News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Turn signals in hood

Started by pb24, March 08, 2006, 12:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pb24

I have a 68 charger that does not have the turn signals in the hood, I thought they all had them

Troy

Nope, although most did. You probably have two metal plates in there and no wiring. I've only had one 68 with the delete plates and all the rest had lights.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Crazy Larry

Quote from: Troy on March 08, 2006, 07:27:38 AM
Nope, although most did. You probably have two metal plates in there and no wiring. I've only had one 68 with the delete plates and all the rest had lights.

Troy

That's interesting 'cause I remember seeing some '68's at a car show and they had nothing at all. I thought they were aftermarket hoods or something. But I guess not.

Is there a visible mark were the delete plates are on the '68's with them or does it look just have a blank smooth space?

I ordered the set from Year One a few summers back and installed them myself. I smile everytime I turn now, especially at night.

RAWPWR

If I remember correctly, they had mounting hardware on the inside of the hood. So the cutouts were there. Either lens or blanks filler the openings.
68 R/T Charger 440<br />00 Dakota

Just 6T9 CHGR

Although  hard to see in this pic, these are the block offs (very hard to find by the way)
Flat pieces of metal with a threaded rod welded to the center.

A U-shaped bracket retains the plate to the hood with a nut screwed onto the rod
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Rolling_Thunder

someone should reproduce those...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

8WHEELER

Very hard to find, they come black. When I bought my wife's charger 24yrs ago the holes were open, so I thought
since it did not come with the light package it would not come with the signals, so I put in the block out plates. A
few years later I found out they were a different option on the fender tag and hers did come with the signals.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

4402tuff4u

That's strange...My 1968 came with the light package from the factory with lights mounted on the hood. I found one plate so far with the stud cut half way down in a box the seller I bought the Charger from threw in the car. It has a sort of used misc. nuts bolts, etc... I think I can fix it by welding a new stud with the mig. I'm wondering why he had it if that was the only Charger he had.  :scratchchin:?? It has a light blue paint on it so it's definetly not from my bronze Charger. They should'nt be that hard to reproduce out of steel plate. Cut the plate, drill hole for stud, weld stud and sand/polish. Hmmmmm, maybe I'll start making them! :icon_smile_big:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

8WHEELER

I think the problem is there is not enough demand or market for them yet to make it worth doing all of that work.
I agree, it would not be a real hard thing to make, but most people out there take out the plates and put in signals.
So I think only more of the hard core correct people would be interested, and I don't see a big market for that.

Out of all the chargers I have owned, all were hood turn signal cars.

Dan

pb24

So if it did not come with turn signals in the hood from the factory their are no wires stashed in the hoods to hook up after market lights.

8WHEELER

Correct, there will no wire in the hood if your car did not come with hood turn signals.
You will have a short 4-6in pigtail coming out of you harness that has nothing hooked to
it, But if your car has hood turn signals there will be a harness coming out of it like in this pic.

Dan

JimShine

The signals, atleast in 1968, were seperate rom the light package. The code 355 Liight Package gave you a glovebox light, Trunk light, ingnition switch light, and map light. Not hood mounted signals.

mikepmcs

Mine had the lights package option I just found out last night when I decoded the tag.  My hood has the blank off plates on it right now.  So, first, what's the best place to get the hood mounted turn signals assy's(although i have yet to find my plug from all the hacking that has been done under there).  Second, i'll give my blanks or trade for something to whomever wants them when I do have the new ones installed.

Third, does anyone have pictures or can they tell me where to get pictures of the turn signals as they appear under the hood, pics of the hood light placement(the regular under hood light that comes on when you lift the hood), and pics of the trunk light placement.  I just scored both on ebay for $20 bucks.  Sweet!
Thanks
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

JimShine

Buy the reproduction lamps from Charger Specialties (www.chargerspecialties.com). They seem expensive, but real old ones command decent dough too. The problem with the old ones is the wires get old, the lenses crack and turn milky. I wish I ponied up the difference and bought reproductions the first time.

I don't have an underhood light, so I can't help there.

Here is how the lights look from the inside (where you see the brace that mounts them). You get all that hardware in the package.

Again,. the hood lights were NOT included in the A01 light package. They are marked as L31 on the fender tag.

mikepmcs

Jim, thanks for the picture, that is all i needed for those, i'll just run the wires under the rib.  I'll check charger specialties, i have them on my favorites.  That might have to wait cause i just now shelled out 3 bills for 2 vectors.  I'm going with 15x8.5 on the back and this will get rid of the adapters that are on mine now.

I also have the L31 code on my tag, i meant to say i had seen that as well last night.  I see by what i wrote it looks like i didn't pay attention to your first post.

Thanks for the info, i will go with repops when i can afford them, i'm curious to know where my underhood turn light harness is, i don't recall seeing it yet.  project for tonight.
:icon_smile_big:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

JimShine

Cool! Look over by the master cylinder. It will be a T shaped connector with two slots. Here is mine (excuse the electrical tape. My pigtail went bad recently and I haven't had a chance to replace it yet)

mikepmcs

JIM, YOU'RE THE MAN!
I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!! CLEAN AS A WHISTLE TUCKED UNDER THE HARNESS!!!

:boogie: :boogie:

:cheers: ON ME!
Thanks

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 8WHEELER on March 09, 2006, 06:21:16 PM
I think the problem is there is not enough demand or market for them yet to make it worth doing all of that work.
I agree, it would not be a real hard thing to make, but most people out there take out the plates and put in signals.
So I think only more of the hard core correct people would be interested, and I don't see a big market for that.

Out of all the chargers I have owned, all were hood turn signal cars.

Dan

Bang.......blast from the past.

So....from what I'm gathering, my lovingly restored black block-out plates would be worth putting on my car, to have something a little different?   :scratchchin:         

The hood mounted signals are very cool, but that is something that can always be added later. :yesnod:

66FBCharger

Wow! My '69 R/T does not have the lighting pkg. or hood mounted turn signals. I thought the no turn signals would have been more common than the hood mounted turn signals.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Dino

Even if your car came with the block off plates, it's worth installing the lights.  I can't help but smile when I see those things light up.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.