News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New windshield, OEM or put the old one back in?

Started by Lord Warlock, January 23, 2014, 03:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

As was discussed in an earlier thread i made, the windshield has barely noticeable wiper scratches in it that don't seem to polish out.  I called Safelight today and they have a tinted windshield in stock and can come out and do the install...but only if I buy their windshield.  They can't or won't install the existing windshield.  Cost quoted was around 375.00 which is more than i expected for the install, but cheaper than ordering a replacement glass and having it shipped here then figuring out who to have it installed.  Realistically I'd rather have new glass that has no scratches, it isn't OEM but its supposed to be up to OEM specs as replacement glass. 

Does it matter to purists if the windshield glass is original or not?  I'm not a purist, and i'd rather be able to see when the sun hits the windshield, but I'd like to put the question out to the rest of you to get your opinions before i call safelight back to schedule the install next friday.  I'd be able to store the old glass on the shelf in the garage as a backup or to give with the car if it ever goes somewhere. 

Pricewise, i think the price quoted is fair with new glass, but when i look at the original tinted windshield the tinted area at the top is hardly noticeable when looking through from the inside, you can tell its there, but it isn't like the new car windshields and i wouldn't want it to look obvious that the front glass isn't stock looking. 

Should I call a few other shops in the area and find one to put the original glass in? or should i go ahead and have safelight come over and do it with their glass? 

Appreciate the quick response as I plan on calling them back tomorrow to schedule the appointment.  Once i make the call i'll be moving the original glass out of the way, respraying the top of the dash and dashpad since its easier to do that while the glass is out.  Already have the bluebird brown spray cans from SEM.  May end up replacing the dash pad later, but won't be freshening the dash paint once the glass goes back in.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

If the cratches are going to bother you then you should replace it.  Your enjoyment of the car is paramount.

b5blue

2 things...you know you can do it yourself right? No matter what: A-Get a new gasket B-Have the correct windshield sealant C- Have the FSM to show how it's done D- Don't do it until your ready to properly clean/repair/paint the channel E- While doing a new headliner F- Have new clips for trim ready and lastly I really doubt your hired tech from Safelight will have a clue what really needs to happen and why unless he's about 60 years old.  :scratchchin: A new one is a real good idea but I don't think it's time yet! I have a Safelight and it fit good but they didn't know HOW it needed to be done, 15 years of chasing leaks till I did it myself per FSM. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM FSM ON THIS!

ODZKing

Don't you have glass coverage? It is usually standard on most packages.

That stone that put the big chip in the windshild is only going to crack eventually if it hasn't already ... if you know what I'm saying!  :icon_smile_wink:

69bronzeT5

I tried finding a used one but had no luck. Ended up buying one I was told was for a 1968-1970 B-body (was supposed to be out of a 1968 GTX) but it didn't fit and now I'm stuck with a windshield I have no use for. People are guessing it's for a 4 door or convertible model but nobody can be 100% sure. My buddy owns a glass shop and gave me a smoking deal on a new one that he's going to install in the next few months.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

HeavyFuel

I considered using my original, but it had a few too many things wrong with it.

Got a Pilkington Classic....awesome piece.   It was around $330.   

Put it in myself, really glad I went new, it looks beautiful.

Lord Warlock

Do I know i can do it myself? yes, but with my luck first time i drove the car and hit the brakes it would slide out, bounce off the hood and shatter on the pavement in front of me.  Like exhaust work, front alignments, and building the lower end of a motor sometimes its better to leave it to those that do it for a living.  I tried to have a friend (the one who helped me take it out) install the headliner a month or so ago and he said i'd have to move the other car out of the garage first and make room for him to work, now he has room but he also now has a job and doesn't have the time to do the headliner on a moments notice like before.  I'll probably call him up this weekend and see what the timetable is and plan the install of the glass after the call.  The headliner is also something i'll pay him to do, he's good at it and been doing it for 20 years.

