News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What supply's oil ? To gear drives

Started by fy469rtse, January 09, 2014, 07:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fy469rtse

On my recent thread ! Bronze gear wear,  been researching and asking a lot of engine builders i know, one of the issues that was raised was that because I'm running gear drive the Chrysler oil slinger is discarded,
What supplys oil to gear drive where the tin slinger supplied oil to the chain
Was this really effective and if so what where does engine supply oil to cam gear and gear drive, or have I missed something and the slinger should gone back on some how,
Has anyone been inventive and tapped in to front oil gallery plugs located near cam gear with some sort of squirt nozzle
Nearly everyone I spoken to about this said that one of the issues was this area relied on splash from crankshaft, so it was stated dont run a wind age tray as it will make it worse ? Also the splash to lubricate cam from below ?
I know I'm getting paranoid now about this bronze gear issue, but is it worse because lack of supply to this area,
Lot of experienced engine guys on here so looking forward to your input guys  Ron and a few others who race ,

firefighter3931

The timing chain or gear drive is splash lubed from the crank. The slinger is/was designed to keep oil off the timing cover seal moreso than direct oil onto the chain & gears. I haven't run a slinger in the last several builds and no problems with lubrication or leaks so far.  ;)

Something else to look at ; vertical play in the distributor shaft. If the shaft can move up/down then the gear will also do the same....and that will impact on the bronze gear/cam wear pattern.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

fy469rtse

Thanks Ron, yes checked distributor shaft play also ,
Hoping that new gear I have put in seeds in quickly,