News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Joe Dirt

Started by DonC1, February 06, 2014, 01:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonC1

I have on loan to me from LA the molds that were used to produce the Joe Dirt Daytona...and possibly the upcoming movie Daytona ...nosecone only. Very well made molds a half inch thick in some places...if anybodys looking for parts....also have the fender scoops with correct inserts for studs etc...well let me know  ;D

rob-dirt

daytonalo

I might be interested in scoops . Are they as orig on underside ( smooth ) ? The orig scoops were i believe some sort of  plastic casting resin , not fiberglass .
Are you going to start laying up thse parts yourself ? As you know the mold is only good as the part it was cast off of , that said did you actual see a nose pulled from that 2 piece mold and see no issues ?
I ask becuase I have been in around Fiberglass mold making and laying up boats for years and know what it take to make nice stuff .

Larry 

1974dodgecharger

I need more money....

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

TONY

thats neat

now you just need to find some vega hatchbacks to complete the deal

billssuperbird

I have vega hatch on glass.

DonC1

Yes - underside of the fender scoops are smooth- it's a 2 piece mold. I have 30 years of ' glassing and steel fab experience and of two fab shops I have one dedicated to 'glasswork, never got into boats much but have built approx. 50 fiberglass car bodies, props and all sorts of sticky stuff. On the the JD car you may notice the wing horizontal bar sags  however the mold for that is absolutely straight.  I put steel or aluminum plate in the horizontal ' glass wing to counter sag (if it sags)  or can offer the steel horizontal wing with glass uprights (they are very stiff). Pics coming soon. ;D

daytonalo

I will take a set of scoops , I would assume your using Vinylester resin ? The only time we use the cheap stuff ( polyester ) is maybe on a outside deck .

DonC1

Guess that's a matter of opinion...I use polyester - works for me. I've never ever had a problem with it.  ;D

winged69

Depending on price I would be interested in 2 sets of daytona fender scoops. Let me know. Of course every mechanic leans over your originals and this breaks them. Thx Kelvin

daytonalo

Any of your better built  composite ( non-epoxy) aircraft , marine , auto body's only use vinylester resins mainly because of shrinkage . The problem that we ran into 20 years ago was with polyester resin the part would be pulled from mold and over time the part will dement ions would change AKA be tweaked a little . Also we would do a repair with polyester resin and then finish job and 3 months later the repair area was slightly visible again . Look into , slightly more expensive , lays up the same but light years apart if a top notch superior part is achieved. I had this discussion with a wing car nose manufacture and he definitely agreed . '

Vinyl Ester, or Vinylester, is a resin produced by the esterification of an epoxy resin with an unsaturated monocarboxylic acid. The reaction product is then dissolved in a reactive solvent, such as styrene, to a 35 - 45 percent content by weight.

It can be used as an alternative to polyester and epoxy materials in matrix or composite materials, where its characteristics, strengths, and bulk cost intermediate between polyester and epoxy. Vinyl ester has lower resin viscosity (approx 200 cps) than polyester (approx 500cps) and epoxy (approx 900cps).

In homebuilt airplanes, the Glasair and Glastar kit planes made extensive use of vinylester fiberglass-reinforced structures. It is a common resin in the marine industry due to its increased corrosion resistance and ability to withstand water absorption. Vinyl ester resin is extensively used to manufacture FRP tanks and vessels as per BS4994.

daytonalo

I will send you Vinylester  resin to make mine . You can still do EXACT same lay-up schedule , even the same ratio MEK

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

DonC1

Lol....
Ya I know what it is and I can get it locally or here-

http://www.uscomposites.com/prices.html
..have built many cars out of polyester resin...not necessarily deck resin and never had a problem, layups, repairs or otherwise...however always keeping an open mind.

Now what resin does Janek use?
Stinger and Show Cars.....

200MPH

Charger

BigBlockSam

QuoteNow what resin does Janek use?
Stinger and Show Cars..

polyester resin
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

500Jon

Hi Don,
If these are Peter's moulds then they are 'TOP DRAWER'.
I was going to use them for another 'Joe Dirt' car back in 2004.
But as always it never got started?
He used them for a Daytona replicar and the results were outstanding!!!

May get you to do me a set one day once I find a donor car!
Got a Vega glass and a plastic copy glass too waiting patiently lol.

Only one real Daytona left here in the UK, we need some plastic ones to bump up the numbers.
Charging Charlie 99 replicar for me!!!

500Jon
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

DonC1

Hey right on Jon,

you guessed it - they are Peter's molds...  ;D
We do have the plug mold too...

500Jon

Hi Don,

Glad to see Peter's moulds getting put to good use again!
I will see how time and money is after my 500 is done, then I would love to do a Daytona Replica.

Best wishes from England 500Jon

DonC1

For those of you that may be wondering...the Nose Cone molds I have here were pulled from Ken Funk's Hemi Daytona -
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,64112.0.html

'glassing up a new nose cone now...then after that..some metal shaping.  ;D

500Jon

Hi Don,

Sounds like you are having fun!

I found a 69 Charger in Holland at a rock bottom price around $5000.
Don't  see them at that price very often.
Sadly I missed out, no spare cash at the moment!
Hopefully another one will turn up in a year or two's time?

Maybe better to start with a 70 Charger?
Fenders and hood already there and a less desirable car???

Best wishes from England 500Jon

DonC1

That may be a good idea - staring with a 70'.

Made the ' glass Daytona cone and some curvature templates 1st before shaping 18 gauge steel.

r4daytona

Don, what do you want for a set of fender scoops?  Will the studs be molded in as well?  I am curious about the difference between the polyester and vinylester.

DonC1

r4 - best to PM me.
as far diff's between resins...there's pros and cons both sides. I can use either resin/materials or even epoxy and carbon fiber.