Price is within reason for a new glass, and at least I wouldn't have to worry about scratches anymore.  Many people would probably be happy with the glass i have, they aren't deep but you can tell where the wipers used to sweep.  I tried several polishing methods and none did anything, but i wasn't willing to warp the glass surface either going hardcore on it. 

Another reason to call a glass shop out is that i also need to have the glass pulled on another car to install a new gasket on the 91 stealth, have the gasket, and it would be simple because it works just like new cars do.  I'd get an estimate for that while they were here. 

The charger isn't registered or insured right now, so my auto insurance won't replace it for free like they will on our daily driver cars.  Homeowners insurance covers the charger while in storage so I'm ok as far as that goes, but can't do it the easy way like i would for the challenger that has a small chip in the glass.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

Lord Warlock

At this stage, any imperfection bothers me, doesn't have to be a points worthy restoration, but the chrome on the remote mirror is bumpy in spots, it'll get replaced, after painting the car it looked great but had a little orange peel, about the same as a new car would have, the whole car got wetsanded and buffed out just to have a smooth surface like it did with the factory job.  The stripe i put on looks fine for most but there are bumps under the tape on the decklid piece, the whole stripe will get removed and redone.  Had a small dent in the rear valence panel near the corner, the bumper would have covered it from view, i cut the piece out and will weld in a new piece.  The longer i work on it the more picky i get on particulars.  I doubt it will even be put in front of judges at a show for evaluation but will attend meet and greets often. 

I have a new headliner but it looks like a parchment color, the original was more tan, i'm tempted to reorder the headliner to get the factory color, although i did change the color of the upper door panels to match the dashpad. 

terrible one

Watch out on Safelite, they love to use cheap glass, they are likely going to bring you XYG brand, cheap Chinese glass, I have seen distortions in them so look closely before/ after the install. Just Google XYG glass. May be worth inquiring what brand they are bringing before committing :Twocents:

Lord Warlock

That is one of my concerns, I really really do not want to put anything made in China on the car if I can avoid it.  It seems everything i've gotten that was made there was substandard, and while i don't mind Canadian made, or even mexican made in a pinch, i'd prefer american made glass. 

Ghoste

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

terrible one

AMD glass is made in Taiwan.

I'm sure there are a handful of manufacturers still making glass in the U.S. but not sure about for our applications. Supposedly Pilkington (Pilkington Classics) but in my region the only Pilks were on the west coast and would cost $250 shipping to get here, I ended up using a PPG/ PGW, made in Mexico.  :scratchchin:

Ghoste

So how do the AMD ones compare for quality and accuracy?

b5blue

Quote from: terrible one on January 23, 2014, 09:43:56 PM
Watch out on Safelite, they love to use cheap glass, they are likely going to bring you XYG brand, cheap Chinese glass, I have seen distortions in them so look closely before/ after the install. Just Google XYG glass. May be worth inquiring what brand they are bringing before committing :Twocents:
19 years ago they had their own brand, that's what I got. Fit and quality were real good. They and I at that time did not understand that you must use 3M Automotive Bedding & Glazing Compound, Black Part # 08509 both inside the glass to gasket AND gasket to body areas or you may get leaks. I had a pair of pinch welds on the top of my frame just past the drivers side corner that the seam was bulged out from assembly. It made what was to be a flat seam have a "D" shape. I had to grind the steel and flatten/fill as it made a gap in the gasket and held the glass slightly off where it should be. That made a leak at the lower drivers corner that had plagued my car from day one with resulting rust and electrical issues in years past.
  Get every aspect of install perfect in condition and specs. per FSM and and you will be fine. My pal helped me hold the glass to install, he is the most non-mechanical guy I know, it was messy with the black goo but that stuff sticks/seals and remained flexible and sticky cleaning up with paint thinner was very easy after.  :2thumbs:   

terrible one

Quote from: Ghoste on January 25, 2014, 11:38:53 PM

I haven't handled any AMD windshields so I personally have no idea.

