News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

$10,000

Started by Chargerfan77, January 10, 2014, 07:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

As others have stated, $10K will most likely net you a good project car.
Cheap Chargers are floating around out there, but you'll need to look HARD and be patient. Depends also what part of the country you're from.

BTW, my '69 cost $600, and this was around in 2004.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Getting a loan for a car that leaves lots of spare room in your wallet when you just look at it is in my opinion not the wise thing to do.  You do what you want, but you would not be the first nor the last to seriously regret doing something like that.  You will end up paying R/T money for a base charger project.

If you buy a project but do not have a good cash flow and lots of time, it'll likely never get finished and may end up being sold for pennies on the dollar.  This is also assuming you can do the vast majority of the work yourself.

Starting funds alone, $15K would get you much closer to a solid driver, although don't expect it to not have issues.  That said, they are, or can easily be made, into solid drivers.  The more you can initially invest the better of course, but you will find very nice cars in the $15K - $20K range.

If you really want a 2nd gen and you don't want to settle then I  suggest you go over your household budget, see where you can do better by eliminating some cost or selling some stuff that's been in storage for who knows how long.  

This is an expensive toy.  When you have that sucker running you better know where all the gas stations are as well!   :icon_smile_big:

2001 is long gone.  $150 Chargers do no longer exist.  That's what crappy fenders go for.  A few grand gets you a roller and I'm sorry, but if you want actual charger parts on that shell, you're looking at several tens of thousands.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Troy

What kind of loan? If you try going through any of the usual classic car Loan companies you cannot purchase a project. End of story. You'll also need 20% down and the interest rates are 2-3 times higher than a normal car loan. If you have a good relationship with your bank AND really good credit, you can get an unsecured loan or line of credit for that amount at a cheaper rate and they don't care what you buy. I bought a truck to haul my other junk and sold it to pay back the loan. It was sort of like renting a truck for 6 months for free...

The bad news is that you aren't going to get much in the way of a 2nd Gen Charger for $10k. Use Cooter's time machine to go back to 2001 and spend $10k and you'd get a reasonably nice drivable car. I bought and sold my first 68 for $1,000 (and my 70 Challenger for $300). Not happening today! I sold a 69 grill assembly for just under $2,000 and a headlight vacuum switch for $150 within the last few years. Any car you do get for $10k will likely take at least that much to make it look decent and drive right. More than double that if you want it to look great and perform. If you spend all you have and your loan takes the bulk of your spare cash then the car is going to sit because you can't afford to fix anything or make it better.

You're better option is to take out a classic car loan for $30k and buy a nice finished one that you don't have to work on. You'll probably get a car that's had $45k dumped into it and the seller is taking a loss. Of course, you still have to put gas in it, maintain it, and insure it. Trust me, fixing these things once you do get them on the road isn't always that much cheaper than building them in the first place! If you can't afford that, at least try to get up around the $15-18k range. The quality of the cars will be much better. I have several thousand pictures of my cars to show you exactly what you can get for under $10k. The reason there are thousands of pictures is because that's what you have to do to document a complete tear down and rebuild with lots of sheet metal replacement and worn out parts!

Honestly, if you can't set aside at least $2-3k *before* buying the car then it's doubtful that you'll be able to keep up with one once it's in your garage. Either that or plan on a very long-term project - which some guys do. You just have to be realistic in your expectations. All these cars can be fixed these days - but they can be (and often are) a HUGE drain on time and money.

And it's not just Charger parts. Anyone who has bought anything on a regular basis knows that a dollar just doesn't buy what it used to even a few years ago. My favorite (ok weakness), french fries for example! More seriously, I'm kicking myself for not staying in college to get an advanced degree because now it will cost me double. I have a pilot's license. When I got mine it cost a tad over $4,000 (including books, flight time, instructors, and tests). Try that today!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70 sublime

Pay the car you have now off and keep putting the same amount away  every month
If you can find a few more pennies to save and put away $500 a month you will get to a $ number in your bank account that makes looking at Chargers for sale more interesting
If you can not save up this way you will never be able to pay back a loan and still have the extra cash to work on the car

Every one seems to (at least I did many years ago) buy their first Charger only to learn they did not really know where all the places to inspect and end up with a car not of their dreams
This will happen if you are not carefull but it almost should so you will understand the value of a good car when it comes along

My first one was a 68 and ended up buying a second 68 (with a good frame) that I could put all the best parts on to make a car of it

I sold the leftovers for close to what I had in the first car and I still have a few bits around from my first Charger to this day :)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

F8-4life

I'll sell ya my 69 for 10k!
Needs work though!

