News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My '40

Started by Windsor, January 31, 2014, 11:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsor

I like the rake I got with going spring over when I put in the 8.75"

b5blue

Windsor

Thanks.
Still running the learning curve on the characteristics. Learned pretty quick to not give it ANY throttle when turning. It will do one of two things, push through and keep going straight. Or, at lower speeds, act like it is on rails and do a hard turn.

Aero426

Quote from: Windsor on May 27, 2014, 12:22:27 PM
Thanks.
Still running the learning curve on the characteristics. Learned pretty quick to not give it ANY throttle when turning. It will do one of two things, push through and keep going straight. Or, at lower speeds, act like it is on rails and do a hard turn.

Do you  have some alignment issues going on?   Looks like a lot of positive camber on the right front.   Could be the angle of the pic, but it doesn't look right.

cudaken

I have never been into the 40's and 50's bodies, but I do like yours!

Cuda Ken
I am back

Windsor

The camber is actually good. It is slightly toed out though. The angle of the camera along with the angle of the driveway is throwing it off in the picture. When my truck is parked beside where the car is, I catch myself checking for a flat because the driveway makes the truck sit funny. The driveway was put down with enough of an angle to take water from two lots while still keepin it out of the basement and garage (basement is partially cut into the hill).

nvrbdn

very cool project. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Windsor

Got my firecore dizzy put in and wired up. Still a bit of a miss, but it does seem better. Firecore coil should be in tomorrow. I decided to rip off a couple spots of bondo. One in particular made me laugh because I ended up using my belt sander to remove the 1/4" thick filler. Once it was all off, I couldnt figure out why they didn't fix it right. So, about half an hour with a hammer and dolly got it back to the rough shape and curve. When I can get a planishing hammer, I'll be able to get it smooth back and hopefully not have to use filler (if I do, I'll wait til I do the lead work and use lead).
One issue that is giving me a headache is the remote oil filter mount. The inlet fitting wont stop leaking.

Windsor

The Firecore setup did wonders. Got it out on the highway today. 50 to 80 was pretty quick, and it runs and drives nice at speed. I will have to get a remote thermostat since it didnt get above 140* in 45 miles of driving. With only a pair of auger style mufflers in each pipe, I was surprised with how quiet it was cruising at 2k. I was listening to my IPod the entire drive (just the iPod, no external speakers).
Time to put on some miles and keep hammering away at the issues it has.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Windsor

Got tired of seeing the cracked Bondo on the back fenders and front valance. Stripped the entire car to bare (exterior only for now), and got rid of all Bondo that was on the body. Now I can see exactly what needs metalwork done and what will need lead. Sprayed it with Rustoleum primer and paint to get the exposed metal sealed until I can get a air/water separator for the compressor. Last time I used it was to bead blast a metal table, it was pushing out so much water that I couldn't tell if it was blasting or trying to waterjet.
This picture was when I took a break, so the trunk was still off and the paint was only partially done. Im getting a air/water separator tomorrow if a guy buys my Fender mandolin, so I will probably end up sanding it a little bit to give the matte black I have in my cabinet a decent base to grab ahold of. If I do that, I will probably yank the fenders, hood, trunk, and grille sections off to get it completely prepped.

Side note: the stainless trim hasn't been removed since it was put on in '40 so the clips were all rusted solid. Had to break them all to get the trim off, I will be using bolt on style retainers to make it easier to remove them in the future if necessary.

Ghoste

Not trying to sound all that, but have you ever drained your compressor tank to let the water out?

Windsor

Yeah. Drain it every day. If I am using it a lot during the day, I'll drain it when I take a break.

Ghoste

Ok, I didn't want to be patronizing but when said that much water I just thought, well it is possible he doesn't know.

Windsor

No worries. I understand why you said it, there are a bunch of people out there that don't know you need to drain the tank. Heck, I've met guys that don't know how to oil their air tools. They didnt have the air/water separater I wanted at HF, so I will have to go to the other one that is an hour and a half in the other direction. Got the entire body rattle canned smoke grey, unfortunately the wind hasn't played nice so it's got a bunch of debris on the surface. But since a final paint job was not the plan, I will probably just let the paint cure a couple days then do a light sand to clean it up a bit and shoot some clear over top to seal it.
I'm just glad that all the bondo is gone and I can see the work I need to do. The dents on the roof will be the hardest. Ill have to get a stud welder/puller set. Even my heavy duty suction cup wouldn't make the metal budge. Or I will just wait til I decide to strip the interior and try my panel roller on it.

wingcar

Nice Project/Toy!  :2thumbs:   

(Thank you for keeping it Mopar and NOT dropping a small block Chevy into it....)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Windsor

Cross breeding should be a crime. Lol. It would have been a heck of a heck of a lot easier to go with a sbc, but where would the fun be in the process of fabbing stuff up to squeeze it in without changing the firewall or frame.

Windsor

Got all the side trim back on, so it looks better. Also got my Guode (knock off of Guide) traffic light viewer in the mail today. Love it. Now I can see the lights without having to break my neck. I'll put up pics tonight.
Been busy building stuff around the house, so the car isn't getting much else done. But, I got the carport and most of the grilling kitchen done. So that's a plus.

Windsor

And now the car as it sits.

Windsor

I am going to have to do a little bit of work on the front valance to straighten it out. Had a good 1/4" of bondo on it to hide the damage. Metal is still good, so it can be reworked.

JB400

Looks pretty good.  Have you given any thought as to what color you're going with?

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Windsor

Quote from: JB400 on August 07, 2014, 11:16:48 PM
Looks pretty good.  Have you given any thought as to what color you're going with?
Thanks. I've had a few ideas, but that is too far down the line. I am sure it will get a few different paint jobs before I do all the metal work then strip/dip the body and do the final paint. I think next I will do a matte white over matte black, or maybe do a classic hot rod paint job of matte black with yellow/orange/red flames.
One idea of the final is tan over a dark burgundy. 

Windsor

Cleaned and repainted my emblems today. Had to cut my smallest paint brush in half to get it small enough to not waste a lot of paint on the face, which I'd then have to scrape off (not hard, just time consuming).
I used model car enamel and brushes to paint them. Cheap and easy to clean off if I decide to change the color. The red really pops on the front. I also did some accent painting on the hood ornament.