News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

High Beams

Started by HeavyFuel, January 29, 2014, 01:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Not these.

To help correct the dim road created by the woefully inadequate headlights on our cars, has anyone tried aiming the 'brights' down a little bit, and running with four lights on instead of just two?

I think that might be worth a try.    :scratchchin:

Ghoste

It seems like sound advice. :yesnod:

Cooter

Even aimed down, the high beams are brighter. I see a ticket and or many middle fingers if implemented...
seeing as how the headlights are hidden on these cars, I'd be looking into some brighter low beam lamps.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

twenty mike mike

The gendarmes will take a dim view of your plan.  :rotz:

I'll do this eventually, after I make the appropriate wiring modifications.

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002850811-Halogen-Conversion-Headlamp/dp/B001G7A9YS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1/190-7514767-0267933

bill440rt

I put a set of Hella's in my '68. Plug-n-play. Huge difference. Next best thing to the xenon conversion kits IMHO.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

XH29N0G

Quote from: bill440rt on January 29, 2014, 09:03:55 PM
I put a set of Hella's in my '68. Plug-n-play. Huge difference. Next best thing to the xenon conversion kits IMHO.  :yesnod:

Are these easily found?  I just did a quick search on the Hella web site and wasn't successful.  I could need a  :slap:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

A383Wing

I got Sylvainia or Wagner halogens in mine...drop in replacement and they even draw less amps then regular sealed beams

twenty mike mike

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 29, 2014, 09:18:41 PM

Are these easily found?  I just did a quick search on the Hella web site and wasn't successful.  I could need a  :slap:

http://www.hella.com/hella-us/951.html?rdeLocale=en

http://www.myhellalights.com/pdf/2012_HELLA_INC_Accessories_Catalog.pdf

Page 77, Conversion Headlamps. You'll want the H4 bulbs, Page 107. Don't touch the bulb glass with your fingers, since your skin oil will cause a hot spot when they're on and cause early failure.

Entering "Hella H4" into your favorite search engine will result in dozens of hits.

69white hat

I just bought a complete hid kit from blinding hid, comes with every piece you need. Should have a nice modern look and be bright going down the road.

XH29N0G

Quote from: twenty mike mike on January 29, 2014, 09:53:40 PM
Quote from: XH29N0G on January 29, 2014, 09:18:41 PM

http://www.hella.com/hella-us/951.html?rdeLocale=en

http://www.myhellalights.com/pdf/2012_HELLA_INC_Accessories_Catalog.pdf

Page 77, Conversion Headlamps. You'll want the H4 bulbs, Page 107. Don't touch the bulb glass with your fingers, since your skin oil will cause a hot spot when they're on and cause early failure.

Entering "Hella H4" into your favorite search engine will result in dozens of hits.

Thank you.  guess I did need a  :slap:  This helps.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

66FBCharger

Quote from: twenty mike mike on January 29, 2014, 08:43:51 PM
The gendarmes will take a dim view of your plan.  :rotz:

I'll do this eventually, after I make the appropriate wiring modifications.

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002850811-Halogen-Conversion-Headlamp/dp/B001G7A9YS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1/190-7514767-0267933

This sounds like a great mod. What wiring mods need to be made to use these headlights?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Dino

Dropped halogens in mine and doubled the output.  Probably the cheapest, quickest and most effective mod ever!  I can't wait to get it running again so I can see the relay mod at work.

I'm actually thinking of getting rid of the inner light and replacing them with the outer lights so I have 4 low and 4 high beams.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

twenty mike mike

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Cooter on January 29, 2014, 07:24:11 PM
Even aimed down, the high beams are brighter. I see a ticket and or many middle fingers if implemented...
seeing as how the headlights are hidden on these cars, I'd be looking into some brighter low beam lamps.

Yeah, I forgot about the brightness, was just thinking aim.    :rotz:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Dino on January 30, 2014, 08:21:23 AM
Dropped halogens in mine and doubled the output.  Probably the cheapest, quickest and most effective mod ever!  I can't wait to get it running again so I can see the relay mod at work.

I'm actually thinking of getting rid of the inner light and replacing them with the outer lights so I have 4 low and 4 high beams.

Um...I'm not trackin'.  :shruggy:

Additional wiring needed?

Dino

Quote from: HeavyFuel on January 30, 2014, 03:02:00 PM

Um...I'm not trackin'.  :shruggy:

Additional wiring needed?

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  That happens.   :icon_smile_big:

Instead of having 2 low/high beam headlights  and 2 high beam headlights, why not use 4 low/high beam headlights?  All 4 are on when the lights are on and all 4 go to high beam when you hit the foot switch.  All that would be needed is to add wires for the additional low beams and that's easy enough, even if you use the relay mod.

