News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 lack of power

Started by kokxville, December 23, 2013, 10:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kokxville

Hi,my 440 does not perform the way it should.

I put in the ready to run distrubitor from firecore50 with the sparkplugwires and it works awesome.
It's a 4 speed and if i let go of the throttle,it bangs in the exhaust while driving.When i hit the acceleratorpedal,it should move much faster in my opinion.
Could this be a carb problem?
There's an eddy 650 on it now and it has a torker intake manifold.
This issue occured also with my old original distrubitor,so the ignition is fine.I also timed it like it should.

Any ideas?  :shruggy:

Thanks.
John
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

myk

You can have the trickest parts in the world, but if the engine itself is damaged or "sick" in some way, it will never run like it should. 

What's the deal with your motor?  How many miles on it?  How many miles since the rebuild?  Do you know its internal specs/parts/build?  I'll say for starters that the 650 'carb is a little too small for the application.  When was the last tune up?  How are the plugs, wires, coil, fuel filter, etc? 

If the motor's been maintained, tuned up recently, where's your timing set at?  What jetting is your 'carb at? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

HPP

If its banging out the exhaust and sluggish to respond to throttle input, then there could be issues with ignition timing - whether a slipped inertia ring on the balancer or the gear drive being off a tooth, cam phasing, or carb mixture.

Is this a recent development, always been there, what is some background info?

kokxville

Well,
Long story short,
i bought the car from moparsal,he's a flipper here on the forum and sells parts for chargers.
He told me the engine has just 500 miles on it since rebuild,but i don't know if that's true.  :shruggy:

So unfortunatly no info on the build whatsoever.
I gave it a good overhaul with oil,filters and sparkplugs.The ignition timing is set at 16 * BTDC,wich should be fine according to Ron ( Firefighter 3931 )
I hope it's a carb problem. ::)
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Dino

A 650 would only work will when set up perfectly and then still it's not ideal for that engine and definitely not for that manifold.  Get a stock-ish manifold with a 750 carb and try again.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

firefighter3931

Hey Johnny  :wave:

The "original" Torker is an excellent manifold. The carb is a bit undersized and it would work nicely with a 750DP carb, especially with that 4 spd  :2thumbs:

Make sure your float level is set at the proper height. I wouldn't hurt to check the fuel pressure just to see what it's doing at wide open throttle.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Cooter

I'd be doin a compression check....sounds like a low comp motor to me.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

kokxville

Thanks for the fast replies.

I was already planning on doing a compression test,Cooter  :yesnod:

Ron,i'm going to order the proform 750dp carb  :icon_smile_big:

Thanks.
:cheers:
John

4cruzin

I think for a stock 440 . . . . 750 is ok.  If it is built at all, I would get the 850 proform  . . . I have a pretty much stock 440 in my convertible and I think it does well with the 850.  I have a 950 on my stroker motor and that also does pretty well!   :2thumbs:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Challenger340

Quote from: kokxville on December 23, 2013, 03:10:04 PM

Thanks.
John

BINGO ??
Low pop smogger 440 Engines typically are not great performers ? just sayin....
Only wimps wear Bowties !

1974dodgecharger

was watching that epsiode of roadkill how they got the 440 from the pacer RV in the charger and frieburger was saying they have the weakest 440 in the charger  how it produces only 215HP stock in the late build 440s.  It did sound like crap too.....

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 23, 2013, 06:30:38 PM
Quote from: kokxville on December 23, 2013, 03:10:04 PM

Thanks.
John

BINGO ??
Low pop smogger 440 Engines typically are not great performers ? just sayin....

Cooter

Hadda guy try and sell me a 'Magnum' 440 out of a MH while I was porting a set of heads for a buddies SBC.
I said sure, how much and what year MH?

I had almost busted out laughing when he said...."its definitely a Magnum cause they put them in the MH. I'll take $3500.00 for it".
I politely declined.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Cooter on December 23, 2013, 09:41:54 PM
Hadda guy try and sell me a 'Magnum' 440 out of a MH while I was porting a set of heads for a buddies SBC.
I said sure, how much and what year MH?

I had almost busted out laughing when he said...."its definitely a Magnum cause they put them in the MH. I'll take $3500.00 for it".
I politely declined.

lmao...that made my day  ;D

Challenger340

MH's had factory "Magnum" Engines ?? LOL ! yeah OK.

