now..

vipers are cool cars, early ones had problems but you can get them real cheap now, with low miles..later ones are not interesting to me, I guess i prefer crude cars without comforts, my previous daily driver for 6 years didnt have electric windows or power steering..or power anything.i prefer them that way---

myk

Quote from: surmanajaja on February 14, 2014, 10:24:58 AM

I am 6´ and a 1965 mustang fits just right. a miata, no.. charger I would fit even if I was a lot more than  the 250 pounds that I am now..

vipers are cool cars, early ones had problems but you can get them real cheap now, with low miles..later ones are not interesting to me, I guess i prefer crude cars without comforts, my previous daily driver for 6 years didnt have electric windows or power steering..or power anything.i prefer them that way---

Interesting.  With the stock seats my head was very close to the headliner in the Charger.  Maybe my torso is longer than normal, I dunno...

Ghoste

I'm just under 6' and slim and I seem to fit all of those cars perfectly. :shruggy:

Indygenerallee

My head does not hit the headliner in my 69 and legroom is not bad. now on the Viper my legs hit the dash before my ass hit the seat I mean no way... maybe if I had a custom aluminum racing bucket seat bolted to the floor but I think that's probably the only way.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

NGC414

I have been looking at them also. I would only be interested in a GTS, I never liked the targa tops with the weird side windows. Prices seem very reasonable on the early ones, which is the body style I prefer over the newer vipers.

BB14404SPD

I am 6'5" and could not fit in a 2005 viper. I did the next big thing and bought the 2005 srt-10 truck. No issues there....

ws23rt

I haven't driven one but would like to.  The service manager at my local dealer told me about one of his customers that has one and was unhappy with the driving experience.  This guy bought a SRT Challenger for the comfort and driving fun it gave him :shruggy:

His Viper sits in the garage.

To me they are kinda like a lambo.  One wears the car like they wear a suit.  ( I'm talking about street driving)

Silver R/T

I have 95 Mustang and I'm comfortable in it, could fit a bit taller driver as well (I'm 5'8")
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1974dodgecharger

The vipers engine has always exceeded the areodynamics of any car.

ws23rt

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 14, 2014, 10:28:21 PM
The vipers engine has always exceeded the areodynamics of any car.

:scratchchin:

John_Kunkel

I'm six feet and fit in the Viper quite comfortably except for no place to put your left leg. The pedal assembly is adjustable so even people with long legs don't usually have problems there.

Over on the Viper forums there some pretty tall people that get by with the seat lowering kit, depends on if your tall in the torso or in the legs.

odcics2

At 6'1",  I fit fine.   Of course, I'd only consider the topless versions!!  :2thumbs:

Why would anyone get a hardtop??     :shruggy:     One of the reasons to get one is to be seen!

I still remember seeing my first one in the early 90s.  Seemed a mile wide, taking up the entire lane, as I caught up to it.
Always liked the first version's 3 spoke aluminum wheels, too.      :cheers:

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

myk

I just like the look of the hardtops better.  The 'verts remind me of the "topless Charger" concept; a cool idea for some, but in the end I never liked it...

John_Kunkel

Quote from: odcics2 on February 16, 2014, 01:25:21 PM
Why would anyone get a hardtop??     :shruggy:   

To keep the air from the A/C contained.

odcics2

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 17, 2014, 03:58:34 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on February 16, 2014, 01:25:21 PM
Why would anyone get a hardtop??     :shruggy:   

To keep the air from the A/C contained.

A/C ?   We don't need no stinkin' A/C !    :Twocents:   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?