News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 maintenance and leak check

Started by Dino, January 02, 2014, 02:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

While the Charger is on tall stands, this is the time to do something about the trans.  It drips a tiny amount of oil every time I park it.  I guess not much gets out while driving as the oil level has barely changed.  That said, it's such a mess underneath that I assume at one point it was worse.  I need to clean it all up but even then I'm not sure I will be able to see the source of the leak(s).

What can I do maintenance wise without dropping the trans?  I hear the dipstick can be a source of a leak so is there a new seal I can buy?  The pan has no drain plug so I would like to add one or buy a new pan.  Which should I get if that's the way to go?  There's several filter and gasket kits, which is the best?  The trans cooler lines look decent but are wet.  I have had the radiator in and out so if it leaked there it sure doesn't any more.  I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to just get new lines to replace the originals?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

WHITE AND RED 69

Cooler lines, speedo pinion gear, pan, output shaft, and dipstick tube are the usual spots to leak that can be easily fixed. Although you have to pull the driveshaft to get to the output shaft seal.

For the cooler lines look into a braided set. Removing and installing the steel lines is a pain in the ass  :brickwall: with the motor in the car. I replaced mine in early 2013 with steel ones and was about to blow up the car from frustration. They still had a small leak so in October I swapped in the braided set and was a breeze to install. Well worth the extra cost in my opinion.

As for the trans pan look at Mancini racing. I just got a 2 quart extra capacity chrome pan with drain plug for Christmas for $70 bucks. Haven't installed it yet but it looks great and Mancini has never failed me yet on anything I have bought from them. If you don't want the extra capacity or chrome they have stock pans or plain stamped steel pans with the plug as well. 

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/tranpan.html

:cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Thanks!   :cheers:

It's strange that Mancini has a chrome or unpainted pan for the same price!  Might as well get the chrome one then.  Not bad for $26 and has a drain plug.  This is the stock capacity of course but for my daily driving I don't need the extra.  So I'll get that and the gasket and filter.  What braided lines did you get?  If they are an easy install then I might as well get the same ones! 

I'm going to look for those seals and see what else I might need.  Which oil is best for early spring to late fall driving?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

WHITE AND RED 69

Not a bad deal for $26 bucks.  :2thumbs:

The braided hose kit I got was from Bowler Transmission. It came with more than enough braided hose and all the AN coupler fittings except for the 2 on the radiator(Since they don't know if the radiator is stock, aftermarket, or if you have aftermarket coolers. I got 2 from summit for about $5 bucks). The fit was great. It comes as a one piece hose with the end fittings clamped on. Cut it to the length needed and attach the supplied fittings for the 2 other sides. I also added a 90 degree AN fitting to the passenger side of the radiator just for a cleaner fit. All in the kit and extra fittings ran me about $125. It could probably be done for less if you piece the kit together but I went with the kit just to save time. 

I thought I got mine for $100 but the site now says $130.  :shruggy:  It's double the price of stainless cooler lines but I would still gladly pay that rather than install another set of steel lines on a 440 with headers.   

http://bowlertransmissions.com/p/109/chrysler-727-and-904-braided-cooler-line-kit

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

2Luke2

I would look at the back where the rear band pin gets put in.