News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 charger spitting through carb and backfire through exhaust

Started by texas charger 73, February 03, 2014, 01:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texas charger 73

I have a 73 charger with a 318. It keeps spitting through carburetor and backfiring through the exhaust. I pulled plugs. They are black. I can't check timing till I can get it started.  I put number 1 on TDC but one time I get number one on driver side of cap and second time I'll get it on the passenger side. Any tips please. This car ran beautifully when I sold it 13 years ago. Motor was freshly rebuilt. Car had 75000 original miles. Guy I sold it to pieces it out so I'm slowly trying to find parts to out it back together.
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
8.25 with 3:55
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic

John_Kunkel

Welcome to the board.

The #1 piston comes to TDC twice on each firing cycle, one time it's TDC on the compression cycle and next it's TDC on the exhaust cycle...when #1 is TDC on the compression stroke #6 is TDC on the exhaust stroke, that's why the rotor is opposite.

Easiest way to determine which one it is is to remove the #1 spark plug, place your thumb over the empty hole and slowly turn the crank until you feel air escaping...then watch the timing mark until it lines up at zero. This is TDC #1 on the compression stroke. All ignition timing is from TDC compression stroke.

Then make sure the distributor rotor is pointing to the #1 spark plug wire in the cap, then check the firing order starting at #1 and going CLOCKWISE 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ODZKing

A couple of reversed wires will do that. Make sure they are correct as posted.

texas charger 73

Thank you guys for the warm welcome. I got it running. He had it 180 degrees out. Now it runs like a beauty. 
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
8.25 with 3:55
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."