News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What am I paying for?

Started by Dreamcar, December 18, 2013, 10:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

I realize that when dealing with exterior replacement panels (i.e. fenders, quarters, etc), you want the best fit and finish possible since it will be visible and you want all marker light holes and such to be exactly at the right locations. I often heard that the cheaper panels are also thinner steel than the more expensive ones. Basically, you get what you pay for.

However, my question has to do with floorpans. I contacted Classic 2 Current, AMD, Goodmark, and Sherman. All but Serman wrote back in a few hours. Here's what came back in their emails to me about the gauge of the steel used in their panels:

Classic 2 Current: 19 gauge (They also have the exact same part number as Sherman...maybe they're the same??) :shruggy:
AMD: 19 gauge
Goodmark: 20-22 (.9 to .8 mm)

I've bought AMD stuff before (fenders and patch panels), and I love it  :yesnod:. Very good quality, but you pay for it which I don't mind for a high quality product. However, given that it's the floorpan and the gauges are listed above, what's the advantage of paying more in this case? Classic 2 Current floorpans are $290, and AMD are $499.

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Ghoste

Doesn't AMD advertise their floorpans as being thicker and heavier than the competition??

JB400

Is the size of the panels the same?  AMD might cover just a little bit more area than the other two.

Don't know if your talking full floor pans or just patch panels.

Dreamcar

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)