News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel line size

Started by fireguyfire, February 04, 2014, 03:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

Hey guys; I upgraded my fuel line size on my 68 383 from 5/16 to 3/8 from the tank to the new edelbrock performer fuel pump. I was assuming I would have to do the same from the pump to the edelbrock performer carb, which was going to be a major pain as the tight bends in the old 5/16 fuel line from the pump to the carb are almost impossible to make in 3/8 steel without kinking it.
Ran it by a local Mopar guru today when I was picking up some parts and he said to just get a size down adaptor for the discharge side of the carb (3/8 down to 5/16) and then use the old 5/16 steel line from the engine to the carb; he said that it would be unnoticable as far as performance, and then quoted me some specs from old stock engines that even some of the old heavy hitter engines just had 5/16 running from the pump to the carb.
Opinions gents before I head down the road of trying to figure out how to run 3/8 steel from the pump to the carb with all the tight bends?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

XH29N0G

Keep in mind when you read this that I have not done this for a car..., but I bend std wall 316 and 304 ss regularly to build lab equipment using a tube bender.

Are you using a tube bender for the 3/8?  The radius will be different than for thinner tubing, but it should not collapse or kink.  If they do, you may need to fill with sand or something else before bending.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dino

The pump to carb line is always 5/16 so it'll be fine.  I have a 3/8 line with 1/4 return but from the vapor separator up its 5/16. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.