News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My '40

Started by Windsor, January 31, 2014, 11:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsor

Yep, plan to. I knew there was a reason I got my SnapOn magnetic base dial indicator a few years ago. Lol
Got the TC unbolted from the flex plate. Turns out I was wrong, after unbolting it, 3 of the 4 ears were broken off. And I have to say, my car doesn't turn for **** when being pushed.
Do you guys have any recommendations as far as trans cradles go? I built one out of 2x4s and plywood. I did it to support the bell housing and rear mount directly on the wood and with a towel between the plywood and trans pan.

Windsor

Unfortunately, besides needing more surgeries, I'm still waiting on my disability. Once that comes through, I'll have to pull it all apart again. My motor has a nice rear main leak. Pretty bad that it took me 5 hours to get the car on jack stands, driveshaft removed and TC unbolted.

b5blue

That's nothing, I can spend five hours looking for something I had five hours ago. (Onward through the fog....)  :2thumbs:

Windsor

Some of the old vs new flex plate.

Windsor

Got the trans down and flex plate off. Still have to put it back together, but my back isn't agreeing with the idea. The cradle I made worked perfectly, kept it trans level and brought it down smoothly.

b5blue

Windsor

Anyone want a flex plate for wall art? Lol

Windsor

Took some Percocet, and went to work on it. Got everything done but adding trans fluid.
Crankshaft endplay is .009", I'm guessing it was just time for the flex plate to give up the ghost. Don't know how old it was, came with the motor.

b5blue

Windsor

After all this time, finally figured out what my seats came out of. A '95 Buick Riviera.

Windsor

Just rebuilt my front suspension and did a disc brake conversion.
Tomorrows plan is to set the jack stands under the front suspension and rear axle to account for ride height and measure for new wheels. Going to get chrome smoothies, 15x7 rear and 15x5 front.  With I had the room y'all have in the rear for wider wheels/tires, but that will have to wait for a new frame and tubbed trunk.

67440chrg

I enjoy watching your progress and love your car. Keep up the good work. Thank you for your service sir.

Windsor

Thanks. Having a slight issue with the wheels. Can't find one company that will do both front (15x5 w/ 3" BS) and back wheels (15x7 w/ 3.5" BS). US wheel can do the back but not the front, HRH will do the front but not the back. Don't want to use different manufacturers, so I'm still hunting.

Windsor

Just ordered a set of Wheel Vintiques. Smoothies 15x5 (3" BS) front, 15x7 (4" BS) rear, and a pair of billet 1/2" spacers to get the right clearance. They should be here Wednesday or Thursday. Ordered the brake hoses I need for the disc brakes, should be here on Tuesday. Then I can bleed the brakes and see how the discs do.

b5blue

Smoothie....perfect retro-cool for a 40!  :2thumbs:

Aero426

The smoothie wheels will give the car the right look.    :2thumbs:

Windsor

Got the brakes finished today. ****, the pass side brake line was a PITA. Had to cut, install a smaller fitting, and reflare the line. Only problem was, I did a very good job of securing the line along the frame and front crossmember.
Only thing I may do is add a 5lb RPV to the front since it is a little soft until the pedal travel/master cylinder gets to the rear brakes. Has the feel of power brakes without the booster hooked up.
I should have my trailer back together (to a usable extent) tomorrow and ready to load the car up on Thursday to take it to get the wheels/tires and alignment done.
Next plan is to start building a window track and get new door glass next month. After that, time to start saving for a new frame.

Windsor

New wheels and wheel spacers came in today. Had to clearance the front calipers a bit to fit.
And...

Replaced all the studs in the back. Went 1/2" longer since I will be using spacers on the back to get the clearance. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't get any 1/2-20 LH lug nuts locally.

Windsor

New wheels/tires. Fronts are quite a bit skinnier than the old ones, so now when I turn they don't run on the headers. WMS moved out 3/4" with the new brakes, so that helps too.

Windsor

Got her put back together. Granted it took me almost 3 hours to put the fenders back on, definately a day I wish I had some Percocet. Alignment went well, got everything where it should be and she drives good too. Anyways, here she is with mirrors in the middle of the tires.

FlatbackFanatic

Looks Great!!!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

Windsor

Thanks.
I definately like the smoothies more than the other wheels. Unfortunately, the rear studs need changed again. If I was using just plain conical lug nuts, they would be fine. With the bulge type lug nuts, the threads only go 3/4 through the nuts. I just ordered ARP 3" long studs, along with a billet remote oil filter mounts and fittings that I will have welded on so I can relocate my oil filter to the space where the original master cylinder was and get rid of that POS cast filter mount that has leaked since day 1.

b5blue

Perfect, looks Great!  :2thumbs:

nvrbdn

back on the road. that's awesome.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Windsor

Knocked out the studs I just put in and installed some ARP 3" long studs. Now the lug nuts are fully engaged on the studs. The ARP studs have splines that are .014 larger than the ones that were in there, so I pulled the axle and use a 3lb mallet to get them in. Unfortunately, in doing so, the mallet hit off center on the steel punch I was using and smacked my hand pretty good (which now had a silver dollar size swollen and pimple area). I am much happier with these studs, they even fit under the baby moons.
I went ahead and cleaned out the old grease and regreased the bearings since I had them out. Gotta love a pneumatic grease gun with a grease needle.
Tomorrow will be the highway test, and the last of the fittings and new remote filter mount (currently at the shop having the fittings welded on) will be in next week to be installed.