68 CHARGER R/T

Daytona R/T SE

If I didn't already have my stash of old cars and parts, the tools, garage, and skills to do most of the work myself...

I wouldn't mess around with an old car at all anymore.

Go out and pick out something brand new, make your payments, keep it nice, maybe make a few performance upgrades...

Get it right away,  and not have to spend all your free time cutting out rust, choking on bondo dust, chasing parts, having your car held prisoner in various shops for years...

AND...

You get a factory warrantee if something breaks. :coolgleamA:

Ghoste

Restored or reassembled or whatever, if you covet the masochistic pride of rescuing a 150 dollar Charger today, then I say go for it.  As for me, I prefer to get as much car as I can possibly afford and if someone looks down on me for buying one already finished or not earning my chops or just doing the fun stuff so be it.  I will still sleep soundly at night, enjoy my car and be every single bit just as much of a Charger owner.

1974dodgecharger

Are they selling 2nd gen chargers same body and all the dealerships right now?  Last i heard they made em 4 doors?

Had to ask....new cars have no soul vs old cars.

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 11, 2014, 01:32:14 PM
If I didn't already have my stash of old cars and parts, the tools, garage, and skills to do most of the work myself...

Go out and pick out something brand new, make your payments, keep it nice, maybe make a few performance upgrades...

Get it right away,  and not have to spend all your free time cutting out rust, choking on bondo dust, chasing parts, having your car held prisoner in various shops for years...

AND...

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 11, 2014, 04:00:55 PM
Are they selling 2nd gen chargers same body and all the dealerships right now?  Last i heard they made em 4 doors?

[/quote]

Any car is just a machine.

There is no such thing as a "soul" in a car, old or new.

Old cars don't go to heaven or hell when they die, they get crushed and melted down into Toyotas or some other junk.

Restoring or rebuilding any old car is a long, expensive pain in the ass.

Any one who says otherwise has been watching too much "reality" TV.

The point is, If I were just getting into cars now, I wouldn't aggravate myself with a project,  and a lot of the $30,000 and up "Done" old cars are just bondo wagons that are going to need "re-restored", anyway.

The new car can be anything the OP chooses, doesn't have to say "Charger" on it.

There's lots of sporty new cars that outdo any old car in every respect, except possibly for looks.

I know I could have paid for a new Viper AND a new Challenger if I had just ratholed every penny I've spent on cars, parts, tools, the garage, trucks/trailer, going to shows/swapmeets etc. over the last 25+ years.

I'm getting older...

And maybe a littler wiser. :scratchchin:

nvrbdn

i can agree with you to an extent. i do love the ride and the stereo, air conditioning, comfort of the new vehicles and being older, i have also thought of the new up to date technology.
             but i like the fun of the car shows and driving an old car. so i chose a car that i could build myself without investing thousands of dollars. its a driver that i can not worry about. didnt put too much cash into it, and can show up at a show with an old car. its my hobby that takes my free time when i feel like it. for me, i just have to have an old car (or two) :yesnod: :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Ghoste

Soul is of course the wrong word but its the best one we can come up with to try and describe that intangible quality that a new car doesn't have.

71green go

AND...

I tend to agree.....I am thinking more and more everyday of selling my R/T and buying a really nice challenger SRT8......

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 71green go on January 11, 2014, 06:20:17 PM

Get it right away,  and not have to spend all your free time cutting out rust, choking on bondo dust, chasing parts, having your car held prisoner in various shops for years...

AND...

I tend to agree.....I am thinking more and more everyday of selling my R/T and buying a really nice challenger SRT8......

I'm really fighting the urge to sell off all of the old cars and parts and just get a new SRT8 Challenger, or a used Viper.  :scratchchin:

Getting a little older...

A little wiser...

And...just plain tired of fu*&ing with this shit.

Ghoste

Thats an undeniable part of it too.  We change even if we think we don`t.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Ghoste on January 11, 2014, 06:27:16 PM
Thats an undeniable part of it too.  We change even if we think we don`t.

:iagree:

1974dodgecharger

Lol, we view things differently.  The things these cars did back then, the aura of them, the social times etc vs now.

