News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SPEED Sensor Conversion ??

Started by 69ChargerGL01, February 09, 2014, 05:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69ChargerGL01

Hi all, I had my 69 charger gauges restored cause I just love the original look but I cant stand the Speedometer needle bouncing around, I put a new cable on it and it worked great for awhile but its back doing it again, So I was curious has anyone or can you even, convert to a speed sensor like new cars and a new gauge obviously. To get a good working speedometer??

Dino

Just replace it with a new one or the guts at least, mine is steady as a rock. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Plumcrazy

Try lubing the cable.  Pull the cable out of the housing from the speedometer end, then coat it with a thin grease as you put it back in.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

69ChargerGL01

alright, ill give it a try, so annoying lol

elacruze

Redline gauges converted mine to electronic. I have a Gear Vendors which came with a signal generator-I just double-tapped that for both the GV box and the speedo. Works great after 11k miles.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

myk

Quote from: Plumcrazy on February 09, 2014, 09:08:42 AM
Try lubing the cable.  Pull the cable out of the housing from the speedometer end, then coat it with a thin grease as you put it back in.

How can you guarantee that the 'trans end of the speedometer cable will go back in where it's supposed to?  Is it supposed to slip in between a set of gears or something? 

Plumcrazy

Quote from: myk on February 11, 2014, 01:55:08 AM
Quote from: Plumcrazy on February 09, 2014, 09:08:42 AM

How can you guarantee that the 'trans end of the speedometer cable will go back in where it's supposed to?  Is it supposed to slip in between a set of gears or something? 

It goes into the hole in the end of the speedometer gear, you turn the cable a little as you put it back in.  When you can't turn the cable anymore the cable has gone into the gear.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.