News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 heads on 318

Started by 87RamCharger, December 19, 2013, 12:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

87RamCharger

Okay i know there are many different opinions and facts regarding the matter of putting 360 heads on a 318.

My plans were to get a set of junkyard heads $120
And have them cleaned up and valve guides replaced.
And have them machined .0040

The machinist i have in mind has done this stuff all his life an i wouldn trust anyone else.

I also heard you may have to possibly machine the intake to fit.

I was gonna find the 65cc head i think? Casting numbers would be handy.
Also what years would be best? I'm guessing 87-89?

My motor is an 88 318 in an 87 so its carb.
Has a roller towing cam installed by previous owner so i have no clue what the specs are. Brand is web camshafts. Has 4bbl quadrajet and 360 manifold off of 88? Q-jet is tuned very well an i can always go richer. No bog at all and runs perfect.

The reason i want to go with 360 heads is because i'm a best bang for your buck kinda guy. Just to revalve the 318 heads is $300
Pocket porting and port match to 360 manifold will run around another $300
I want cast iron heads not alunimum.

And i know your main question is what i want out of it. I want decent power but still have some torque to pull around 5k
I know for 600 i can get some pretty sweet heads but i just want sumin custom.

I heard after maching the heads the pushrods will be too long. Should i use adjustable rocker arms? Or custom pushrods?
A link to either one would be helpful. Or will hydralic lifters compensate?

I always run 93 octane so a lil more compression won't hurt if you have a different approach. Open to any and all suggestions thanks.

Troy

Why not jump up to Magnum heads? Way better than any factory LA 360 head.
http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/2magnumlaheadshowtoadaptmagnumheadsto.php
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/smallblock/7.html

Or maybe not. I remember these things used to be dirt cheap (ie less than $100 per pair) but I just browsed some prices and they went up a bit. Maybe now's a good time to sell the ones that came off mine?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

87RamCharger

Magnum heads would be sweet. But i'd need a custom intake manifold, and the magnum heads have smaller chambers. At least i'm "told"

If that were the case my motor would have too much compression for 93 pump gas.

It already has flat top pistons. Factory ratio is 9 to 1
So its probably at 9.5
So with magnum heads i would have 10-10.5 to 1?

Probably would get pinging even on 93

Cooter

With a 3.910 bore, valve shrouding might cancel out any real performance gain from larger valves...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"