News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chrysler / Dodge Dealership Signage

Started by TPR, February 05, 2014, 07:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TPR

Hey Folks,
I am trying to find out more information about Chrysler/Dodge dealership signs used back in the day as I'm going to attempt to re-make one.
Please chime in if you can help me out and post some better pics if you have them.

Does anybody out there have an original sign? Do they ever show up for sale on ebay?

Where were they used? Obviously car dealerships [such as Mr Norms in the top left pic] but what about mechanics workshops or service centres?

How many variations were there including ones which featured the Plymouth logo?

Dimensions; were they square or rectangular? What was the width and height?
Were they always made up of three sections? Were these three sections all equal in height?

In the top right image, does this look like a reproduction? Sorry about the terrible picture.

Referring to the image on the bottom left, was there ever a version like this with a white Pentastar on blue up top, CHRYSLER black text on white in the middle, but DODGE white text on red at the bottom?
This is probably how I would create a version if I go ahead with it.

Mods, feel free to move, not sure where to post it.
Thanks in advance.
TPR

1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Aero426

Top right parts and service sign would be real.  

There are old signs that come up for sale from time to time.   I've seen them on Moparts in the collectibles section of the classifieds.     Ones that light up and are a displayable size for an enthusisat garage tend to be expensive.    Not that any of it is cheap, but the problem with the modular outdoor signs is their large size.    

The blue and red modular outdoor signs are mid-60's an onward.   Someone will know the exact date.   Red for Dodge and blue for Chrysler-Plymouth.

68X426

There is a lot of info at allpar.com.  Search for dealer info and you may find something.  A sample:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/mopar/

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/pentastar.html

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

Just as an aside but I wonder if dealers got any form of catalog from Highland Park with signage in it or if they just went to work one day and a sign shop was putting up new stuff ordered by Ma but you got to pay?

fy469rtse

I think you got it ghoste , corporate image and all that, you have to tow the line in certain ways ,

stripedelete

Quote from: Ghoste on February 05, 2014, 01:44:35 PM
Just as an aside but I wonder if dealers got any form of catalog from Highland Park with signage in it or if they just went to work one day and a sign shop was putting up new stuff ordered by Ma but you got to pay?

The later.  But, I "think" the sign is part of the franchise.  If a dealer sells franchise or closes down the new dealer or Chrysler get the sign.
This is why you won't find many for sale out there.   You will see some small parts service signs in the wild.  While recognizable as dealer signage, they will usually not be branded.

Ghoste

And thats how most franchises work with advertising.  Whether its signage or media or whatever the head office does and just sends you the bill.

charger Downunder

My brother got this sign made up, it is new and  he had it done to look old. The bloke that painted it lives down in the bush at the back of my place in a tent. He is gifted at drawing and painting.
[/quote]

TPR

Thanks for the links and info so far guys. Surprisingly, specific details about these signs are hard to find.
This is the design I think I will recreate using a laser cutter, acrylic and some LED's, although I still need to find out whether it is historically accurate.
Mytur, I was about to hit the 'Buy It Now' button on that one, but they unfortunately they won't ship to Australia.
Downunder, that sign looks very well done. I like the rustic look. I might need to get that blokes details at some stage.
TPR

www.tr440.com

tubedriver

Where my Charger was sold brand new...

Magnumcharger

Recently, I began to undertake a bit of an education on how to vacuum-form plastic signs, with the idea that I would make my own "dealership" style sign.
I amassed a number of photos of signs, and took pictures whenever I'd see a sign of the style I liked.

Last summer, I noticed a sign in a friend's garage. He had it leaning up against the wall, not being used. At first I thought that maybe I'd borrow it to use as a template. But then it occurred to me to make him an offer on it!

After a bit of negotiations, I got it! So maybe now I don't need to make one after all?
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

TPR

Nice detail in that photo tubedriver, thanks.
Magnum, that sign looks awesome, I bet it cost you a fair chunk. It looks in top condition.
I have a vacuum former at work, but unfortunately it is a much smaller scale unit than that. Food for thought though.
Cheers, guys.
TPR
www.tr440.com

Magnumcharger

Quote from: TPR on February 21, 2014, 01:39:42 AM
Nice detail in that photo tubedriver, thanks.
Magnum, that sign looks awesome, I bet it cost you a fair chunk. It looks in top condition.
I have a vacuum former at work, but unfortunately it is a much smaller scale unit than that. Food for thought though.
Cheers, guys.
TPR

It is in great shape! I'm considering building a housing for it to make it a lighted sign. I offered him $500, he said he'd take $750.
I wanted it, so I gave him what he wanted. Afterwards I found another sign, in blue (Plymouth) for $500, so my guesstimate of value was on the right track. Here's a link to an album full of dealership-type signs: https://www.facebook.com/robin.mcqueen.965/media_set?set=a.10151367475616314.1073741837.565066313&type=3&uploaded=50
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

UFO

Nice score magnumcharger.
They do show at swap meets once in a while.,that's where I got mine.
I do recall seeing a catalog with different sized signs available.

Alaskan_TA

Dealership signs, how the dealerships ordered them, etc. etc., multiple pages with illustrations at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/1972DealershipIDProgram.shtml

UFO

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on February 24, 2014, 04:17:40 PM
Dealership signs, how the dealerships ordered them, etc. etc., multiple pages with illustrations at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/1972DealershipIDProgram.shtml

Some cool stuff , Barry.
If only I could order some signs off that list.(of course still using 1972 prices)

TPR

Thankyou for the links Guys, this is really helping me out.
Cheers,
TPR
www.tr440.com