News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

B-body disk conversion question- brake hose routing?

Started by 69chargerrt, January 20, 2014, 02:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerrt

I've been working on converting the front drums on my '69 Charger to disk (or rather, back to disk as the car did have disk brakes at one time) using knuckles from a '77 Diplomat (with '80 Diplomat calipers).  On the driver's side, I've got everything assembled to the point where I can mock up the routing for the brake flexible line (someone recommended using a set for a '69 Camaro), but I wanted to ask- is there a specific way the hose has to be installed?   That is,  does the hose need to be oriented in such a way to minimize bending?  Included is a pic of how things currently look (the assembly is positioned as if the car was making a 'hard right' turn)

Thanks!
David

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

bill440rt

Originally the hoses were routed from the front, but yes as you are experiencing using later year parts the hoses are routed at the rear.
You just have to make SURE they do not bind or rub with the wheels turned lock to lock. Do this with the tires on also.
Also, test it with the jack stands under the control arms (suspension compressed), and under the frame rails (suspension extended).
You may have to loosen/reposition the hoses at the calipers slightly so nothing rubs.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69chargerrt

Thanks for the tips- I was planning on running the rotor/caliper/knuckle assembly in extreme left/right/up/down positions to make sure nothing would rub/hit - but I didn't think of doing it again with the tire in place, so I'll do it both ways before considering it done.     But my main concern was the brake hose as I wasn't sure what constituted 'too much flex' (and I mean normal flex in normal operation) - I did check out the swap how-to guide but it didn't outline any specific instances that needed to be looked out for, so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone had run across any caveats with their hose routing when they did the swap on their Chargers.

Again- thanks!
David

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

twenty mike mike

Ehrenberg didn't take the later rear mounted calipers into account when doing his brake article, so he's no help there.

Your flex line is considerably shorter than the one I'm using, which I had to put quite an S curve in to clear the tie rods, using the same checking method described. Do you have a brand and part number for your hoses?

69chargerrt

Quote from: twenty mike mike on January 20, 2014, 06:20:58 PM
Your flex line is considerably shorter than the one I'm using, which I had to put quite an S curve in to clear the tie rods, using the same checking method described. Do you have a brand and part number for your hoses?

Sorry it took a while to answer- I had to go dig up the package the brake hose came in, but it's some brand called 'Brakeware' and the part number is 88520.    What I did is asked for a set of front brake hoses for a '69 Camaro with disk brakes and that's what they came up with.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

twenty mike mike

Quote from: 69chargerrt on January 21, 2014, 06:36:26 PM
Quote from: twenty mike mike on January 20, 2014, 06:20:58 PM

Sorry it took a while to answer- I had to go dig up the package the brake hose came in, but it's some brand called 'Brakeware' and the part number is 88520.    What I did is asked for a set of front brake hoses for a '69 Camaro with disk brakes and that's what they came up with.

Thanks very much.  :cheers: