News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

High Beams

Started by HeavyFuel, January 29, 2014, 01:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Quote from: HeavyFuel on January 31, 2014, 12:08:09 PM
Quote from: myk on January 31, 2014, 07:39:39 AM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on January 30, 2014, 09:24:44 PM
Quote from: myk on January 30, 2014, 08:16:44 PM
Driving with your brights on is unnecessary.  Install fresh wiring, perform the relay 'mod and possibly a higher 'amp 'alt and you will never worry about inadequate, dim headlights again. 

I just got my car "done", not about to rip into it to do the relay mod.

The wiring is new, the alt is new and tested at 64 amps @ 2400 rpm, 93 amps at 7500 rpm (like my engine will ever hit THAT).

Just thought there might be an easy way to pick up a few candlepowers on the cheap......plus I thought it might look cool two have four lights burning up front instead of just two.

With all due respect, I don't understand.  If the car is "done" and it isn't to performing to your liking then the car isn't "done."  I'm assuming your car is built up to stock 'specs and if that's the case, there's nothing you can ever do with that car in its stock configuration that will allow you to have headlights that  equate to a modern, USABLE standard, without the relay 'mod or modernized electrics.  If you want your car to perform to the higher standards that we've become accustomed to with modern automobiles you will have to modify your car's systems to some degree.  You could drive around with your hi's, but there's a better way to see more on the road, IMO...

You make some good points.

Probably spring for the halogens, like Dino said, they are plug and play.   

No need for relays for the hals, correct?   Stock wiring should be enough to power 'em?

Correct, you can run them with the stock setup.  I drive my car at night, and more so early mornings to work, and as long as you're above idle the halogens are absolutely more than adequate on the dark country roads here. 

I would however suggest you do the relay mod.  It is very easy to do without hacking up your car and you should only need this one reason to do it: it takes the load off the switch in the dash.  When all is in good shape, there is no problem.  But just as with the ammeter, if the wire is brittle or the connection is less than stellar, you risk creating a fire.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

66FBCharger

Can someone provide a link to the relay upgrade?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Dino on January 31, 2014, 12:14:15 PM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on January 31, 2014, 12:08:09 PM
Quote from: myk on January 31, 2014, 07:39:39 AM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on January 30, 2014, 09:24:44 PM
Quote from: myk on January 30, 2014, 08:16:44 PM
Driving with your brights on is unnecessary.  Install fresh wiring, perform the relay 'mod and possibly a higher 'amp 'alt and you will never worry about inadequate, dim headlights again.  

I just got my car "done", not about to rip into it to do the relay mod.

The wiring is new, the alt is new and tested at 64 amps @ 2400 rpm, 93 amps at 7500 rpm (like my engine will ever hit THAT).

Just thought there might be an easy way to pick up a few candlepowers on the cheap......plus I thought it might look cool two have four lights burning up front instead of just two.

With all due respect, I don't understand.  If the car is "done" and it isn't to performing to your liking then the car isn't "done."  I'm assuming your car is built up to stock 'specs and if that's the case, there's nothing you can ever do with that car in its stock configuration that will allow you to have headlights that  equate to a modern, USABLE standard, without the relay 'mod or modernized electrics.  If you want your car to perform to the higher standards that we've become accustomed to with modern automobiles you will have to modify your car's systems to some degree.  You could drive around with your hi's, but there's a better way to see more on the road, IMO...

You make some good points.

Probably spring for the halogens, like Dino said, they are plug and play.  

No need for relays for the hals, correct?   Stock wiring should be enough to power 'em?

Correct, you can run them with the stock setup.  I drive my car at night, and more so early mornings to work, and as long as you're above idle the halogens are absolutely more than adequate on the dark country roads here.  

I would however suggest you do the relay mod.  It is very easy to do without hacking up your car and you should only need this one reason to do it: it takes the load off the switch in the dash.  When all is in good shape, there is no problem.  But just as with the ammeter, if the wire is brittle or the connection is less than stellar, you risk creating a fire.

Yeah, hate to burn 'er down.

I did the ammeter bypass, suppose the relays are next.  Another thing to add to the list....guess it's true, they're never really done.

cjw916

I just installed H4 halogen upgrade on my '68 Charger. (LEDs, too.)
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,104078.0/all.html

The buckets were identical for high & low beam? (see pic) I thought about running 4 low beams & 4 high beams, but once I got on the road, the H4 bulbs are considerably brighter than my previous halogens, so I abandoned that idea. Plus, I wanted to run low beams with the Halo effect on the high beam bulb, so I wanted that option.

The Halo H4 bulbs that I installed are at minimum 1.5x as bright as the halogen bulbs I replaced. In fact, if I leave my brights on for a long time, maybe 5 minutes, something in the wiring gets 'over-loaded' and the brights will go out, so I am going to do the headlight relay upgrade with a separate 30Amp lead as detailed in Charger70's world famous headlight relay upgrade:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,168.0.html

Only thing I noticed, was the link to waytekwire.co no longer links to a Bosch 75101, so I ordered the Bosch 75401 relays instead.

Also, waytekwire makes you order a minimum of some of the connectors, etc?
I had to order 10 of the relay mounting blocks: 75280, they were cheap, though. $6.79 for 10
I had to order 50 of the relay connectors: 31073, they were very cheap, too. $8.27 for 50
It let me order only 2 of the 5-pin relays. $13.70 for 2
Grand total $33.76 to ensure my 45 year old wiring does not burn my car down! LOL.

If anyone needs 2 mounting blocks or connectors, shoot me a PM, I'll send you a couple, I have extras. LOL.

Christopher