I don't see why that would not be a major improvement over the stock system, then again I don't see everything either.   :lol:

A383Wing

you will need to get the buckets that the lights mount to..you cannot put a low beam light into a high beam mounting pod

Dino

Quote from: A383Wing on January 30, 2014, 04:12:14 PM

you will need to get the buckets that the lights mount to..you cannot put a low beam light into a high beam mounting pod

Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea!   :2thumbs:

I'm pretty sure I have a full set in my spare grille and if not they're easy enough to find.

Would you happen to know if you can mount the low/high beam pod in the high beam pod's spot without mods?

A383Wing

I don't know about the second gen cars...I do know I could not mount the hi-lo pod in the spot where the hi pod is on a first gen Charger....mounting tabs were in different location, and it would have been real hard to try to change it because they mounted into the pot metal headlight housings.

Second Gen might be easier because of mounting to sheet metal

Dino

Quote from: A383Wing on January 30, 2014, 04:28:03 PM
I don't know about the second gen cars...I do know I could not mount the hi-lo pod in the spot where the hi pod is on a first gen Charger....mounting tabs were in different location, and it would have been real hard to try to change it because they mounted into the pot metal headlight housings.

Second Gen might be easier because of mounting to sheet metal

That's probably true.  I love customizing but at this point in my life even the small projects take me a long time.  A day is only so long and I need my beauty sleep...or coma...

myk

Driving with your brights on is unnecessary.  Install fresh wiring, perform the relay 'mod and possibly a higher 'amp 'alt and you will never worry about inadequate, dim headlights again. 

HeavyFuel

Quote from: myk on January 30, 2014, 08:16:44 PM
Driving with your brights on is unnecessary.  Install fresh wiring, perform the relay 'mod and possibly a higher 'amp 'alt and you will never worry about inadequate, dim headlights again.  

I just got my car "done", not about to rip into it to do the relay mod.

The wiring is new, the alt is new and tested at 64 amps @ 2400 rpm, 93 amps at 7500 rpm (like my engine will ever hit THAT).

Just thought there might be an easy way to pick up a few candlepowers on the cheap......plus I thought it might look cool two have four lights burning up front instead of just two.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: 69white hat on January 30, 2014, 01:21:07 AM
I just bought a complete hid kit from blinding hid, comes with every piece you need. Should have a nice modern look and be bright going down the road.

What you are going to have is a lot of light that is scattered all over the place. The sealed beam conversion housing will not focus the light output properly because they are designed for halogens.

HID bulbs emit light differently than halogen bulbs and the housings must be designed for them.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

myk

Quote from: HeavyFuel on January 30, 2014, 09:24:44 PM
Driving with your brights on is unnecessary.  Install fresh wiring, perform the relay 'mod and possibly a higher 'amp 'alt and you will never worry about inadequate, dim headlights again. 

The wiring is new, the alt is new and tested at 64 amps @ 2400 rpm, 93 amps at 7500 rpm (like my engine will ever hit THAT).

Just thought there might be an easy way to pick up a few candlepowers on the cheap......plus I thought it might look cool two have four lights burning up front instead of just two.

With all due respect, I don't understand.  If the car is "done" and it isn't to performing to your liking then the car isn't "done."  I'm assuming your car is built up to stock 'specs and if that's the case, there's nothing you can ever do with that car in its stock configuration that will allow you to have headlights that  equate to a modern, USABLE standard, without the relay 'mod or modernized electrics.  If you want your car to perform to the higher standards that we've become accustomed to with modern automobiles you will have to modify your car's systems to some degree.  You could drive around with your hi's, but there's a better way to see more on the road, IMO...

HeavyFuel

Quote from: myk on January 31, 2014, 07:39:39 AM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on January 30, 2014, 09:24:44 PM

With all due respect, I don't understand.  If the car is "done" and it isn't to performing to your liking then the car isn't "done."  I'm assuming your car is built up to stock 'specs and if that's the case, there's nothing you can ever do with that car in its stock configuration that will allow you to have headlights that  equate to a modern, USABLE standard, without the relay 'mod or modernized electrics.  If you want your car to perform to the higher standards that we've become accustomed to with modern automobiles you will have to modify your car's systems to some degree.  You could drive around with your hi's, but there's a better way to see more on the road, IMO...

You make some good points.

Probably spring for the halogens, like Dino said, they are plug and play.   

No need for relays for the hals, correct?   Stock wiring should be enough to power 'em?