News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Packard term crimper question

Started by Dodgerdallas, February 01, 2014, 02:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgerdallas

Got this crimper from Del City and my terminals from Doug Winslow,I can get a proper fold in crimp on the smaller 20-18 ga terms but I cant for the life of me manage to do the same with the 16-14 ones-they allways end up together and sticking up(like praying hands),cant get em to fold in,Ive watched the American Wire vid on you tube and he goes thru it so easy and fast Im beginning to think I might need another crimper for the larger terminals.Can someone tell me what im doing wrong and what do the numbers on the tool relate to.Pics would be nice as I am stumped and the solution is probably simple.....
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

b5blue

Are you putting the tabs of the connector towards the part of the crimper that has the tiny peak?  :scratchchin:

Dodgerdallas

Dodgerdallas

Which slot with the 16-14 ga? that's the one I having problem with

Dodgerdallas

The tabs go down bottom out and don't turn back under

b5blue

b5blue

OK here, for wire:
c 14-16
d 18-20
e 22-24
for insulator:
a 14-18
b20-24
From "my doing" you may start with one size crimp then move to a smaller to get tighter crimp also.

Dodgerdallas

Ok Ill give it a try-thanks for the reply!

b5blue

Good luck!  :2thumbs: Ive soldered a few after a good crimp, cleaned with alcohol then crimped the insulator just for good measure. (But I'm good with a gun.)

Dodgerdallas

Lol,yeah I can't get the wire part to curl back w a good crimp, it may be I can't push it down far enough to complete the process-I may have to invest in some levered crimper$

b5blue

Dodgerdallas

Yeah I'm having to complete w the flat part of the crimper- just pisses me off to spend money and then can't master something that seems so simple...

b5blue

My NAPA's were 50-60 bucks but worked.

Dodgerdallas

Dodgerdallas

Heres the deal on the crimpers I have after Ive checked different sources and been thru 10 terminals-these are great for the smaller 22-24 gauge Packards,they fold over easy and quick using the C slot for wire and the A for the insulation,perfect.The larger males will not work with this particular tool,the tabs are too tall and thick and the "circles" on the tool are not large enough to guide the tabs back around and into the wire/insul,they simply bottom out,the only solution I could come up with on this tool is o start the large crimp and then use the flat area on the end to press down and finish the crimp which looks pretty good-certainly better than paying 95.00 dollars for a 'large' crimper from American Wire...again these are the ones I bought from Del City for around 30.00 total so someone else may know a tool that completes both crimps w/o braking the bank.