terrible one

Quote from: b5blue on January 26, 2014, 09:57:23 AM
Quote from: terrible one on January 23, 2014, 09:43:56 PM
19 years ago they had their own brand, that's what I got. Fit and quality were real good. They and I at that time did not understand that you must use 3M Automotive Bedding & Glazing Compound, Black Part # 08509 both inside the glass to gasket AND gasket to body areas or you may get leaks. I had a pair of pinch welds on the top of my frame just past the drivers side corner that the seam was bulged out from assembly. It made what was to be a flat seam have a "D" shape. I had to grind the steel and flatten/fill as it made a gap in the gasket and held the glass slightly off where it should be. That made a leak at the lower drivers corner that had plagued my car from day one with resulting rust and electrical issues in years past.
 Get every aspect of install perfect in condition and specs. per FSM and and you will be fine. My pal helped me hold the glass to install, he is the most non-mechanical guy I know, it was messy with the black goo but that stuff sticks/seals and remained flexible and sticky cleaning up with paint thinner was very easy after.  :2thumbs:  

They do still have their own brand, SGC, it is actually made here in the USA, Illinois if I'm not mistaken.  :2thumbs: Yes the 08509 is a must in my opinion and is what I used, by the book FSM style like you. That way, when it comes time to take the windshield out again it won't give you hell and the gasket will be re-usable. With the urethane there is no chance.

Brock Lee

I bought one last year and have yet to install it. It is tinted. I also have a used tinted one stored with it. It looks damn nice. The thickness looks right, which is my big reason for going with AMD in the first place. The tint is better than the rest, but in its new state I would not say it is 100% accurate. My stock glass is green and there is a darker green tint line up at the top. The AMD is green and has a bluish green tint line up at the top. They did make it similar in size, which is a big deal. The other brands make that tint line quite large and the Charger windshield is already very short.

Dino

Quote from: Brock Lee on January 27, 2014, 04:04:08 AM

I bought one last year and have yet to install it. It is tinted. I also have a used tinted one stored with it. It looks damn nice. The thickness looks right, which is my big reason for going with AMD in the first place. The tint is better than the rest, but in its new state I would not say it is 100% accurate. My stock glass is green and there is a darker green tint line up at the top. The AMD is green and has a bluish green tint line up at the top. They did make it similar in size, which is a big deal. The other brands make that tint line quite large and the Charger windshield is already very short.

My stock windshield is green with a blue border.  Pretty sure my previous chargers had a blue one as well.  Never knew they had them in green as well. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

If the Chinese one is better quality and more accurate dimensionally (same thing I suppose), I don't know that I'd hunt one made here.  I might, because I do support trying to keep jobs here but there is a limit.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Lord Warlock on January 25, 2014, 10:14:59 PM
That is one of my concerns, I really really do not want to put anything made in China on the car if I can avoid it.  It seems everything i've gotten that was made there was substandard, and while i don't mind Canadian made, or even mexican made in a pinch, i'd prefer american made glass. 

Canadians made about half the parts on these cars when they were new!  :yesnod:

Ghoste

You aren't kidding, in this part of Ontario across from Detroit there are still supplier plants standing that were abandoned years ago.  And some still around.
In Chatham we had a Motor Wheel plant, we had a Fram filter and fan plant, there was a plastics place nearby that did dash bezels, plating facilities, tool and die that served Big 3, a Rockwell plant making sway bars for Mopar, brake shoe manufacturers, Dana was here, Eaton Yale.  The list goes on and on.
Chrysler had a plant here too that I need to recheck the history on.  It was either the first Chrysler plant in Canada or the firt industrial plant in town?  I forget but it wasn't Chrysler long they sold it to one of the auto suppliers.

Skull-1

Quote from: Ghoste on January 25, 2014, 10:16:42 PM
Does anyone still make auto glass in the US?

"What does America make?   Hmmmmmmm....     Does diabetes count as a product?"   :smilielol:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)