What has the new challenger done? Oh wait they cloned the Daytona that's right they put a wing back there and a nose in and that's aftermarket dodge won't make one, oh yeah that's right.  Let me see what has the challenger done to make its proving grounds oh wait it did hit 200mph didn't ,or did it? I don't know.....oh we'll let me think what has the new challenger done....I guess im old cause I can't think of anything can u?  

That's what soul is brother the ability to forge memories that are iconic or new, emotional, especially during its times of its era which the challenger has not done.

Your point of cars having no soul is equivalent to Jim's Hendrix not having soul.

Sorry but that's just wrong brother......

You can pick any car u want no doubt but that charger u have will always be desirable vs your new challenger 20 years from now.  I can pull up next to the light against a 6.4l hemi challenger and guarantee the charger will be looked vs the challenger but then again u will have air, cruise, fancy smooth ride vs ridiculous rumble lol.

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 11, 2014, 05:03:20 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 11, 2014, 04:00:55 PM
Are they selling 2nd gen chargers same body and all the dealerships right now?  Last i heard they made em 4 doors?

Any car is just a machine.

There is no such thing as a "soul" in a car, old or new.

Old cars don't go to heaven or hell when they die, they get crushed and melted down into Toyotas or some other junk.

Restoring or rebuilding any old car is a long, expensive pain in the ass.

Any one who says otherwise has been watching too much "reality" TV.

The point is, If I were just getting into cars now, I wouldn't aggravate myself with a project,  and a lot of the $30,000 and up "Done" old cars are just bondo wagons that are going to need "re-restored", anyway.

The new car can be anything the OP chooses, doesn't have to say "Charger" on it.

There's lots of sporty new cars that outdo any old car in every respect, except possibly for looks.

I know I could have paid for a new Viper AND a new Challenger if I had just ratholed every penny I've spent on cars, parts, tools, the garage, trucks/trailer, going to shows/swapmeets etc. over the last 25+ years.

I'm getting older...

And maybe a littler wiser. :scratchchin:

[/quote]

ws23rt

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 11, 2014, 06:24:25 PM
Quote from: 71green go on January 11, 2014, 06:20:17 PM

Get it right away,  and not have to spend all your free time cutting out rust, choking on bondo dust, chasing parts, having your car held prisoner in various shops for years...

AND...

I'm really fighting the urge to sell off all of the old cars and parts and just get a new SRT8 Challenger, or a used Viper.  :scratchchin:

Getting a little older...

A little wiser...

And...just plain tired of fu*&ing with this shit.

I'm right where you are. But I was able to buy myself an 09 challenger srt. It was a present to me for all my years of working.
My interest in selling my C500 is not because I want to sell it. It's because it's time to sell it.

I'm getting older too and don't want to drag every bit of my past with me to the end.  Is this called moving on?

If I had plenty of money it would make no difference. I'm not one of those that want's an indoor parking lot :2thumbs:

71green go

Amen Brother....my 52 year old ass is tired of wrenching on cars, they can say what they will but newer cars have allot to offer.......ah heated seats :) lol...please tell me a new SRT8 can be had with heated seats and I'm in ......I don't plan on winter driving it but they feel so good

Ghoste

ws23rt

Quote from: 71green go on January 11, 2014, 08:54:13 PM
Amen Brother....my 52 year old ass is tired of wrenching on cars, they can say what they will but newer cars have allot to offer.......ah heated seats :) lol...please tell me a new SRT8 can be had with heated seats and I'm in ......I don't plan on winter driving it but they feel so good

My SRT has heated seats but the one and only time I turned it on it was too much. No control--It was on or off--
Some day there will be a seat heater that can be turned up or down. I know it sounds space age to me too but I think it could be done.

Hmm--space age---wasn't that the sixties?

71green go

LOL...My buddies new Platinum Edition F150 has adjustable heated seats...you can control them where you want...and they are also Air conditioned!

F8-4life

It's getting harder to stay in the hobby.
Guys are scrounging cars other guys turned down 20 years ago.
Prices are insane and parts are rare.
At a certain point they are just cars..

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: F8-4life on January 11, 2014, 10:55:52 PM

It's even harder to start the hobby  :lol: ....... ugh  :rotz:

F8-4life

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on January 11, 2014, 11:21:00 PM
Quote from: F8-4life on January 11, 2014, 10:55:52 PM

It's even harder to start the hobby  :lol: ....... ugh  :rotz:

Yep so true.
Sadly a lot of us young guys never had much oppertunity, at least some older folks got a piece of the action when it was good.