One of these days....
I am going to go get one of those dashboard cameras..... and go whoop on my old bone "stock" 1969 375hp 440 Magnum... yep a REAL one, "untouched" since new... just for posterity, and post up the ride.
Now,
it is not a 10 second Drag Car, but you can certainly "tell".... that it ain't no slouch either !
I had long forgotten just how much FUN factor they had....just wonderful "Torque" pull in the big Car !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

HPP

Quote from: Dino on December 23, 2013, 12:02:03 PM
A 650 would only work will when set up perfectly and then still it's not ideal for that engine and definitely not for that manifold.  Get a stock-ish manifold with a 750 carb and try again.

I disagree. A 650 can be made to work just fine on a 440. Granted, it will not have the top end horsepower that a 750 would, but off idle to 4000 rpm it would work.

I've seen 500 cfm 2 bbls work on big blocks. They just don't flow enough air to be worth a crap once the revs start to climb.

Quote from: kokxville on December 23, 2013, 11:23:06 AM
So unfortunatly no info on the build whatsoever.
I gave it a good overhaul with oil,filters and sparkplugs.The ignition timing is set at 16 * BTDC,wich should be fine according to Ron ( Firefighter 3931 )
I hope it's a carb problem. ::)

I don't doubt you set the timing according to what you could see on the balancer and the specs you were told. However, there are potential issues within that assumption that all your components are correct. If they are off then that could lead to things being off even though you think they are right.  I'd definetly check compression and maybe try dialing in more advance to see what that does for you. Experimenting with timing costs you nothing but time,
unlike buying an entirely new carb and intake

cudaken

I agree with HHP and I bet the problem is in the timing.

Set the timing by vacuum, use the vacuum port off the back of the manifold and advances till you have max vacuum and take it for a test drive.

Have you checked to make sure the throttle blades are full open when floored? :D Do this with the engine not running!:lol: Have someone floor it and look to make sure they are fully open. With after market parts, sometimes the cable bell has to be moved around to get WOT.

When you say Banging in the exhaust, does it sound like it is back firing and missing? Or does it sound like something is just rattling?

Torker and Torker II are fine intakes.

Cuda Ken

I am back

kokxville

Thanks for the replies guys  :2thumbs:
I'll go check all these things and get back as soon as i have more information.

I also make shure that i check the throttlle blades with my engine not running,Cudaken. :lol: :icon_smile_blackeye:

Have a great holiday. :cheers:

John

Bob T

Just to jump in with a related Q guys, what should the fuel pressure be at w.o.t. ?? Or even at idle, I'm suspecting my fuel pump rod is worn and not making enough pressure/delivery. Cheers.

Old Dog, Old Tricks.

kokxville

Quote from: Bob T on December 25, 2013, 04:53:05 PM
Just to jump in with a related Q guys, what should the fuel pressure be at w.o.t. ?? Or even at idle, I'm suspecting my fuel pump rod is worn and not making enough pressure/delivery. Cheers.

Hi Bob,

i'm going to check that too. :2thumbs:
Thanks

firefighter3931

I like to see 7psi at all times.....if the pressure is dropping at WOT then you have a fuel delivery issue.

Even if the bowls are full a drop in pressure will hurt performance.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bob T

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 26, 2013, 07:27:04 AM

I like to see 7psi at all times.....if the pressure is dropping at WOT then you have a fuel delivery issue.

Even if the bowls are full a drop in pressure will hurt performance.  :yesnod:

Ron

Thanks Ron, always appreciate the advice , have another virtual beer on me  :cheers:  :2thumbs:
I have a dyno booked for next Tuesday on a guys private setup, so I'm just trying to get everything sorted beforehand.

Koksville, have a look on the search function tab for fuel pump rods on here and you will find plenty of info for length and "how to change"   :2thumbs:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

cudaken

One thing that none of us as asked John is why and when does he feel the 440 lacks power? :scratchchin:

Cuda Ken

I am back

kokxville

Quote from: cudaken on December 26, 2013, 10:38:36 PM

One thing that none of us as asked John is why and when does he feel the 440 lacks power? :scratchchin:

Cuda Ken

Hi Ken,

It's from  2000 to 5500 rpm when accellerate.  :angel:

cudaken

I am back

HPP

Has it always felt this way or is a recent development?