News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crazy Glue Stupid

Started by billschroeder5842, December 28, 2013, 06:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I'm an idiot... I smeared a bit of crazy glue on my dashboard when a did a small project.

Any idea on how remove the crazy glue without messing up my dash?

My wife is right; I am an idiot
Texas Proud!

Lighthorseman

I use acetone for fixing CA (Crazy Glue) mistakes when model railroading.  You might want to get a second opinion as to if if will eat dashboard paint.   :scratchchin:

polywideblock

go to your local model shop , you use super (crazy) glue to fit etched metal parts they make an "unzapper " that unsticks it and it doesn't eat plastic models  :Twocents:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

68X426

Maybe a dremel tool with the smallest grind wheel, sort of shave the spot away, then touch up paint?

An idiot would have his finger glued to the inside of his nose, so you aren't an idiot.  :icon_smile_cool:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Baldwinvette77

I use paint thinner for everything... i wound't recommend it though  :lol:

taxspeaker

We had a local doctor who got caught with another woman. When he passed out that night his wife glued his hand to his personal device. I understand when he woke up he had to go to the emergency room and nobody knew how to unglue the glue and they ended up turning him upside down and dipping his personal device in a warm bowl of acetone after sealing the exit point of the device! No I do not know what they sealed it with but the rumor in town is that when they called his wife and she told them to cut it off this was an alternative solution.

bull

No matter what you use you should expect to be doing a repaint.

74bluecharger440

No dremel tools ,that's just gonna make things worse

tan top

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on December 28, 2013, 06:09:58 PM
I'm an idiot... I smeared a bit of crazy glue on my dashboard when a did a small project.

Any idea on how remove the crazy glue without messing up my dash?

My wife is right; I am an idiot

have you got a picture of said area ,
so we have got a better idea of whats going on  , & try &  decide on the best plan of attack  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

billschroeder5842

The glue is on the vinyl on the very bottom of the dash pad. I put a new dash board on my '75 yesterday and before I put the new one in I made a small repair sticking he dash pad to a mounting area; it was beginning to curl up a bit. The repair worked, but a bit of the glue dripped while the pad what upside down and drying.

It is located on the far underside of the dash pad just above the glove box.

I could live with it but I KNOW it will drive me crazy!

Thanks for the ideas, but no dremel, fingers up my nose or glue on my privates.

Any other ideas?
Texas Proud!

Dino

If the scale model stuff doesn't work, try the acetone but all you want to do is place a drop on the glue and then dab it with a cloth to soak the liquefying glue.  A small cotton swab works well to place the acetone on the glue.  You need to take your time with this and go bit by bit but you should be able to get most removed without damaging the vinyl.  If it's a non died pad then you will be able to remove the last bits with a mix of acetone and water and maybe a small plastic or soft wood scraper to gently pry up the glue.  In the end all that is left will be a haze which a cloth with a very diluted acetone mix should remove, followed by a vinyl restore cleaner.

Try doing this quick or with a power tool, and you wish you had never touched the glue in the first place.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

polywideblock

kole32

Goo gone, works awesome, but I'm not sure what it'd to the paint, you could put it on a rag or paper towel and rub it and it woud eat through the glue I would think.

rt green

at work we use brake cleaner to remove grease and stuff that gets on interior parts. works very good for us, but I don't know about super glue. you could try it, but use caution.
third string oil changer

Lord Warlock

Goo gone won't eat through paint, or even mess with vinyl roof dye, thinner will take the color right off the vinyl top, so i wouldn't try that.  Nail polish remover is all thats necessary to remove it from fingers, but don't think i'd want to try it on the dash pad unless you have some new paint for the dash pad. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

billschroeder5842

Okay....mad scientist experiment time...

I pulled out the old dash, and smeared some crazy glue on it. I'll try a few options and report back.

No, I will not be touching my privates or putting my finger up my nose.
Texas Proud!

polywideblock

be careful if you just have to go while experimenting  ;D

polywideblock

so is the glue removed ,inquiring minds an all that    :icon_smile_big: