News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My '40

Started by Windsor, January 31, 2014, 11:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim Jhaixus

Dammit that is cool.

I'll be watching for the color job  :popcrn:
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

Windsor

Got tired of having to lean over to open/close my cowl vent, not to mention it hurt like hell with my screwed up back. So, I built a handle extension. Picked up some round stock and bent it to the shape I needed to clear my dash and fan control. Drilled and tapped both ends to the size of the stud on the original handle and put a bolt (with head cut off) in one side for the handle to screw onto. I think it turned out pretty good, I just need to get a new handle for it since the original is cracked. I will probably get a chrome one to make it look better.
Before paint.

Windsor

And after paint. Kinda hard to see with the black carpet and firewall pad. Looks a heck of a lot better in person than in the pictures.

JB400

Came out looking good.

b5blue

Are you adding A/C to the car?

Windsor

Eventually. For now, I am just going to use the wing windows and cowl vent. I don't even have the heater hooked up yet, need to figure out the best way to set it up.

Windsor

I've been hunting down a leak that was showing up on our asphalt driveway when I park it facing up (driveway goes from street level to basement level). With the rear main seal leaking, it was hard to pinpoint it. Finally, I was able to track it down to the speedo cable. Yanked the bullet out and the local engine/trans guy gave me a new seal. Hopefully that will take care of it since the shaft didnt appear to have any grooving on it.
Now, I just need to figure out how to get it to regulate temp without spending another $300 on a pair of remote thermostats, another Y fitting and adding another fitting to the radiator. On a 100* day, it got to 180 sitting in traffic but stayed 130-140 while driving. With cooler weather coming up, I definately got to get it to warm up or I won't even have the heater working. Lol

b5blue

You can just cover part of the radiator with a flap like truckers do?  :scratchchin: (old school) My Willys CJ 3A had a Southwind heater that ran off propane.

Windsor

Thought about that. Only problem I have is that I have to take the front of my car apart to get to the front of the radiator, and it would be a bugger to secure a cover over the grill.

Grim Jhaixus

How about sealing a large portion of the bottom of the engine bay? Like a splash guard.

Honest it sounds to me like your $300 reworking is the way to go.
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

Windsor

Spending the money to do it right will happen as a soon as the VA back pays me my disability. Until then, I don't want to spend the little money I have left. Lol

I think what I will do is use some of the foam that was in the bottom of my tool box. Cut out a circle for the fan, but cover up the rest. It should allow enough airflow to keep it from overheating but not enough to over cool it. Plus if it does get it too warm, it's easy to trim and I won't have to pull the entire front clip apart to get it in place since I can fit it through the radiator cowl.

Windsor

Went to the store and there were a few guys that were looking at my car when I pulled up.
One of the said "cool, I've never seen a duece coupe before". Of course my reply was "you still haven't, it's a 40".

b5blue

At least this winter you could cover the grille and use magnets to hold on.  :scratchchin:

Windsor

Not a bad idea. I was thinking about bolting it under the top bar on the radiator, but if I can find magnets strong enough, it would be easier to do that.

Windsor

Picked these up today. Going to build one good one (two if I can manage) from the 3 larger ones for my car and then sell everything else to recoup the cost. Only paid $40 for all of the lights.

b5blue

Wow! Good deal, perfect for the 40's vibe.  :2thumbs:

Windsor

Built one. Had to do a little work on the housing to get a couple dents out but it turned out good enough for a driver. Instead of mounting it low on the pillar, I'm going to mount it high. That way I won't have to reach around the steering wheel to get to it. It will also allow me to use it as a engine bay light if needed. I'm gonna see I anyone wants to buy everything else for parts.
Once the weather clears up, I'll go out and figure out where to drill holes in my car.
Unfortunately, the one non sealed lamp shattered as soon as I took the lens clamp off. Of course that was the one I wanted to use. Oh well.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Windsor on September 24, 2014, 08:17:44 PM
Built one. Had to do a little work on the housing to get a couple dents out but it turned out good enough for a driver. Instead of mounting it low on the pillar, I'm going to mount it high. That way I won't have to reach around the steering wheel to get to it. It will also allow me to use it as a engine bay light if needed. I'm gonna see I anyone wants to buy everything else for parts.
Once the weather clears up, I'll go out and figure out where to drill holes in my car.
Unfortunately, the one non sealed lamp shattered as soon as I took the lens clamp off. Of course that was the one I wanted to use. Oh well.

I'd center it right above the windshield.

On another note:

Unity Spotlight Co.

Is still in business and will make you a new spotlight, for any car.

I think they told me they have the patterns back to 1928.   :Twocents:

They may still have the lens or bulb you broke.

I've been watching this thread.

Your car is looking good.

But...

It sure reminds me of my '40 Plymouth that I let get away from me 30 years ago... :eek2:

I should have kept that one. :brickwall:

I might have to start looking for another one. :scratchchin:

Windsor

I had thought about that. If I was going to set it up permanently like an old cop car, I would. But, I prefer the high corner. I've been lookin at their site, going to contact them tomorrow to find out where the kit for my car (10) would mount the light.
As far as getting another car, I do love the look of the 60s and 70s but I love the character the older cars have. I just can't find the one piece of trim I am missing. That's right, 74 years old and only missing one piece of trim from the glovebox.

Windsor

Its been a little while. Been dealing with the VA for surgeries and still waiting for disability to start paying. Spending has been low on the 40, just been driving it as it is. These are a soon to be new addition. Inline thermostat housings. Right now I am running it old school with a cover on the radiator to get it warm. Takes a little while, but does heat up. These should make it better, and maybe even let me use the heater quicker.

Windsor

Started hearing a noise the other day. Without looking at anything, I knew it was trans/TC related. I didnt know for sure what it was until I fired it up this morning to pull it into the garage over the pit. As soon as it started, I heard that unmistakable ting followed by rattle of a broken flex plate. Shut it off, and used my truck to pull it up the hill then rolled it down into the garage.
Got in the pit and went straight to the flex plate. It's one of the X type flex plates. 2 ears are completely snapped off, and one is partially broken. So, looks like it is time to pull the transmission again.
What do you guys think of the B&M flex plates? I'm not racing, so I'm not worried about having it re-inspected every couple years, but want one that will last. http://m.ebay.com/itm/181457201375?nav=SEARCH

charger1972

That sucks . I used one of those b&m flex plates WAY back when on my first car , small block duster . The 360 that was in it was breaking them every couple of months . At the time didn't know what was going on . But was told later it was probably to much crankshaft end play . It never broke the b&m one .

Charger4404spd

Great project man, and kudos for keeping her all Mopar! Thanks for your service and hope your surgery goes good!

Windsor

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the flex plate. I'll probably start (slowly) working on it today. Gotta build a cradle for the trans to rest on so I don't have to try to take it out from under the car. This makes me glad that I build the trans crossmember as a bolt in, not a weld in.

b5blue

Check the crank for movement back/forward while your in there.  :2thumbs: