News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I gotta build a Storage Garage !

Started by Challenger340, January 21, 2014, 03:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Only wimps wear Bowties !

ACUDANUT

hawkeye

What the hell are you waiting for???????   You worked hard all your life, now enjoy some of the money while you still can.  If you don't go first class, your children will.

JB400

Build you a pole barn instead of a fancy garage.  Heck of a lot cheaper if you don't get too crazy.

Troy

I'd pay $200 a month before I sold it. I'm in the position of looking to buy a house with enough space to hold my cars. I'm tempted to sell a few just to make life easier - but not ALL! I'm single though so I don't have to justify what I spend money on.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69rtse4spd

Wife never says a word, the pole barn idea could work if you tell her you can make money by storing cars for people in the winter.  :Twocents:.

twodko

Build yourself a decent garage/shop building. It doesn't have to be over the top crazy but make it nice....two car minimum. Well insulated, wired for 110/220, get water to it with a sink and heat the place. A small privy is golden at our age too. Attach a good compressor shed while you're at it. Install a wall of cabinets/benches along the back wall with air lines and lots of electrical outlets. A place for a couple people to sit awhile is a good idea as well.

Take the Mrs. on a nice vacation.

If this doesn't smooth the waters......build the garage anyway. You'll have a place to retreat and regroup.  :Twocents:

Gun ports justified as protecting your Charger investment.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

cavemanno1

I hate it when women do this!Why can't they just support the guy,he worked all his life and wants a dam garage,not a big deal!The property ascent of it the house will be more appealing to someone who is looking for a house with a nice garage!

If you worked for the money she shouldn't say what you can or can't do with it unless it's not a month gambling spree or trip to Thailand chasing girls!

Build it and make it nice and while at it buy an other charger!Why keep the money,can't take it with you!There is a certain point where the man wants to make sure his family is looked after but not doing something he wants because his woman or kids think it's foolish,that is wrong my friend!

twodko

Yeah, I forgot to remark on the increase in property value with a new detached garage. If you build this garage, your buddies will come. Muy importante when it comes time to renew your man card.

Another thought.......

With the addition of a comfy devan or chairs, stereo system, maybe a "scaled to the space" flat screen TV and small refrig, the wifal unit would feel welcome to hangout with you while you do stuff. Inclusion is a powerful incentive for womenfolk to buy into "The Plan". You have to compromise too.

If she feels liked she's part of it, and she should be, it will be good for the both of you.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

hemihead

I have worked on cars all my life . I have never owned a garage . Hell , around here you can't even rent one that they will let you work on your car in .
I'd kill to have a garage for once in my life . I'd say build what what you want for a change . You deserve something for yourself .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Lord Warlock

I can relate somewhat, for years I parked the charger in the main garage and my car next to it, the wife parked her car outside.  Over the years, she convinced me to refinance the house numerous times even though i didn't want to, i just wanted to pay it off.  Finally she started really ragging on how bad she needed to upgrade her kitchen, ours was outdated, not stylish at all, and needed a refurb, while i was in sync with her on this, I "negotiated" to allow a refinance again IF and only IF i could build a hobby garage out back.  Justification was two fold, the charger would have a place to be stored and she would finally be able to park inside the main garage, AND the addition of a 2 car structure in the backyard would increase the desirablility of our house over similarly styled houses in the neighborhood and increase our property values.  It did.  We are now the only house in the neighborhod with a 4 car garage storage, although several neighbors, once they realized what i did built external large sheds in their backyards as well.  (there are no code restrictions where i live, i could have built one to fill the entire backyard if i wanted.)  During the recent housing value crash, we suffered less than most did, the garage still makes the property value higher than most of the houses nearby.  I get about 20k extra value for the structure right now, when it was first built it added about an additional 45k to the value.  Ignore the wife's protest, if you plan on staying in the house through retirement, build what you want and deal with the angry wife later, she'll eventually get over it...or you can always upgrade her kitchen or the master bathroom.

Now, I have a two car garage out front attached to the house with both daily drivers parked in it, and a 2 car 24x27 foot garage in the backyard where i can store the charger and the stealth turbo (or other collected car).  The structure cost approximately 30k, the foundation was the biggest part of it at 7000 worth of concrete, it has the same outside panels that the house has and is painted to match externally, but it is built to a more modern hurricane code that the house doesn't conform to, if a cat 1 comes through, the garage will likely still be standing, the house will be long gone.

I strongly recommend adding 6 feet additional space on one side than the standard two car garage, that way you will have a sitting area and tool storage area.  If i could I would build an extension of 8 feet by 10 feet on one side for my man cave area.  I spend more time in that garage than i do in the house on weekends.  I also suspended two shelves starting at 5 feet up and 8 feet up to maximize floor space but provide a lot of storage above the cars roofs.  (rafters are at 11 feet to allow a lift should i ever decide to add one)

69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Challenger340 on January 21, 2014, 03:32:55 PM

Anybody else get "grief" about their Car, even as the primary wage earner ?

No, and I buy more stuff all the time. Life is too short for those kind of "rules" :Twocents:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Troy on January 21, 2014, 05:34:56 PM
I'd pay $200 a month before I sold it. I'm in the position of looking to buy a house with enough space to hold my cars. I'm tempted to sell a few just to make life easier - but not ALL! I'm single though so I don't have to justify what I spend money on.

Troy

I am only charging 50.00 a month for a friends 69 Charger's storage.

Daytona R/T SE

I've never "asked" the old lady for anything.

If I've got the money...

I buy it.

If there's a loan involved, and I want her name on it like the last new truck I bought...

I tell her:

"You're going to need to come with me to sign some papers."

Lord Warlock

Its always easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission.  If you ask permission there is a 50% chance they'll say no.  I haven't been the primary breadwinner now for almost 15 years, but i still make all the big decisions.  You just have to pick your battles.  A garage is a battle worth the trouble ...unless she leaves you and then takes the house from you in the divorce.  I will say having the garage and toys inside makes you alot more willing to work out problems in the relationship.  As much as I'd like to run off and escape dealing with teenage girls, I sit out in the garage, look at the charger and realize that in 9 months that teen will be gone and i'll still have my car and my garage.  You can always bribe her with a nice new car to park in the front garage.  I got my wife a nice car long before i drove one equally nice. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

don duick

I knocked up a temporary shed for $700 to cover my charger then I put a temporary extension on it for another $500 to cover my second charger then I put another temporary extension at the back of it to fit my parts. This pile of Sh#@ has now sat in my back yard for 17 years

gers1968rt

Make a list of the positives of having the garage and then sit down and talk with her and let her know that this is very important and just try to win her over. If she still says no, then do it again and again and again.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

bakerhillpins

I must be in the minority with this kind of thing. My wife and I don't need to ask each other for permission to buy anything, we get it if we want it. Period. Typically these are not big purchases and it's really not an issue budget wise. We do, however, always involve the other when we individually feel that it will have an impact on the family. Whether that be financial or otherwise. I stress that this discussion isn't a requirement, we just do it. I suppose it's just a situation of trust that the other is always considering the family's position in their decisions.

And I will say that I have never been actively denied any request but there are situations where I was asked to reconsider my position or at the worst postpone the purchase until some money has been put aside. Ok, That's not entirely true, she has flat out said no a few times but in each and every one of these situations she has come back to me within a day and said that she was sorry and that if I wanted to do this that she would support the process to make it happen.

Granted I make a fuss about not being able to bring home every car I drool over saying "that the wife would kick me out". Who hasn't? But in reality I know that bringing home these cars (or other toys/stuff) isn't in the best interest of our family at the moment and that's a decision I made.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 21, 2014, 11:34:39 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 21, 2014, 05:34:56 PM

Troy

I am only charging 50.00 a month for a friends 69 Charger's storage.
I typically pay less than $50 per car for storage too - but neither one of us lives where he does.

Troy

Challenger340

So another question.... what do you guys think about "outside" covered shelter for these old Cars ?
I could add a "Wing" off the side of the Shop ?
The Charger would be exposed to more of the seasonal Temperature & Humidity changes ??
but,
as long as no Sun beating on it in Summer, or Rain / Snow in Winter.... would it "Store" adequately ? or should it be Heated and Inside PERIOD ?
Any Opinions ?
Any done this over time ?

I guess I answered my own question... Heated, Inside BEST.... but outside & covered OK, and FAR better than selling ?
I mean....
I almost wish the Charger wasn't in such a well preserved original state ? I must sound like an idiot I know... but I wouldn't feel so bad leaving it outside if it was more of a beater ? The fawking thing deserves better !

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Troy

I don't think most people have heated garages. Some may have residual heat if it's attached to the house. Honestly, if you live in any kind of humidity you might be better off without heat! I leave the heat low in my garage unless I'm in there working. Temperature change causes moisture in the air to evaporate/condense. Naturally, it's coldest by the floor (ie bottoms of the cars) and, with cars and shelves in the way, there are some areas with little air movement where moisture can collect. I really have to be careful about any sort of bare metal in a corner near the ground. I recently noticed that my exhaust tubing and extra iron heads that I hid in the corner were covered with surface rust! Same with the suspension on one of the cars parked in the back corner. However, heat is nice if you ever plan to spend any time in there working. I'd suggest leaving it at a constant temperature. Heated floors are awesome if you're building from scratch!

Car covers in any area where they can be blown by the wind are evil! If you leave it outside you might as well leave it uncovered - but then the sun destroys all the rubber and vinyl. You'll never see a well preserver "survivor that wasn't stored inside. Even an unheated, unsealed barn.

Check with your insurance - if you have any sort of stated value classic car policy it may state that you have to store it in a locked building. Carports and lean-tos don't count!

Troy

ACUDANUT

These insurance companies never inspect where the car is stored. It would next to impossible to check.

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 22, 2014, 11:34:20 AM
These insurance companies never inspect where the car is stored. It would next to impossible to check.
Who cares if they check? If it gets stolen from your yard they can deny the claim based on the police report.

Troy

Old Moparz

What kinds of interests or hobbies does your wife have? Would she like a work room of her own for crafts, collections or sewing? What about a large potting shed or green house? Even a large storage area so she could free up a room in the house to turn into a space she'll use for a hobby. Incorporate some of her interests in the building & present it as a space for both of you. It would not be difficult to have one building for two completely different uses. Build a loft or a second floor or just a longer or wider building with a partition & separate entrance. Make a list of all the positive things you will both get out of the additional space & include the increase in value.

Marriage is a compromise & there should be no "asking permission" from either side to do something, or make a purchase. Bigger decisions & purchases should involve both parties, or there will be a permanent wedge driven between the both of you. What good is getting one thing you want if all other facets of your life are going to suck? Yeah, it'll be really cool to go ahead & build a big garage for your Charger, just make sure you enjoy sleeping on the sofa. You don't want to sell the Charger now, but when her divorce lawyer needs to get paid you'll be writing one of those desperate for sale ads.   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry